Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Microsoft ever support MKVs on the Xbox?

• 26-10-2009 5:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if Microsoft are going to add MKV support to the Xbox?

I read something online about Div X 7 add MKV support for Windows 7 and that this might have a knock on effect for the Xbox...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Doubt it. Last MS presentation I was at about Windows 7 a few months back and the MS rep. confirmed no support for MKV's as it's regarded as a codec used to pirate Blu Ray and high def content. So I'd assume the same applies for no support on 360.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Flaccus wrote: »
    MS rep. confirmed no support for MKV's as it's regarded as a codec used to pirate Blu Ray and high def content.

But MKV is not a codec it's a container format. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Well the PS3 is an "official" DivX product and since MKV is going to be part of DivX 7 it would seem logical that it would be the first to receive such support in a firmware update. If that does happen then you're almost guaranteed MS will jump on the chance to add it to the 360.

As for the Windows 7 issue, more info on that can be found here.

In the meantime you can always just use an app like Tversity to transcode and stream to your console on the fly. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I have a Mac so no Tversity for me unfortunately. Shame Xbox is a good media centre but this is just one of the things they need to address.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I never got tversity to work with mkvs at all :(

Eventually gave up trying and ran a hdmi cable from my pc to my tv :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

silvine, there is a app you can get for the Mac called Connect360 which offers similar functionality to Tversity. You can download a trial version for free from their website but the full version costs $20 unfortunately.

kaimera, indeed it's a pain in the arse to setup BUT if you want to give it another try do the following.

- Make sure Tversity is not installed.

- Get rid of every codec pack on your machine, double check they're removed with CCCP Insurgent.

- Reboot.

- Download the Vista Codec Pack from here. This is a great pack to use and will play everything you throw at your PC.

- Once installed, fire up the Settings Application and go to the ffdshow Video Config. Here, click on the subs box on the left (to support the displaying of subs if required) and ensure that H.264/AVC is using ffmpeg-mt and the other important ones such as XviD and DivX are using libavcodec.

- Now, install Tversity. During install do not install their codec pack.

- Finally, you need to give the Tversity service admin privileges on the machine. This can be done through Control Panel->Admin Tools->Services, then double-clicking on Tversity, going to Log On and selecting "This Account" with your password underneath.

Once all this is done Tversity should play everything you throw at it. At home I use it to transcode 720p movies/TV in the MKV container with a variety of audio from AC3 to DTS and stream them wirelessly over my Wireless-G network without any problems whatsoever. This is also the only way I've gotten the bloody thing to work but once it's setup you won't need to touch it again. :)

Advertisement