Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Never made tax return for Rental Property

• 26-10-2009 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I jointly own a property with my friend for the past 5 years. We have never made a tax return on it because we assumed that because we only rent it to students for 9 months of the year, the tax would probably balance out. It is vacant for the summer months and ends up costing us thousands on mortgage repayments without any rental income.
    Where do we stand on this? I want to sort out all my tax affairs cos I know that 'assuming' is not the way forward!
    Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭Bobby1984

Mortgage repayments are not taken into account when calculating the tax payable on the rental income so therefore you were probably making large taxable profits. However the interest on the mortgage is an allowable deduction if registered with the PRTB so if the annual interest is greater than the income then there would be no tax to pay.

I would make a return for current year rental income which is due by the 31st October in order to make sure that you are not late for another year. This deadline is extended until 16th November if you file online. As for the past years you could make a voluntary disclosure to the Revenue and file returns for the past five years. This may however mean that you will be charged interest and penalties.

If you are going to file a return (which your friend should also be doing) bring details of rental income, expenses, loan interest certs, confirmation of registration with PRTB along with details of other income to a good accountant.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Nelbell

Thanks for the advice. We haven't registered with the PRTB either. It's all starting to sound like a big fat mess!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Snap Happy

Bobby1984 wrote: »

I would make a return for current year rental income which is due by the 31st October in order to make sure that you are not late for another year. This deadline is extended until 16th November if you file online.

Do you do this trough ROS?

How do you apply if you don't have a reg number? https://www.ros.ie/acl/apply_ran/step1?language=en&country=IE#

Or have I missed the right link totally?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

If you have not declared rental income or made tax returns you are in breach of Revenue law.

All landlords are also oblidged to register with the PRTB.

Go to competent professional for advice immediately.

Thread closed.

Read the charter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement