Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster match on Saturday at Thomond Park

Options
  • 26-10-2009 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

Are many tickets available for this?

I went to the Cardiff Match in September and there was only 16,000 at it, the atmosphere wasn't great.

If this match is likely to be a sellout then I'll defo get tickets.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Hmmm a game on Halloween.

What time does it start?

If the game is on in the late evening or night all I can say is they sure picked the worst night of the year to bring thousands of people and cars to that area of the city.

You would want to be mental to bring a car anywhere near Thomond Park on that night. Last year cars at the traffic lights in the area were battered with rocks, eggs, sods of turf and spuds.

If you walk watch out for the eggs because they WILL be flying and Rugby fans WILL be targeted.

EDIT: I see it starts at 5.00pm. Yeah this is going to be a disaster.

EDIT 2: See this thread to read about what happens on Halloween in the vicinity of Thomond Park:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055174949

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Starts at 5.

Tickets are on Ticketmaster. Prices from €15 to €40

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

RonMexico wrote: »
    Hmmm a game on Halloween.

What time does it start?

If the game is on in the late evening or night all I can say is they sure picked the worst night of the year to bring thousands of people and cars to that area of the city.

You would want to be mental to bring a car anywhere near Thomond Park on that night. Last year cars at the traffic lights in the area were battered with rocks, eggs, sods of turf and spuds.

If you walk watch out for the eggs because they WILL be flying and Rugby fans WILL be targeted.

EDIT: I see it starts at 5.00pm. Yeah this is going to be a disaster.

EDIT 2: See this thread to read about what happens on Halloween in the vicinity of Thomond Park:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055174949

+1 on this, all those visiting cars will be sitting ducks for eggs and bangers and whatever else, town already sounds like a warzone at night with the amount of bangers going off every few minutes , wont be pretty come saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

krudler wrote: »
    +1 on this, all those visiting cars will be sitting ducks for eggs and bangers and whatever else, town already sounds like a warzone at night with the amount of bangers going off every few minutes , wont be pretty come saturday

Very true. The area is basically a war zone on halloween night(personal experience of living there). I am going to the match and yes its 5pm.

As I live outside Limerick I usually park in my sister in laws driveway across from thomond park(kileely side) but this time I will park in Corbally and walk with my friend. Much better off.

Getting eggs off your car is a nightmare! :mad:

I forsee a low attendance because everybody will likely have the same pre-conceptions of what the area will be like on the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I'm going to wreak havoc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

5.30 k.o. n'est pas?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Berty wrote: »

Getting eggs off your car is a nightmare! :mad:

It is when its mixed in with flour!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

thing is the gardaí are now forced to have a strong presence there, thanks to the game, so I'm expecting it not to be a major problem.

I'm not so sure they will make a difference when there are gangs and gangs of kids roaving around the whole area.

Also are these Gardai going to be diverted from other areas of Limerick for the game? I don't know how that works exactly but surely they will be up to their eyes in hassle that night in other areas anyway. They are probably cursing the IRFU for scheduling it on Halloween night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

well they usually have a huge event management truck outside, with CCTV coverage of the whole area, reserve gardaí on the junctions,and along all the paths etc.

• Advertisement

Well hopefully everything will go smoothly.

I'm not so sure they will make a difference when there are gangs and gangs of kids roaving around the whole area.

Also are these Gardai going to be diverted from other areas of Limerick for the game? I don't know how that works exactly but surely they will be up to their eyes in hassle that night in other areas anyway. They are probably cursing the IRFU for scheduling it on Halloween night.

+1 on this, the guards are already spending all their time chasing little shytes down and taking their hauls of sweets back to the station as edible evidence:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,311 ✭✭✭✭phog

Guys ye're making it out to like a war zone, it's hardly the first game to played on Halloween and everyone survived. A bit of common sense on where you park and how get to and from the field will help greatly.

Kick-Off is at 17:00 and tickets are still available on ticketmaster and heads up for those interested in the Cannacht game in TP on St. Stephen's Day tickets are available now on ticketmaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Well hopefully everything will go smoothly.
    I'm sure it will. The usual over reaction merchants are out in force.

*Que IrishVamp with a story about a horrific egging last halloween.*

Uhm well that is because those areas are like warzones Halloween night.

Why do you think all the businesses close early?

Egss you can deal with, no matter how annoying, but battering cars and motorbikes with rocks, spuds, fireworks and turf is madness.

I'm sure anyone who lives in the area can tell you plenty of horror stories.

It frequently goes far beyond typical Halloween pranks around there. One year the trend was to light boxes of firelighters and put them in peoples letterboxes. Some old woman living on her own had her front door burnt down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Aidric wrote: »
    I'm sure it will. The usual over reaction merchants are out in force.

*Que IrishVamp with a story about a horrific egging last halloween.*

Hi aidric have you a problem with me that you had to mention my name?Alot of my posts point out scumbags and anti social behaviour which i think is wrong and should be highlighted,you make it seem like i make it up for the craic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

It is bad timing for the match so people use common sense and hopfully there will be a strong garda/security presence

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Egss you can deal with, no matter how annoying, but battering cars and motorbikes with rocks, spuds, fireworks and turf is madness.

It frequently goes far beyond typical Halloween pranks around there. One year the trend was to light boxes of firelighters and put them in peoples letterboxes. Some old woman living on her own had her front door burnt down.

That trend was there last year also. My parents had some scrotes come over their back wall and start a fire under their oil tank.

The scrotes then casually climbed out and sat across the road feeling tough after terrifying two pensioners. The Gardai were rang and never came. So my mother rang me and I went over to stay the night instead and will be going over to spend the night again this year as the scrote level in their area has just gotten worse and the garda responses have managed to get even worse too.

As for out the Thomond Park area around Halloween, I have no idea what it is like out there as I don't think I have ever been there at Halloween, but I imagine it is no worse/better than the other parts of limerick at Halloween.

Best thing that could happen next Saturday evening/night is for there to be lots and lots of heavy rain.

I spnt a lot of my childhood down in St Marys Park, that place was a no go area on Halloween night, I've seen people destroyed in paint filled water balloons, peoples front doors set on fire, bangers tied to animal collars (that was sickening, some ****er tied a load of bangers to a cat and blew the poor things head half off) I love halloween but that side of it ruins it

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

Kess73 wrote: »
    That trend was there last year also. My parents had some scrotes come over their back wall and start a fire under their oil tank.

The scrotes then casually climbed out and sat across the road feeling tough after terrifying two pensioners. The Gardai were rang and never came. So my mother rang me and I went over to stay the night instead and will be going over to spend the night again this year as the scrote level in their area has just gotten worse and the garda responses have managed to get even worse too.

Trouble with Scum bags climbing your wall? Look here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punji_stick It's a few hours work but trust me, it works ;). Oh, by the way, make sure you or a friend defecate on it, it gives them blood poisoning.....

• Advertisement

Jaysus :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Trouble with Scum bags climbing your wall? Look here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punji_stick It's a few hours work but trust me, it works ;). Oh, by the way, make sure you or a friend defecate on it, it gives them blood poisoning.....

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

:D:D Awesome. Broken glass is nice too, especially the screaming as they rip their hands and knees to shreds crawling across it. If any of them try a case for damages, you can simply say its for keeping pigeons out.

I have heard of people putting grease on walls but you guys are hardcore :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I have heard of people putting grease on walls but you guys are hardcore :D

Grease will only wreck their tracksuits. You want to leave them with something much more memorable. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

DarkJager wrote: »
    Grease will only wreck their tracksuits. You want to leave them with something much more memorable. :D

yeah and long lasting.....like blood poisoning.....:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

I do not condone anything that commit harm to others.

Now the PR spiel is out of the way, I will be building my own Punji stick pit outside my front door starting tonight to test the theory, that others will do harm to themselves. :D
    and Attaching the remaining Punji sticks on my car to get to Thomond park to see the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,311 ✭✭✭✭phog

Decent enough crowd attended last nights game with a great result for all the Munster fans. From what I could see a good night was hard by all.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

phog wrote: »
    Decent enough crowd attended last nights game with a great result for all the Munster fans. From what I could see a good night was hard by all.

For everybody except O'Gara from what I was looking at. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Berty wrote: »
    For everybody except O'Gara from what I was looking at. :D

His kicking off the tee has really been awful recently...

Anywho, I was working at the game last night, and it was easily my most pleasant experience there yet. Apart from one or two idiots making noises during penalties/conversions, the crowd was great and the atmosphere was lovely. Only 10 or so kids ran onto the pitch after the game, and even they left pretty quickly. :)

Advertisement