Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homemade chips. Sticking to chip pan.

Options
  • 26-10-2009 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Everytime i make homemade chips they keep sticking to the chippan when i try to turn them after 15 - 20 minutes. What am i doing wrong. I peel the potatoes, chop them up, put them in a bowl, add olive oil and pepper, mix it up, put on chip pan and in the oven at 200 celcius. Maybe it is just a bad chippan but ye might know some other reason or tip.

Thanks

Rylan

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

When you say chip pan do you mean baking tin? If so, sheet of baking parchment or one of those reusable magic sheets would stop them sticking. Also, you didn't mention rinsing the chips in cold water and then drying them off - this is very important as it removes a lot of the starch.
    When I'm making thick oven chips I always steam them for 10-15 minutes (after rinsing them) then pop them into the oven with the oil etc for 25 minutes. That way they're fluffy in the middle and crisp on the outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Probably means a chip tray with holes in the bottom to circulate the air.

As Dizzyblonde said the washing and drying of the chips before you put them on the pan is important as it rinses the starch.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Rylan

Thanks for the replies people. I did mean the tray with the holes in it. I did wash the potatoes before i cut them but not after. Will give that a try. Should I be using a particular type of tray?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've never used a special tray, just any baking tray will do once you line it with parchment. Avoid anything with very high sides like a roasting tin though because the chips wouldn't crisp.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I tend to do them in a standard baking tray but heat the oil in the tray first and then add the chips to the tray and shake them around a bit to cover them in the oil. Normally stops them sticking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

It's easy enough to deep fry them at home, just half fill a pot with vegetable oil, heat it up and throw carefully lower them in. (Of course you have to go through rigorous de-starching first, and possibly par-boil them first for better results)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭smallgarden

think aldi or lidl are doing tray with holes for oven chips at the mo

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It's easy enough to deep fry them at home, just half fill a pot with vegetable oil, heat it up and throw carefully lower them in. (Of course you have to go through rigorous de-starching first, and possibly par-boil them first for better results)
    think aldi or lidl are doing tray with holes for oven chips at the mo
    Lads, did you even read the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Invest in one of the spray oils - Olive Oil or Sunflower Oil. Spray the pan lightly before preparing/placing the chips as normal and then on the pan & into the hot oven. Don't heat the pan beforehand. There is no need really to turn them unless you want to.

Works for me. Actually if you're looking for a lighter alternative simply spray the pan, place the chips on the pan with no oil and then spray the chips. Season as you like but S*woods Chicken Seasoning is lovely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Try rubbing the chip in flour too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

A quick toss regularly (2-3min) will stop them sticking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

A quick toss regularly (2-3min) will stop them sticking.

Chortle :D

/juvenile schoolboy humour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Des wrote: »
    Chortle :D

/juvenile schoolboy humour

slight snigger

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

As mentioned above you oil needs to be very hot before adding anything. I would not use those trays with holes in. I would get the oil really hot then tip chips in and move them around every few mins. Let them cook for about 10 mins then drain the oil off and cook again for 10 mins to crisp up. Timings are only approx - keep an eye on them.

Also dont use olive oil. Its not meant to perform at very high temps. Use sunflower or vegetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

I'd either user something other than olive oil or else just cook at a much lower temperature- maybe 140.

Olive oil is very, very dense and doesn't do well at high temps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 corkage

Invest in a deep fat fryer, cook the chips in two stages.about 6-8 mins at 140 degrees...rest.... and 4-6 mins at 190 degrees. Maris Piper potatoes work best.Home made chips to die for.:P

Advertisement