Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The LONG LONG road to Rotterdam

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

5 Miles today in 39:15. I was running with a mate so we were talking the whole time, which made the run a bit more exhausting than it would normally be. Talking when running is quite tough. I dont plan to be doing any of that during the marathon!

3.25 miles this evening in a reasonably quick 23:14. Now I'll rest up for the next 2 days, as a big day ahead of me on saturday. Plan on doing an 18 miler before the big match!

In the latest installment of "The longest I have ever ran", I completed 18 miles in 2 hours 45 minutes 9 seconds! That was quite tough at times, especially the last 2 miles, but delighted I have got through it now! :D

I'll be sore for a few days I'd say, so I wont run again until next friday! I'll do one more long run before the marathon. That will be in 3 weeks time all things going well, and it will be 20 miles. After that I will taper for the last 5 weeks.

Todays run also takes me over the 200 mile barrier in marathon training. Another milestone!

So Marathon training to date:

Total Miles: 203.60 miles
    Longest LSR: 18.00 miles

Now COME ON IRELAND!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

04072511 wrote: »
    I'll be sore for a few days I'd say, so I wont run again until next friday! I'll do one more long run before the marathon. That will be in 3 weeks time all things going well, and it will be 20 miles. After that I will taper for the last 5 weeks.

Couple of questions... Why take the guts of a week off after an LSR? You can expect to be sore for a day or two but if it's taking you 5 to recover then something is wrong. While you won't lose a huge amount of fitness in 5 days it's certainly not ideal, especially as 5 - 6 weeks out should be when you are hitting peak mileage.

Which leads onto my next question - why a 5 week taper? 3 would be normal and you will lose fitness if you ramp down too soon

Couple of questions... Why take the guts of a week off after an LSR? You can expect to be sore for a day or two but if it's taking you 5 to recover then something is wrong. While you won't lose a huge amount of fitness in 5 days it's certainly not ideal, especially as 5 - 6 weeks out should be when you are hitting peak mileage.

Which leads onto my next question - why a 5 week taper? 3 would be normal and you will lose fitness if you ramp down too soon

The thing is I know how my body reacts to long runs! I'm not a high mileage runner. I run 2-3 times a week (because I'm not willing to sacrifice my social life to this at the age of 24) so I'm well used to taking long rests between runs. I usually take 2-3 days off after a regular run, so it seems only natural to take longer off after an 18 mile run.

In the end of the day I want to be fully fit come the big day, and running in 2 days time serves no purpose to me. It would merely be miles for the sake of miles and would only slow my recovery from todays run (my ankle will be sore for about 4 days based on past experiences after long runs).

I'm tapering 5 weeks beforehand as I just want to reach 20 miles in training and once I do that I'm happy. I plan on doing that in 3 weeks time. The following 2 weekends I'm going to Croke Park for the Wales game and the Scotland game so I'd rather dedicate the weekend before to my long run.

I'd personally feel a lot more confident with a 5 week taper than a 3 week taper. It gives me more time to shake off any injuries I might pick up in my last long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

The thing is I know how my body reacts to long runs! I'm not a high mileage runner. I run 2-3 times a week (because I'm not willing to sacrifice my social life to this at the age of 24) so I'm well used to taking long rests between runs. I usually take 2-3 days off after a regular run, so it seems only natural to take longer off after an 18 mile run.

In the end of the day I want to be fully fit come the big day, and running in 2 days time serves no purpose to me. It would merely be miles for the sake of miles and would only slow my recovery from todays run (my ankle will be sore for about 4 days based on past experiences after long runs).

I'm tapering 5 weeks beforehand as I just want to reach 20 miles in training and once I do that I'm happy. I plan on doing that in 3 weeks time. The following 2 weekends I'm going to Croke Park for the Wales game and the Scotland game so I'd rather dedicate the weekend before to my long run.

I'd personally feel a lot more confident with a 5 week taper than a 3 week taper. It gives me more time to shake off any injuries I might pick up in my last long run.

firstly - congrats on the 18 miler....always a great feeling.

A big +1 on amadeus' points though. while you wont lose a lot of fitness over 5 days, you will lose some - fitness you have worked hard to build up. Im a 3-times-a-week man myself, but this is more or less the minimum for marathon training it seems.

More serious IMO is the 5 week taper. This is enough to detrain significantly according to most books ive read. A 3 week taper would allow you to get another one or maybe two 20 milers in. These are key - the body needs to learn how to run on empty and we are only entering serious glycogen depletion territory at 16-18 miles. The discomfort you feel at 15 miles during a 20 mle run is nothing like the discomfort at 21 miles in a marathon in my experience.

sorry if this comes across all preachy - I dont want to scare you. Ive just enjoyed following your log and wouldnt want to see you suffer unecessarily on the big day.

firstly - congrats on the 18 miler....always a great feeling.

A big +1 on amadeus' points though. while you wont lose a lot of fitness over 5 days, you will lose some - fitness you have worked hard to build up. Im a 3-times-a-week man myself, but this is more or less the minimum for marathon training it seems.

More serious IMO is the 5 week taper. This is enough to detrain significantly according to most books ive read. A 3 week taper would allow you to get another one or maybe two 20 milers in. These are key - the body needs to learn how to run on empty and we are only entering serious glycogen depletion territory at 16-18 miles. The discomfort you feel at 15 miles during a 20 mle run is nothing like the discomfort at 21 miles in a marathon in my experience.

sorry if this comes across all preachy - I dont want to scare you. Ive just enjoyed following your log and wouldnt want to see you suffer unecessarily on the big day.

I'll play it by year. The most important thing is to listen to my own body and do what I feel comfortable with. I'd rather struggle a bit more in the final 6 miles than to struggle through the whole 26 miles which could happen if I overtrain. I'm monitoring my shin splints very closely and ensuring I give them appropriate rest after each tough run.

The thing is I have read so much different advice about how to train for the marathon, all of which is very different. Some sources say taper 3 weeks beforehand. Other sources say dont run any more than 10 miles at a time in the final 4 weeks, and that you should taper with 4 weeks to go. Some sources say that your longest run should be about 6 weeks before tha marathon, with a shorter long run 3-4 weeks before the marathon, while other sources say your longest run should be immediately before you taper.

So with all this contradicting advice on the internet, how does one know what to go by? What works for one person may not work for another. Everybody's bodies are different and what one person can endure may be too much for others.

Just for interests sake, whats the worst that could happen to be honest if I ran my 20 miler 5 weeks before the marathon, followed by a 13-14 miler 3 weeks before the marathon, followed by a complete taper after that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Your not going to enjoy rotterdam with that training.
    Lads are giving you advise and you should take it. But you come accross that you know it all so my advise to you is stick to what you are doing and i will enjoy reading your report. You are heading for a day of hell. And quite honestly you deserve it. Rant over. Just vsickens me that folks dont put in the effort. Why not just do 10kms.
    The marathon begins at 20. With a 5 week taper a friend of mine didnt have it on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

I'll play it by year. The most important thing is to listen to my own body and do what I feel comfortable with. I'd rather struggle a bit more in the final 6 miles than to struggle through the whole 26 miles which could happen if I overtrain. I'm monitoring my shin splints very closely and ensuring I give them appropriate rest after each tough run.

The thing is I have read so much different advice about how to train for the marathon, all of which is very different. Some sources say taper 3 weeks beforehand. Other sources say dont run any more than 10 miles at a time in the final 4 weeks, and that you should taper with 4 weeks to go. Some sources say that your longest run should be about 6 weeks before tha marathon, with a shorter long run 3-4 weeks before the marathon, while other sources say your longest run should be immediately before you taper.

So with all this contradicting advice on the internet, how does one know what to go by? What works for one person may not work for another. Everybody's bodies are different and what one person can endure may be too much for others.

Just for interests sake, whats the worst that could happen to be honest if I ran my 20 miler 5 weeks before the marathon, followed by a 13-14 miler 3 weeks before the marathon, followed by a complete taper after that?

sure you need to listen to your body alright. If the training is taking an awful lot out of you then your approach could be best - but 5 weeks and one 20 miler is cutting it very fine IMO. Good luck - hope the rest of the training works out well.

Your not going to enjoy rotterdam with that training.
    Lads are giving you advise and you should take it. But you come accross that you know it all so my advise to you is stick to what you are doing and i will enjoy reading your report. You are heading for a day of hell. And quite honestly you deserve it. Rant over. Just vsickens me that folks dont put in the effort. Why not just do 10kms.
    The marathon begins at 20. With a 5 week taper a friend of mine didnt have it on the day.

I will of course be taking their advice on board. And its advice I appreciate. I like to listen to my body, and if I can get in 2 20 milers then great, but only if my body allows me.

What I dont appreciate is your snotty remarks above.

And also who says I'm not putting in the effort? I'm not looking for a sub 3 or 2.45 or whatever like you are! This is my first marathon, and I want to complete it (hopefully under 4 hours). I'm still young and dont feel the need to sacrifice my social life to running 6 days a week!

And what do you mean about "just" do 10kms! Doing 10kms fast is just as impressive as doing a marathon fast!

• Advertisement

sure you need to listen to your body alright. If the training is taking an awful lot out of you then your approach could be best - but 5 weeks and one 20 miler is cutting it very fine IMO. Good luck - hope the rest of the training works out well.

Thanks. I appreciate the advice. It will be taken on board for sure. I'll just take it as it comes and see what my body is able for.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

As long as you are realistic about your expectations. What VR is trying to say, is that you get out, what you put in, and based on a 5 week taper and your priorities, you could be facing a painful struggle and that if you're not willing to make the commitment, then possibly a 10k is a more appropriate distance, as it won't impact your social life quite as much as marathon preparation, which is pretty solid advice (if not softly spoken!). Regardless, best of luck with your goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

This is my first marathon, and I want to complete it (hopefully under 4 hours). I'm still young and dont feel the need to sacrifice my social life to running 6 days a week!
    I'm roughly the same age as you, and completed my first marathon in October. I've never trained 6 days a week (I usually train 4-5 days a week) and didn't find the training for it (using the Higdon Novice 1 plan, peaking at 40mpw) to be a huge hit on my social life - but you have to respect the distance and train properly for it, otherwise you will have a pretty horrific experience on race day and you may end up being put off running for a very long time.

I will of course be taking their advice on board. And its advice I appreciate. I like to listen to my body, and if I can get in 2 20 milers then great, but only if my body allows me.

What I dont appreciate is your snotty remarks above.

And also who says I'm not putting in the effort? I'm not looking for a sub 3 or 2.45 or whatever like you are! This is my first marathon, and I want to complete it (hopefully under 4 hours). I'm still young and dont feel the need to sacrifice my social life to running 6 days a week!

And what do you mean about "just" do 10kms! Doing 10kms fast is just as impressive as doing a marathon fast!

Your shin splints problem are unlikely to be running related. You have averaged 13 miles a week over Nov Dec and Jan. Now how can you expect to run a marathon based on those miles ?? Thats why i mentioned doing 10kms instead.
    Whats to stop you running a 20 at 7am the morning of the match ??
    You seem to mention your social life alot.
    Also you mention Overtraining alot. At 13 miles a week you should be safe on that one.
    I never mentioned times as i dont think they are important.
    Would you not introduce a 10 miler midweek run ?? You body prob goes into shock running an 18 when it only is ever used to run 3.25 most days. Not running a long one with 5 weeks to go to a marathon i would worry for you.
    Based on your training you dont take it seriosly(the distance). Sorry for been honest but i aint anyother way.

When you taper for the last month how many miles a week will you do ?

You have averaged 13 miles a week over Nov Dec and Jan. Now how can you expect to run a marathon based on those miles ??

I'm sorry but I disagree. I have run a 16.25 miler, and 18 miler and will have run a 20 miler. Most marathon training programmes for beginners (I am a beginner!) consist of one 18 miler and one 20 miler. The 20 miler usually 4 weeks before the marathon. Now if I can run 20 miles in training, then why on earth can I not make it to 26.2, considering any other beginner is making a similar step up from 20 to 26.2?

So what do you think will happen then when you reckon I cant run the marathon? Do you think that once I get to 21-22 and hit the wall that I'm just going to have to give up and stop. Do you think that I wont be able to get through it? I know people who have run nowhere near as many miles as I have in training, some who are not distance runners whatsoever, and have been able to get through it (and in decent times I may add). So if they can do it, then why not me?

I'm fully confident that I can make it through the 26.2 miles once I have hit 20 in training, and am confident that my time will be somewhere between 3:50 and 4;10.

And yes I am considering getting up early before the match to do a second 20.

When you taper for the last month how many miles a week will you do ?

I'd keep up the same mileage during the week, and at the weekend cut my long runs back to 10 miles 3 weeks beforehand, 7-8 miles 2 weeks beforehand, and around 4-5 the weekend before the race. Something like that anyway.

Also, seen as it is the end of January I'll do a quick monthly summary of my training so far.

October: 13.50 Miles (Started 24th October) - Longest LSR - 5.75 Miles
    November: 60.70 Miles - Longest LSR - 10.05 Miles
    December: 51.65 Miles - Longest LSR - 13.35 Miles
    January: 48.25 Miles - Longest LSR - 16.25 Miles

Total: 174.10 Miles - Longest LSR - 16.25 Miles

The Christmas Festivities/ Snow/ Ice got in the way a bit in December and January!

I averaged 13 a week based on the above. not trying to pick on you here.
    I reckon you wont break 4 hours. If you were doing 30-40 mile i think you would. Thats my point.
    I cant see how you can enjoy the day in Rotterdam. Go on prove me wrong.
    But do that extra 20 miler. It will give you more hope.

But run them at least 9.30-10 min pace and then you mightnt be half as sore.

I cant see how you can enjoy the day in Rotterdam. Go on prove me wrong.

I shall prove you wrong :D

After all I did a Half Marathon in 1:49 on a hilly course from a training mileage of 65 miles, so its certainly possible that I can go sub 4 in a flat marathon after a training mileage of around 300 miles.

Well this log got busy since I was last here :)

Please take the following as it's intended, advice to help rather than an attack on you or your training. there's been a lot said but I'll try and keep this brief..

On the "listening to your body" thing. You're right, it is one of the key skills for an athlete to develop, knowing the signs so that you know when to back off a bit or when to push on. As you know marathon training is hard; I'm only in week 3 of my latest schedule and already all the signs are there. In a good training schedule you will go through your days with heavy legs and all manner of funny aches, you'll go up and down stairs like a 70 year old and grab on for support when you bend down to tie your shoes.

This is normal.

Inexperienced runners often mistake these aches and discomforts for warning signs of incoming injury. They aren't and - in Tunneys phrase - you need to suck it up and get on with it. Psychologically as well its always easier to say I didn't run today because I was listening to my body" rather than "I didn't run today because I didn't feel like it"; even though they are the same thing one sounds more respectable. My advice? Be honest with yourself. Unless you are in pain (which is a different thing) then there is no execuse for slacking off a scheduled run through fatigue. In fact a short slow run usually helps with recovery and you'll fell a lot better after it.

Which leads on to the shin splints. Have they been diagnosed by a sports medicine professional? As VR hints above shin splints are classically an over use injury and a 24 year old doing the weekly mileage you are shouldn't be suffering from them, in the normal course of things. But I think your training patterns are causing your shin splints rather than helping them. As an analogy if someone wants to lose weight they should eat slightly fewer calories than they use over an extended period of time . What they shouldn't do is binge during the week and starve at weekends - even though the calories in and out may be the same the pattern is all wrong and the body cannot adapt; it doesn't know what's coming next.

Your running follows the yo-yo diet pattern. An 18 mile run followed by a week off followed in short order by a 20 mile run. Your legs get a huge hit, folowed by nothing followed by a huge hit. This would be an obvious cause of overuse injuries - your legs adapt to the demands of an LSR not just during the LSRs but also in the days, weeks and months of shorter runs. You are making demands of them that they may not be able to manage. No single run or session makes a marathon and doing a 16, 18 or 20 mile run without the supporting framework of other runs is worthless, IMO.

I am guessing that you aren't following a training plan which is a huge mistake for a novice as the potential for these errors would have been removed straight away.

As would the error I think you are making with your taper. You are right there are all sorts of different (and conflicting) sets of advice on teh internet, because running isn't one size fits all. What works for VR may not work for me, what works for me may not work for you. All I can do is tell you my experiences in the hope it helps you make an informed decision.

I have read a lot of books on marathon training - all the ones you'll see recommended. I have never heard anyone mention anything longer than a 3 week taper. Typically the more experienced you are and teh higher your weekly mileage the shorter a taper you will need so a 3 week taper would be normal for a novice. typically the mileage reduction would be in the region of 75/50/25% of your peak mileage in the three weeks prior to the race with your longest run the week just before that. note that even those who advise a 3 week taper warn that you will lose fitness in that phase but that the gains from the rest are worth it - the balancing act is making sure that you take the minimum rest needed to minimise the fitness loss.

I have averaged 2 marathons a year for the last 5 years and am rarely not training. In between training cycles I usually take a break to recover. In a typical 4 week rest from training I lose around a minute a mile in pace. If I lose that with a background of years of consistent training then I would imagine that a five week taper without the pattern of consistent training behind it would result in at least the same loss of fitness and possibly more. Think about it - the normal training plan is 18 weeks long and you are talking about tapering for 5 of them - that's over a third!

Finally you mention that you are confident that a 20 mile run in training means you will finish a marathon. You're right, it should. But finishing a marathon and finishing injury free and in (relative) comfort are very different. i did a 16 an 18 and a 20 prior to my first marathon and I was walking at mile 16 on the day. Race day excitement, lack of sleep, running in a crowd, different fuel or fuelling strategy - all sorts of things can make a difference and going to 20 (even in comfort) in training is no guarantee that you'll get to 20 in the same state on the day.

So my advice, for what it's worth, is to look up a good training program and start to follow it as close to the letter as your medical advice allows. Every single step you run between now and Rotterdam will make the race itself easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

FWIW I followed hal Higdon Novice 1 plan as part of the Novice mentored group (mentored by Amadeus) for the dublin marathon last year. Like you I was aiming for sub-4. I ended up doing a 20 miles 3 weeks before the marathon, 2 18 miles and several 15-16 milers. typically, I ran 4 times a week with a mid week semi-LSR and LSR at the weekend. Nothing in my training suggeted i wouldn't make a sub 4 hour marathon ( i did all my LSR comfortably at PMP).

Despite all this I failed to meet my target, hit the wall with a bang at 20 miles and came in at 4:15, i suffered badly and believe me it was not a pleasant experience. In My opinion now, the training prgramme was not sufficient mileage and the 3 week taper was too long. Ideally i should have had more long LSR's maybe another 20 and a 22- noting prepares you for the pain at 20 miles so if you are serious about a sub-4 attempt you must go through the same pain in training.

If you really think that 2 short midweek runs and a 20 mile LSR 5 weeks is enough to do a sub-4 marathon as a running Novice, you are seriously only fooling yourself IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

I'd kind of agree with a lot of what was said above. In your defence you may run sub 4 hours in Rotterdam but you may not enjoy the experience or at worst pick up an injury if you are ill prepared. I ran a marathon a couple of years back and on paper got a great time that my training didn't deserve. I was in bits for months afterwards though and the stress of getting back running took away the enjoyment of my good time.

Wow, confidence has gone from an all time high Saturday afternoon to being absolutely shattered into smithereens now.

I don’t doubt the advice. I do however doubt my ability to implement a lot of the stuff I’ve read here. How can I possibly get myself up to 30-40 miles a week, each week, from where I am at the moment without risking injury, considering I’ve just 8 weeks to go? How can I do this without further damaging already slightly damaged shins? I really want to get to Rotterdam in one piece.

Good post there Amadeus. Though to be honest I have no intention of running 18, then doing no running and going straight back into 20. Suppose I was to run a 20 on saturday week, then between now and then I'd plan on doing a short 3.25 miler for speedwork, a 9-10 miler at the weekend, and then one, maybe two 3.25 milers next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Again i'm no expert but i'd imagine those 3.25 milers are a waste of time. The only time you should be running that short would be the day after the LSR as a recovery tool (it helps to get rid of the lactic acid or somesuch) but if you were resting for a few days it's pointless. I doubt speedwork will do you any good cos you're running a marathon!! Speed will come with slow long mileage anyway.

Why don't you double those 3.25 mile runs to at least 6.5 anyway, maybe do one loop steady and the other fast?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

+1. Drop the speed-work. Concentrate on endurance. Speed-work will do nothing for you except aggravate the shins. It won't make you complete the marathon any quicker. Run slower, run longer.

8 Weeks is a long time. My current marathon plan is a 12 week plan and you're already at 18 miles. Your confidence shouldn't be in tatters. You have plenty time to make the necessary adjustments. Alternatively, stick with the current plan and go for a 'just aiming to finish' strategy and don't worry about time.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

Wow, confidence has gone from an all time high Saturday afternoon to being absolutely shattered into smithereens now.

Don't lose heart, a lot of people (freaks :)) can run the marathon in a decent time without even following a programme and fair play to them. You, at least, have put some long miles in although the rest of your programme leaves a lot to be desired when comparing to a traditional plan.

People are not trying to dent your confidence or see you fail, all will appluad if you do finish in your targetted time and stick two fingers up to the doubters.

I was also in amadeus' mentored group last year and did a 6 week taper :eek: (not by choice). Checking my log, my last and longest run (18 miles) was around 6 weeks before the marathon proper due to injury.

I finished it but cannot see myself doing a marathon again. The sheer exhaustion around mile 19 was horrific. No interest in experiencing that again.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is if you want to run an enjoyable marathon and do another one, maybe you should revise Rotterdam - you're 24 so many years running ahead.

But if you just want to get through Rotterdam and tick the marathon box, well then go for it. Best of luck.

Can I just say that not everyone who was in that mentored group had a miserable experience!

You don't need to have a crisis of confidence yet (that normally comes in the taper ;))

On the plus side: you've done a respectable half marathon time, have several weeks training behind you, have an 18 miler in teh bank and 8 weeks till the race (5 - 6 weeks solid training there)

On teh negative side you've got sore shins and training to date may not have been optimal.

Objective is to maximise the next 8 weeks and get the most benefit from them. I would strongly recommend looking at this. It has the same number of runs and the same sort of intensity as you're used to but is a good program with a good taper. Relax and follow it, take it easy at the start on the day and you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

.....and it was a strong 18 miler at PMP, which isn't easy. Take it easy* dude, best of luck.

*not too easy....5 week taper??!!;)

menoscemo wrote: »
    Why don't you double those 3.25 mile runs to at least 6.5 anyway, maybe do one loop steady and the other fast?

More like 5 loops steady and 5 loops fast! The 3.25 mile runs are horrendous to be honest. Incredible boring. I run around a 0.65 mile loop in my estate 5 times. The reason I use this route is that its the only route really that I can avoid stopping at traffic lights. Theres a few other routes I can do which would limit the traffic light barrier but that would require running up the entire grange road which is a horrendous hill which being perfectly honest I'd rather not run up.

Sadly Marlay Park is closed when I get home from work.

Sub430 wrote: »

I suppose what I'm trying to say is if you want to run an enjoyable marathon and do another one, maybe you should revise Rotterdam - you're 24 so many years running ahead.

But if you just want to get through Rotterdam and tick the marathon box, well then go for it. Best of luck.

Not a chance of me backing out of the marathon now. I see no reason to. I've run a very good 18 miler so clearly the ability is there.

The marathon is just a challenge I want to do and "tick the box" as you said. Once I've done it I'll move onto something else. I started with 10kms, then sprint triathlon, half marathon and then last summer Olympic Triathlon. The marathon is just my latest goal. I dont intend on doing another one for quite awhile. Afterwards I'll try my hand at a new challenge. Perhaps a Half-Ironman if I'm brave enough. Maybe give the mile a go and try run a sub 5 minute mile (I have a 1500m PB from when I was 18 of 5:16 which converts roughly to a 5:35-5:40 mile. That definetely can be improved).

• Advertisement

I havent been following a training programme in particular but when I started off I had a look at this one mainly to get an idea of how to approach the training.

http://www.the-fitness-motivator.com/first-marathon.html

For the first 7 weeks or so my training wasnt a million miles away from this. I ran twice during the week, 3-4 miles each time, and then a LSR at the weekend, gradually building it up each week. Then I picked up an ankle injury and took a week off to let it recover. After that the pre xmas ice and then post xmas snow and ice really disturbed the routine (3 runs on the threadmill was particularly horrific). By mid January I got back into my routine and ran two 3.25 milers and a 16.25 miler one week. But I've been relocated at work now and to a much busier department. The hours at times are horrific. For two solid weeks I was home no earlier than 8.30pm. Some days not home until 9 or 10. I've had a few easy weeks since then but these hours are expected to resurface (stupid choice of career I may add :mad:) throughout this busy season which lasts until April and beyond. From mid march onwards I'll be down in Clare working and working late every night. This sort of thing hugely disrupts a training routine. Whats worse is that each day I have no idea how long I'll be staying for. Could be out at 5.30pm, could be 9.30pm! I think many people would agree that the last thing you want to do after working a 12 hour day is go for a run! Maybe others are different but in such cases I feel drained and just want to collapse in front of the TV.

Some good advice here and what I think I should do is apply this advice to what I'm already doing.

1) Move my final 20 miler until 4 weeks before the race, rather than 5. This will of course mean I have to sacrifice drinking before and after the Wales match as I'll want to do my run on the sunday (as I really couldnt face standing in Hill 16 along with a long walk to and from the stadium after running a 20 miler!)

2) The 3 weekends between now and that 20 miler, run a 10, a 13 and a 10.

3) During the week try get a 5 miler in rather than 3.25 and at a slower pace

Advertisement