Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drilling into Polyfilla?

Options
  • 26-10-2009 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I am attempting to hang a large and heavy bathroom cabinet onto plasterboard walls. One of the drill holes became too big and the rawlplug is loose. I have filled it with Polyfilla and intend to re-drill when it's properly set tomorrow. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Doesn't seem like a great plan tbh. Are you getting a proper fixing for the cabinet, and not just hanging it on the plasterboard it self?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

I have plasterboard rawlplugs that I've used before and work well (as long as the hole is not too big!), with heavy-duty screws. The cabinet will hang on these. Also, I have used two modesty blocks underneath the cabinet to provide extra support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i find the spring loaded buterfly plugs are far better for spreading the load and if you drill the hole a small bit too big it should not really matter too much

http://www.transtools.co.uk/store/images/uploads/plasterboard-spring-toggle.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

If you can find a wooden stud in the wall, it makes things very easy....

Or just use one of the following (as others have said above)
    http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/fixingtoplasterboard.htm

Cheers.
    Let you know how it goes.

• Advertisement

If you can find a wooden stud in the wall, it makes things very easy....

Or just use one of the following (as others have said above)
    http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/fixingtoplasterboard.htm

+1 on the wooden stud but i dont personally like the other fittings.

i think the have the capcity to make a bigger mess again. but that just my own opinion

Martron wrote: »
    +1 on the wooden stud but i dont personally like the other fittings.

i think the have the capcity to make a bigger mess again. but that just my own opinion

Unfortunately that's not an option on the required wall. Got to look at the mounting options.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

To answer directly, my view is that the polyfilla will not have any strength and will not really be any use to take a screw or a plug of any sort.

I've just mounted it.

Pollyfilla in to bulk up the hole that was slightly too big - 2 days to dry. Made a much smaller hole and slowly forced in a plastic version of the butterfly rawlplug that was deliberately too small for the screw - with the end cut open so the screw could go through.

I tested this first beforehand and the rawlplug expanded considerably around the screw. This held very solidly. Cabinet up with two small modesty blocks jammed right up underneath. Looks good and appears to be holding tight.

Thanks for the help.

fair play

• Advertisement
Advertisement