Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The LONG LONG road to Rotterdam

• 26-10-2009 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've decided that I'm going to run my first ever marathon next April 11th in Rotterdam.

A bit of background: Aged 24 now. I started running in February 2008 and I trained specifically for the Great Ireland Run 10k that April. In March 2008 I ran a 5k in 21:46, and then ran the Great Ireland Run 10k in 46:59. After that I trained for TriAthlone Sprint Triathlon in July 2008. Time wasnt the main goal, and I got through it in 1hr53. Finishing was the main goal.

After that I took a good 8-9 months off doing any sort of running, and started back February 2009 and trained for the Wexford Half Marathon. I ran the Great Ireland Run 10k again in April, this time a little slower in 47:25, and then went on to run the Wexford Half in 1hr49:06 which was under my goal time of 1hr50. I ran this race based on about 65 miles of training over 2 months.

After that, I trained for the TriAthy Olympic Triathlon end of May this year. Again the goal was just to get through it, which I did in 3hrs45.

Then took a few months off and started back mid september for the Rathfarnham 5k and ran it in 21:02 (3 seconds off my goal).

So that takes me up to where I am now. I've decided I want a new challenge and have decided to take on the marathon. Rotterdam looks very appealling as its a completely flat course. The main goal is to get through it in a respectable time (around 4hr15ish) but a part of me would love to go sub 4 hours and it could be very possible.

Started training on saturday, and ran 4.5 miles at a marathon pace in about 41:25, and I ran again today, again at Marathon pace, this time 5.75 miles in 51:55. I'm still finding it hard to get used to running at such a slow pace. It almost feels like I'm putting more weight on my legs running at a slow pace. I guess its something I'll have to get used to.

I plan to run 3 times a week. 2 days midweek in the evenings will be short fastish runs (maybe 3-4 miles to start off with) and 1 weekend Long Run. I dont plan on running 2 days in a row under any circumstances. I dont want to overtrain which is why I think 3 days a week would be about right.

Have a wedding next weekend so there will be zero LSR then, and the following weekend I have the 10k in Crookstown, so it will be 3 weeks before I get to do a LSR again. Will probably bump it up to 6.75 miles then.

I'm going to buy myself a Garmin 305 to keep track of my pacing. I'm hoping that I can run at 9 minute mile pace. If I can do that then sub 4 should be on.

Went out to watch the Dublin Marathon today. Was very inspirational and motivational. A real sort of "if he can do it then so can I" type of thing. So much so that its really annoying that I'll have to wait nearly 6 months to run one of my own :(:D I REALLY wanted to be out there today. Was very jealous of everyone.

Any advice and tips would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

I realise it probably wasnt the best day to set up a training log for a Marathon nearly 6 months down the road, with all the race reports from the DCM today. Bad timing. :D

First short run this evening. Did 5.2km in 24:10. I wasnt running flat out but did try to run a good pace. I was a good bit off the 4 runs I did on the same course in training for the Rathfarnham 5k (22:31, 22:13, 22:25, 22:47) and even if I pushed myself from the very start I dont think I'd have got close to those times, which is dissappointing. It seems like the 2 slow runs at the weekend have taken some of the speed from my legs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good luck on the log. May be seeing you in Rotterdam. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Given that we have the same goal I'll be following this log a fair bit and I wish you the best of luck.
    If your looking for reading material you should consider advanced marathoning, it's nearly a must.
    Regarding running 3 times a week, thats great till you find your feet and get to know your body, you have 24 weeks so you've plenty of time to build upto running 5 times a week which will make your marathon experience alot more enjoyable, if you build up slowly you won't be at risk of over training and well done for taking the plunge.

Woddle wrote: »
    Given that we have the same goal I'll be following this log a fair bit and I wish you the best of luck.
    If your looking for reading material you should consider advanced marathoning, it's nearly a must.
    Regarding running 3 times a week, thats great till you find your feet and get to know your body, you have 24 weeks so you've plenty of time to build upto running 5 times a week which will make your marathon experience alot more enjoyable, if you build up slowly you won't be at risk of over training and well done for taking the plunge.

The reason I was thinking 3 times a week is that I'm worried that if I up it to 5 days I could get injured. Once my LSR's go over 13 miles I'll be going into the unknown quite a bit and it could take my body a good 3-4 days to recover from these sessions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

04072511 wrote: »
    The reason I was thinking 3 times a week is that I'm worried that if I up it to 5 days I could get injured. Once my LSR's go over 13 miles I'll be going into the unknown quite a bit and it could take my body a good 3-4 days to recover from these sessions.

Once you get to that stage do not increase your training by more than 10% a week and you should be fine. It is something that i think EVERYONE is afraid off. Best of luck with the log!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

Woddle wrote: »

Don't be put off by the title I followed the training program in this for dublin on Monday and completed it well (for me).

Your target time should be sub 4 as well running that half time and 10k time. Maybe even 3:50.

Get a plan that starts 18 weeks out and train up to that plan now. What I mean by this is the plan will average 30-50 miles (or something like that) so use this time now to build up the distance to that plan.

Lastly, don't worry about injury just keep the build up gradual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭aero2k

If you train hard 5 days per week you almost certainly will get injured, or at least worn out. However, gentle recovery runs can be easier on the body than doing nothing at all, at least in my experience. I think a lot of us on here have noticed that the legs can feel worst 2 days after a big effort than 1 day after, so if you're running every second day you could be constantly running on stiff legs.
    4 years ago I ran about 3 times per week, and I was sore after every one. That never went away until I Increased the frequency, and in some cases the duration, of the runs.
    Have a look at Tergat's posts on this.

First run since last Wednesday. 4 days off for a boozy wedding weekend down the country. Did the same 5.2km (3.25miles) course that I did the last day. This time I gave it a bit more early on and came home in 22min 25secs. Happy with that. It seems the little break has put the speed back into my legs after a slowish day last wednesday.

On wednesday I'll probably go a bit easier, maybe for 6-7km and then rest up until Saturday when I have the 10k Crookstown Motorway Run. It supposed to be a flat course so hopefully I can smash my PB of 46:59. A sub 46 would be nice. Not sure how prepared I am for it though as I havent been doing any 10k specific training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Hey number,
    Rotterdam, nice one! Best of luck with the log. Enjoy your running.

• Advertisement

6.25KM run tonight at an easy enough pace in 29:46 (well easy with regards not being anywhere near out of breath, the legs however felt a little stiff/ heavy).

Time to rest up now until saturday when I run the 10k Motorway Run. Hoping to go sub 46 or at least sub my PB of 46:59. Not sure how possible that is at the moment though. I trained quite specifically for the 10k when I ran my PB at the Great Ireland Run last year. I'll give it a go anyway. Its a flat course so that should help.

Right off to the pub now to undo all the good work from this evening :D

Ran the Crookstown 10km motorway run today. Delighted with my time. A PB of 45:32 and 78th place (5km split was 22:14). The wind from 5km to 6km was horrific (my km split was nearly 5 minutes there :eek:) but after that the wind wasnt as bad and I just pushed through it and managed to easily beat my target of 45:59 and way ahead of my previous PB of 46:59!

Great organisation. Really enjoyable race and its a shame that it will probably be just a once off.

After saturdays heroics (for want of a better word :D) I took yesterday off and started back again today. The plan was to go for a 7.3km (4.5mile) easy run.

Well pretty much from the first Km onwards I didnt feel great. While I ran at an easy pace and wasnt out of breath at all, my legs felt stiff, with a kind of achey lactic acid type feel. Basically didnt feel comfortable the whole run. Felt very awkward and lousy. So much for an "easy" run. I decided to just do 6.25km (3.9miles) in 32mins 11secs as I didnt see much to be gained from doing the 7th and final lap.

Having a bit of trouble with this whole "easy run" thing. Anytime I go out for an easy run I end up feeling quite sore and stiff in the legs.

Decided to take advantage of the very unusual event of having a weekday afternoon off and did my LSR today rather than this coming Sunday.

Ran 7 miles in 66 minutes. Felt quite stiff at the start and after 4 miles my old nemisis came to great me - Pins and Needles in the Right foot. Theres nothing I can do to stop it it seems so all I could do was grin and bare it. Stopped 3 times for a split second to loosen the shoe and after 10-15 minutes it subsided like it always seems to do and felt good after that. Its just a massive inconvenience.

Oh and decided to incorporate a good lot of grass running into my run and well I fairly destroyed my running shoes. They need a very good cleaning now to say the least. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

That tiredness you felt in the legs must be from the race two days previous? I always have sluggish runs after a race.

A nice 3.65 mile run at a comfortably quick speed (if that makes sense) in 27 minutes 22 seconds.

So after 3 weeks of training I'll do a little analysis.

Total Miles

Week 1: 13.50 Miles
    Week 2: 13.35 Miles
    Week 3: 14.55 Miles

Total: 41.40 Miles

Went running with a friend today which broke up the routine nicely. I wasnt 100% familiar with the route so didnt know the distance starting out. Ran at an easy enough pace, though it felt like I was working hard a little bit. This was probably because I was talking while running (which I rarely ever do) so I was using up a bit more energy on that than I would normally. Ran it in 33 minutes dead. Afterwards when I mapped my run, I was amazed that it was just 3.95 miles. Was a bit dissappointed when I saw that, though I suppose if I was running on my own I'd have gone quicker as I wouldnt have been talking.

Will do 3.25 miles on thursday and then 8 miles LSR on sunday.

Went out for a 3.25 mile run this evening. Ran it in 23mins 39! To be honest I wasnt in the mood to go out running this evening. Been absolutely disgusted all day about Thierry Henry's blatent cheating last night. Its an insult to any of us who compete in any sport at any level by honest means! Absolutely devestated by it to be honest. I wont go on about it (Dont even get me started on FIFA) as its not the correct forum for it, but it affected my attitude towards my training somewhat (rightly or wrongly)! The main thing is that I went out there when I didnt want to which is a good thing. I was so tempted to just head to the pub straight after work with my colleagues. Glad I went home to run. Now I'll head in for a few! Much needed after that shambles last night!:mad:

Today I went for my 4th LSR of my training so far. Did 8.4 Miles in 78 minutes. I felt great during the second half of the run once I got into a rythem. The Pins and Needles were pleasently quiet today. I did get them of course after 4 miles and lasted for 10 minutes but they were not very severe. I dont really know what I did differently today though for them to not be as painful. The severity of them seems to be different each day I go running.

The wind was absolutely crazy today. I've never ran in such conditions before. It seemed to be coming from all directions, and at one point I was almost running on the spot :eek: Did anybody else in the Dublin area attempt to go running today in such conditions? How did you find it?

So after 4 weeks of training:

Total Miles

Week 4: 15.60 Miles

Total: 57.00 Miles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭aero2k

....at one point I was almost running on the spot :eek: Did anybody else in the Dublin area attempt to go running today in such conditions? How did you find it?
    I did 4.7 miles, and I had the running on the spot thing for some of it. I was expecting to be hardly able to move, so I was pleasantly surprised that most of the run was ok. I was in the Phoenix Park so I chose a route that was sort of sheltered or had a tailwind.

• Advertisement

My first run of Week 5 this evening. Ran 3.25 miles in 23 mins 52 secs. I finished very fast so it was a decent exercise of speedwork. This run takes me over the 60 mile mark in training.

This evening I broke my unwritten rule of not to run 2 days in a row. A big event on tomorrow evening and friday will be a write off as a result, so I had no choice. Did 3.9 miles in 29mins 01secs. Ran at a fast pace, though not completely all out. It really does highlight how slowly I did the exact same distance in a few weeks ago! Over 3 minutes slower, though that was just 2 days after a race.

Plan to run 9.75 miles on Saturday. Then getting the Swine Flu vaxine on monday so not sure if I'll have to take a few days off from running to let my body adjust to the vaxine. Not really sure to be honest.

My 5th LSR of my training so far. I did 10.05 miles in 93 minutes on the dot. Absolutely beautiful morning for running. Blue sky, light breeze, cold, but not freezing. Perfect!

So after 5 weeks of training:

Total Miles

Week 5: 17.20 Miles

Total: 74.20 Miles

I'm getting my Swine Flu Vaxine on monday so I'll have to wait until then to ask the doctor when I should run next after that. So next week might be of a lower mileage.

And we have got all the Christmas distractions coming up soon. But am very pleased with the progress thus far. And if I can get to 12 miles LSR before Christmas then it will be a job well done for the first 2 months of training.

A pretty productive day with regards marathon preparation despite not going for a run today. Got my ECG done and its absolutely normal so delighted with that. Booked my flights and hotel aswell.

I plan to run 3.25 miles tomorrow, 3.9 miles on wednesday and then 11 miles on saturday.

Ran 3.9 miles this evening in 27 mins 58 secs. The oul speed is still in the legs :D

Ran 3.25 miles this evening in 24 minutes 34 seconds. Didnt try to run to the same speed as yesterday. Felt a little sluggish at times. Now I'll rest up until saturday when I'll run 11 miles.

Went for an 11.05 mile run today in Marlay Park this afternoon. Completed it in 1 hr 43 minutes. Am happy with the progress.

So after 6 weeks of training:

Total Miles

Week 5: 17.20 Miles
    Week 6: 18.20 Miles

Total: 92.40 Miles

Next week is going to be a light week. I'm going to do two 3.9 mile runs (probably tuesday and thursday) which will take me over the first milestone of training - the 100 mile mark. Then I'll take the weekend off. I was due to run in the Aware 10k next saturday but instead I'm competing in a Pub Golf event next friday (so running the next day simply is not an option). The Euro's are on the sunday which I want to go to so next weekend will be a reward for hitting 100 miles :D

Ran 3.9 miles tonight at an easy pace in a time of 30 minutes 47 seconds. But that doesnt tell the whole story!

I think I've picked up my first marathon training injury :(

About a week and a half ago I ran 10 miles for my LSR. After about 6 miles I felt a little niggle just below my left heel bone on my right foot. Nothing major, just a little ache. It wasnt anything that was going to make me consider stopping. The ache remained throughout the next week. Mainly when I would twist my foot. It wouldnt hurt when walking though, and I ran twice in the next few days and I didnt feel it once. So last saturday I went for a LSR of 11 miles and again I felt the niggle at times when running, but it really was no big deal, and it didnt hurt too bad. Since then I have rested for 3 days in the hope that it would be gone by tonight. Well I could really feel it tonight when running, and it was quite uncomfortable at times. It was grand when running straight but when I would turn a corner it would hurt a little bit. Now I face a dilemma as to whether to listen to my body and take a full week off running to (hopefully) let this niggle go away, or to run tomorrow for 4 miles, as my goal was to be over 100 miles by the end of this week (and tomorrow is the only day I can run for the rest of the week).

Any advice is welcome. What would you do in such a situation?

Are minor injuries innevitable when training for a marathon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

You couldn't make a call on that from afar. Two things though, firstly there'll probably always be something wrong, a niggle, a strain or something else to occupy your mind when training. By definition you're stretching your body's capability and it'll react to that. Secondly, you'll need to get a really good physio on your side between now and the marathon; and not just any physio, one who really understands running. If you don't have one already, maybe use this as an opportunity to find one.

• Advertisement

asimonov wrote: »
    You couldn't make a call on that from afar. Two things though, firstly there'll probably always be something wrong, a niggle, a strain or something else to occupy your mind when training. By definition you're stretching your body's capability and it'll react to that. Secondly, you'll need to get a really good physio on your side between now and the marathon; and not just any physio, one who really understands running. If you don't have one already, maybe use this as an opportunity to find one.

Thanks. What physios in particular would you recommend? How much do they cost by the way?

I have a feeling this was caused by running on grass. I spent about 40% of my last 2 LSR's on grass. It being an uneven surface it probably caused more stress on my ankle. I loosened my
    right shoe after about 35 minutes of my run to relieve those horrid pins and needles I always get so perhaps having my shoe a small bit looser, in combination with running on uneven surfaces would have contributed to this.

Its ironic actually, as the reason I have incorporated grass into my LSR's was to AVOID getting injured!

Have decided to take a full 7-8 days off training and hopefully it will be gone by then.

Advertisement