Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&Q

Options
  • 26-10-2009 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

holy crap, just got a few sheets of osb from b&q... £20.48/8x4 sheet on the uk site... over €30 here... when are uk companies going to stop ripping us off here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

1. When you stop buying them...(pre B&Q I wouldn't have had a clue where to get any of these things...) I have a feeling you only got angry after purchasing the items and checking out the english site

2. When we pay lower wages in ireland...

3. When operating costs like water & electricity are cheaper

4. Shipping costs from UK!

5. Have you tried woodies (by your own logic they should be cheaper as they are not a UK company)

If you're in business you charge what the market will bare not what you think is a 'fair' price....even if less people buy the product at a higher price the profit margin could be higher...

Sorry for being so mean but it's a free market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

minikin wrote: »
    holy crap, just got a few sheets of osb from b&q... £20.48/8x4 sheet on the uk site... over €30 here... when are uk companies going to stop ripping us off here?

B&Q for your light bulbs and house plants.

local building providers for you sterling board
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Proper builder suppliers are cheaper again, convenience places like Woodies & B&Q are aimed squarely at the less price savy DIY market.
    (Oops gsxr1 got there first).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

I have a fine selection of builders merchants near where i work but the problem is I can't get to them when they're open (had looked into them for getting kingspan sheets)

I hear what you're saying armelodie... but I hate hearing higher wages, oherheads and shipping as an excuse for a major price differential - for one reason: corporation tax rates. This more than compensates them for a higher cost base here.

As for shipping... you can't be telling me that it's cheaper to send a truck from Doncaster to their Derry store than it is from Doncaster to Dublin? Surely they do combination deliveries for all stores on the island?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

minikin wrote: »
    I have a fine selection of builders merchants near where i work but the problem is I can't get to them when they're open (had looked into them for getting kingspan sheets)

I hear what you're saying armelodie... but I hate hearing higher wages, oherheads and shipping as an excuse for a major price differential - for one reason: corporation tax rates. This more than compensates them for a higher cost base here.

As for shipping... you can't be telling me that it's cheaper to send a truck from Doncaster to their Derry store than it is from Doncaster to Dublin? Surely they do combination deliveries for all stores on the island?

Fair enough minkin,,,I suppose it does come down to charging what the market will bare...if you didn't shop there then they'd have to reduce the price..(or not stock the product).but... those builders merchants times are pretty dire alright so shopping round isn't really an option...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

It's a pity alright, I found that murdocks were very helpful & willing to do a deal... in the end I just couldn't afford the kingspan panels (work is slowing down, my wages aren't being paid as regularly as I'd like!)

Advertisement