Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adaptor for internet and TV

• 26-10-2009 4:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭

Really not sure where to put this, so I'll try here. Please move it if there's somewhere more appropriate.

At the moment I have my internet wire and ntl cable using the same connection in the wall which means I cam only use one at a time. I've been told there is an splitter/adapter (apologies for my lack of technology knowledge :o) yoke that I can use so that I can have both on at the same time...

If anyone understands what I mean and knows what it's called that'd be great :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lambchops

You need a coax splitter. One cable will come from the wall point to the splitter and then this will have 2 cables come from it, one to the modem and the other to the tv.
    The NTL/UPC engineer really should have done this when it was installed unless of course you only had the need for a single use i.e not using internet and a tv in the room.
    You can pick up cheap ones in any decent hardware shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

lambchops wrote: »
    You need a coax splitter. One cable will come from the wall point to the splitter and then this will have 2 cables come from it, one to the modem and the other to the tv.
    The NTL/UPC engineer really should have done this when it was installed unless of course you only had the need for a single use i.e not using internet and a tv in the room.
    You can pick up cheap ones in any decent hardware shop.

Thanks a lot. Very helpful.
    It was originally just for the internet and then putting the TV in the same room was an afterthought.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

So basically trying to rob service ya?

hightower1 wrote: »

Huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

He's paying for Internet and TV from UPC. How is that theft if he wants to use both at the same time?

UPC should provide a box (or replace your current one), that has 2 outputs, one for the cable modem, and one for the TV.

• Advertisement

Because if the point he has broadband on was a broadband AND tv point it would have a splitter already attached by the NTL tech, NTL charge for ADDITIONAL catv points to be installed and rented per month hence one of their techs woud have put in a dedicated splitter for both services there. A NTL catv subscription only means one point, not all the house. Additional points are extra.

No they're not. I got it all installed at no charge.

You should ask UPC to sort this out, that's what you pay them for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

Because if the point he has broadband on was a broadband AND tv point it would have a splitter already attached by the NTL tech, NTL charge for ADDITIONAL catv points to be installed and rented per month hence one of their techs woud have put in a dedicated splitter for both services there. A NTL catv subscription only means one point, not all the house. Additional points are extra.

Complete rubbish!
    Analogue CATV carries RTE, TV3 TG4 FTA (free to air). This means that anybody is entitled to view them by connecting a TV to the cable and tuning the channels in on the VHF tuner.
    You are not permitted to make a connection to the external tap off out side the house, but you are entitled to connect and split from the outlet provided in the house, whether you are a subscriber or not. Use an F type splitter and f connectors. (maplin or similar can provide or any aerial and satellite installer).

Now THAT is a complete load, catv cabling is ran from house to house is owned and the signal is supplied via UPC. Yes terrestrial channels are FTA but the only LEGAL way to access them is via an Ariel NOT upc's catv signal.

Paying for one point and then splitting this to additional points is called theft of service as you are only paying form one outlet additional points are charged.
    UPC actively send around piracy crews and test the lines for this so its up to you.

If the OP had an authorized additional catv point where he wants it he wouldn't have to be here asking how to jerry rig a broadband point to supply both services at once and this would already have been done by UPC.

Also in ordering catv from upc.ie it actually asks are you an existing catv subscriber? Why ask this is an additional point is free?

untitled.png

Its not , in fact an additional catv point is 3.50 a month and 50eur to be set up. I know... I pay for it.

(Note the price above is incorrect as i wont be actually ordering another additional point to prove this)

Nice to see boards.ie not doing anything about members open discussing theft of service though. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lambchops

How is it theft of service. It's been clearly explained there is a point in a room that was initially installed for internet only. I've seen this type of install done by UPC. Now their is a tv in the room. At the moment the cable is being disconnected from the modem and plugged into the tv. All that's been asked is whats needed to split the cable so they can each have their own cable going back to the socket.

And i did point out UPC should have split it.

• Advertisement

lambchops wrote: »
    How is it theft of service. It's been clearly explained there is a point in a room that was initially installed for internet only. I've seen this type of install done by UPC. Now their is a tv in the room. At the moment the cable is being disconnected from the modem and plugged into the tv. All that's been asked is whats needed to split the cable so they can each have their own cable going back to the socket.

And i did point out UPC should have split it.

OMG I dont know how much clearer I can make this... he put the TV SET in there himself... if UPC had this point activated for CATV then a UPC tech would have done this set up at install.... if its an after thought and he called them to get it changed to broadband and catv they would send a tech to do this so he should never have to do this himself unless its not an authorised connection....

CATV - the cable signal and physical cabling from UPC

TV - A television set.

He has brought a tv into the room wanting to hook this up to a broadband point .... if there is no split there its not a paid catv point... if it was UPC would have the split there already.... this is illegal and theft of service... he is on boards asking how to steal service and apparently the mods see nothing wrong with their place of work being used for that? :eek:

In black and white ..... If you want broadband and catv in the same point there is NEVER a need to jerry rig this .... if there is UPC did not set this up hence you have not paid for it hence theft of service.

Also what do you think it does to a signal level when people start cutting into the coax lines and start taking more signal for their priated points??? What would happen a street of houses if say two people did it? Shody splices and splitters let alone the obvious drain on signal levels??? Slow speeds , intermittent broadband connections, poor voip quality, dodgy signal reception and not just for the house in quest anyone in an immediate link chain can get effected - all caused in part by this kind of theft of service. Every house is daisy chaned together and as such is depandant on the quality of the network both inside and outside the house next to them. If a poor quality splice is done or a poor quality split used this will feed back to the exterior tap and lines and hey presto yet another " F**king UPC slow connection" thread on here so sure ... why not try and give advise on how to pirate signal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

jor el wrote: »
    No they're not. I got it all installed at no charge.

You should ask UPC to sort this out, that's what you pay them for.
    Ring 1908 and ask them to send someone out, they will do this free-of-charge. I have been in the same situation. They use more solid splitters than what you can get cheap in your hardware store and I'd advise you to go that route. Quite often, UPC will use screw-in coaxial ends and their engineer will be able to correct this situation very easily.

OMG I dont know how much clearer I can make this... he put the TV SET in there himself... if UPC had this point activated for CATV then a UPC tech would have done this set up at install.... if its an after thought and he called them to get it changed to broadband and catv they would send a tech to do this so he should never have to do this himself unless its not an authorised connection....

CATV - the cable signal and physical cabling from UPC

TV - A television set.

He has brought a tv into the room wanting to hook this up to a broadband point .... if there is no split there its not a paid catv point... if it was UPC would have the split there already.... this is illegal and theft of service... he is on boards asking how to steal service and apparently the mods see nothing wrong with their place of work being used for that? :eek:

In black and white ..... If you want broadband and catv in the same point there is NEVER a need to jerry rig this .... if there is UPC did not set this up hence you have not paid for it hence theft of service.

Also what do you think it does to a signal level when people start cutting into the coax lines and start taking more signal for their priated points??? What would happen a street of houses if say two people did it? Shody splices and splitters let alone the obvious drain on signal levels??? Slow speeds , intermittent broadband connections, poor voip quality, dodgy signal reception and not just for the house in quest anyone in an immediate link chain can get effected - all caused in part by this kind of theft of service. Every house is daisy chaned together and as such is depandant on the quality of the network both inside and outside the house next to them. If a poor quality splice is done or a poor quality split used this will feed back to the exterior tap and lines and hey presto yet another " F**king UPC slow connection" thread on here so sure ... why not try and give advise on how to pirate signal?
    Get off your high horse Hightower.

1/ Nobody is suggesting or endorsing theft of service.

2/ If a television signal is provided to your home you are pefectly entitled to use it. What is illegal and can not be condoned is de-cryption of pay tv channels.

3/ a 2-way f splitter has a typical insertion loss of 8db. This means that the resultant signal after the split will be 8db lower than before the split. (on both legs).
    It does not in any way weaken the signal to other households before the split.
    RF just does not work like that.

4/ UPC will have fitted a return path filter at the master socket. This should not be disturbed . Splits after this are perfectly acceptable technically and can have no negative impact on any part of the CATV system.

5/ There is no such thing as a 'paid CATV point'. You are paying UPC for an additional box on your monthly sub, you are NOT renting internal cabling from them. Of course they will charge you an installation fee to put in an extra point.

6/ Of course the order form for Digital asks if you are an existing analogue customer. What the hell has the t got to do with any additional points????????

I abhor TV piracy in any form , particulary as it impacts on my own business.

This should be moved to Cable, MMDS and IPTV for better informed input.

Rippy wrote: »
    Get off your high horse Hightower.

1/ Nobody is suggesting or endorsing theft of service.

2/ If a television signal is provided to your home you are pefectly entitled to use it. What is illegal and can not be condoned is de-cryption of pay tv channels.

3/ a 2-way f splitter has a typical insertion loss of 8db. This means that the resultant signal after the split will be 8db lower than before the split. (on both legs).
    It does not in any way weaken the signal to other households before the split.
    RF just does not work like that.

4/ UPC will have fitted a return path filter at the master socket. This should not be disturbed . Splits after this are perfectly acceptable technically and can have no negative impact on any part of the CATV system.

5/ There is no such thing as a 'paid CATV point'. You are paying UPC for an additional box on your monthly sub, you are NOT renting internal cabling from them. Of course they will charge you an installation fee to put in an extra point.

6/ Of course the order form for Digital asks if you are an existing analogue customer. What the hell has the t got to do with any additional points????????

I abhor TV piracy in any form , particulary as it impacts on my own business.

This should be moved to Cable, MMDS and IPTV for better informed input.

Excuse me rippy but get a clue...

1 yes the whole basic foundation of the thread is how to access catv signal from a broadband point when it has not been paid for... the very basic level of theft of service. If this is your business I really hope I never have to deal with joker businesses like yours.

2 Yes a tv signal is send to a POINT in the home not an entire home, UPC sell these per point not per household. Again more illustration of your lack of knowledge here is that you mention decryption of pay tv services is illegal.... so you dont pay for catv signal no? Of coarse you do so you are in fact stealing a service which IS paid for, and even more ridiculous is that you completely ignore or are clueless to the fact that UPC catv signal not only includes fta channels but others such as sky etc so are you suggesting its fine to pirate catv.. as long as you only tune in the fta channels?! lol.

3 did I mention "weakening" the signal to other houses??? I believe I mentioned the rf feedback through the catv line which is possible. dont give up the day job and in ether case if you are effecting the internal harness you will be effecting your own system also.

4 You mention return path filters? As you SHOULD know these are not fool proof and if there is static feedback from shody catv splices these will vary th db too much to filter effectively.

5 lol lol point 5 truely shows what you know! you pay for a "box" what are you on about this is about CATV not DTV???? And if you are paying for a main or additional catv point you are indeed not paying for the internal wiring but you ARE paying for the signal.

6 the order form above is for catv! Look at the description eagle eyes.

You come to me with an attitude here and a sub par level of knowledge throwing poorly constructed and fundamentally flawed arguments please become better informed and stop talking rubbish if your going to try and make any valid points.

Not paying for additional catv points is theft of the signal and service, if your expected to pay for this by the supplier and your not then it is black and white.

I didn't think this would cause such a debate!

Firstly, I'm not try to steal anything. I thought getting a splitter like that was legal.

I had my TV in one room and have decided to move it into another, where the internet box is, hence the need for the two to be going into the same connection in the wall. I didn't have them in the same place originally because if you put the internet box in the same room where the TV was the signal was crap all over the house. Dunno why.

I'm fairly confused by what you're all saying but it seems like I should ring em up and get them to sort it out? What exactly would I be stealing by buying a splitter out of interest? In layman terms if you could...

This has gone far enough, the crap about stealing ends now.
    WeeBushy wrote:
    What exactly would I be stealing by buying a splitter out of interest?

Nothing, since you've paid for a TV signal. You could ring UPC, but they may charge a fee to install a new point. You can get an F splitter in Maplin.

jor el wrote: »
    This has gone far enough, the crap about stealing ends now.

Nothing, since you've paid for a TV signal. You could ring UPC, but they may charge a fee to install a new point. You can get an F splitter in Maplin.

Exactly the point I was making. Hightower genuinely seems to believe that UPC should be paid for any additional TV point in a house, regardless of whether it is in use or not, as long as it is connected to the cable system.
    I have provided Chorus to apartments as part of an integrated TV system including satellite and terrestrial signals . These can have more than 100 outlets.
    If you are to believe Hightower each householder would have to pay UPC , just because the signal is there at points in their apartment.

So yes , get a F splitter, connect it properly, and watch TV either via your (legal) set top box or by directly tuning the Irish Domestic channels .
    End of story.

Deadly,

Thanks for your help guys. Appreciate it.

WeeBushy

Exactly the point I was making. Hightower genuinely seems to believe that UPC should be paid for any additional TV point in a house, regardless of whether it is in use or not, as long as it is connected to the cable system.

How many different ways do I need to tell ye yer wrong? Let this be the last.... black and white proof ... my UPC bill with ADDITIONAL CATV POINT CHARGE.

If its an authorized CATV feed in the house you pay for this, per point... end of story.

catv2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

as much as I hate to do it, I have to agree with hightower1 in this case, I do believe he's correct.

when we moved into our current house, chorus were offerrng to install in the main tv room and an extra analogue TV point in the bedroom was going to be an extra monthly charge, so I got a video sender instead which cost me money initially, but which was then free rather than paying chorus monthly so that the missus would watch 20 minutes of tv to send her to sleep in the evenings.

from what i understand though, once you have any one of the 3 services that they offer, be it broadband, tv or phone (or any combination of) it all comes in on the one line and and the TV signal is on regardless of if you are actually paying for that or not, although using it and not paying for it would be that word that jor el says we're not allowed to say any more. :)

BUT, in WeeBushy's defence, if he's only got one TV and is only using one point AND paying for it, I don't see that he's doing anything wrong if all he's done is move his TV from one TV point to another and if he is paying for one TV point and broadband I'm pretty sure that he's entitled to use both at the same time so a splitter from Maplins would seem like a simple and relatively legit way to go about doing things rather than paying a UPC engineer to come out and put one on for you and probably charge you 50 quid for the pleasure. :)

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    BUT, in WeeBushy's defence, if he's only got one TV and is only using one point AND paying for it, I don't see that he's doing anything wrong if all he's done is move his TV from one TV point to another and if he is paying for one TV point and broadband I'm pretty sure that he's entitled to use both at the same time so a splitter from Maplins would seem like a simple and relatively legit way to go about doing things rather than paying a UPC engineer to come out and put one on for you and probably charge you 50 quid for the pleasure. :)

With respect thats just cemantics really... pirated points are ok as long as you only have one tv in house to use? DB issues will still be caused by the pirated point and its still theft of service. Its like the old argument of I wont need a tv license as I wont turn on my tv.
    That wont float with the inspector and I doubt it would float with UPC piracy crews.

That wont float with the inspector and I doubt it would float with UPC piracy crews.
    i didn't know either of those existed.

i assume he's got a TV licence which would be where the job of the TV licence inspector starts and ends and i'm not aware of any other sort of inspector or there being such a thing as a UPC piracy crew. i know quite a few people who were using "dodgyboxes" up until the recent upgrades and never heard of any of them getting caught by any kind of piracy crew.

you do know a lot about UPC though so i'll take your word for it. i'll just assume that these crews are only half pirate and the other half is ninja which is why we never see them. :)

Ok , I think I know where the confusion lies.:confused:
    Im in Cork, and unlike the rest of the country, Cork Multichannel (later Chorus,UPC) used analogue encryption, requiring boxes (Jerrold).
    Only the four Irish channels were carried in the clear on the cable . This is still the case. Therefore any extension , put in by Chorus or anybody else, would only give the domestic channels when connected to a TV tuner. This was legal and above board.
    This remains the case , the difference now is Chorus do not provide any analogue subscriptions and boxes to Cork customers, only digital. However the 4 analogue domestic channels have been left on the cable as a service, whether you are a Chorus customer or not. I have not had it offically confirmed ,but I beleive they are prvoided to compensate customers for having an ugly cable and tap off units crossing their fascia board. An incentive not to remove it?

The situation in other areas I now understand is different, some , like Hightower (Limerick?) still have a range of analogue channels (not just domestic) on the cable. which are not encrypted. I agree therefore, that each point should be paid for.

Sorry for any confusion, I was not comparing like with like.

If anyone is interested this thread makes the Cork situation a bit clearer.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055281569&highlight=chorus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Ok , I think I know where the confusion lies.:confused:
    Im in Cork, and unlike the rest of the country, Cork Multichannel (later Chorus,UPC) used analogue encryption, requiring boxes (Jerrold).
    Only the four Irish channels were carried in the clear on the cable . This is still the case. Therefore any extension , put in by Chorus or anybody else, would only give the domestic channels when connected to a TV tuner. This was legal and above board.
    This remains the case , the difference now is Chorus do not provide any analogue subscriptions and boxes to Cork customers, only digital. However the 4 analogue domestic channels have been left on the cable as a service, whether you are a Chorus customer or not. I have not had it offically confirmed ,but I beleive they are prvoided to compensate customers for having an ugly cable and tap off units crossing their fascia board. An incentive not to remove it?

The situation in other areas I now understand is different, some , like Hightower (Limerick?) still have a range of analogue channels (not just domestic) on the cable. which are not encrypted. I agree therefore, that each point should be paid for.

Sorry for any confusion, I was not comparing like with like.

If anyone is interested this thread makes the Cork situation a bit clearer.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055281569&highlight=chorus
    I'm not versed on the Cork situation, but yes, you're correct about Limerick and most other areas. You can get the domestic channels, BBC One/Two, UTV, Chennel 4, Comedy Central, and Sky One/News, etc. on the cable alone. If the feed is active into your home, then you'll get those channels without the aid of additional equipment. You'd just tune them in the old fashioned way on your TV.

ooh, looks like somebody didn't know everything about UPC after all. :)

well, i'm a big enough man to admit when I was wrong, i''m just glad i didn't go on an unholy rant to try and prove an incorrect point. :D

Advertisement