Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stan Collymore is not a very good "journalist"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

God thats a load of waffle!!! The relegation is a good part of the league and makes it a lot more interesting to!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Stan Collymore. Living proof that any fool can make as a pundit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

quite an extraordinarily stupid article alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Sounds like a good idea. The premier league has long been trying to maket itself as THE biggest league internationally. There's little or no interest internationally in the "smaller" games. They may aswell do this as they sold their souls long ago...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I quite like the way he thinks a league with 25 clubs means each team plays 50 games. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Holy Lamb of Jayzus, that's one steaming pile of faeces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Bandit12 wrote: »

Jamie Redknapp had already proven that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Methinks he hasn't thought this one thru. They say wife beating'll do that to ya :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think he's onto a winner but they could beef it up a bit more with North and South leagues and a mega play off to see who is the champions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Just found this receipt under a bench in Birmingham Airport. Looks like we've all been conned by his entrepreneurial genius...
    Date: 20/10/09

VISA: S Collymore XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX

Items:

100,000 x Shares in Leeds United Football Club..........£0.50
    100,000 x Shares in Newcastle United Football Club....£0.50
    1 x Pen...............................................................£0.20
    1 x Envelope........................................................£0.10
    1 x Notepad.........................................................£0.99
    1 x Daily Mirror.....................................................£0.30
    1 x 'How to get any old crap published in a
    tabloid Newspaper - E. Dunphy'
    ..........................£4.99

Total.................................................................£7.58

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

to think, in these times, a man like that has a job.

he couldn't have extracted more words from his backside if he tried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Bandit12 wrote: »

Add Cascarino, Merson, Whelan and Haughton to that list. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

farcical article aside, collymore is one of the best pundits in the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

The comments left underneath the article are brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Helix wrote: »
    farcical article aside, collymore is one of the best pundits in the game

tell me you are messing?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Maybe he can go back to acting..oh wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

What absolute and utter bollockology of the highest order!!!

Imagine, if there was no promotion/relegation, only 4 or 5 teams in the whole Premier League would have anything to play for!

And Manchester United vs. Leeds United... Was a huge fixture back in the day. If the current Leeds squad faced up to the current Man Utd squad in a League game... would it be 7-0 or 8-0 I wonder? My money would be on a record-breaking thrashing. How is that a big, epic derby?! Maybe in 4 or 5 seasons if Leeds claw their way back up top, it might be, but as the venerable Collyhead suggests, we just ditch them back into the top flight, they would be crucified.

The addition of these smaller clubs to the English Top Flight adds uncertainty and excitement; who knows what could happen. Burnley vs. Man United, anyone? Wigan vs. Chelsea:(, anyone? Stoke vs. Spurs??? The list goes on of infamous losses to supposed minnow teams.

This piece of football ''journalism'' makes several innane proposals that would serve to only cripple the game in England, making the Continental game (La Liga in particular) all the more appealing and respected.

The mere suggestion of teams playing MORE games in a season is also ridiculous. 38 games is enough as it is, players are being pushed to their limits. To add more, to increase the total games to 48 in a season (not 50, as Collyhead says; if there are 25 teams in the league, there would not be 50 games a season, but 48 games per season) would not only tire players more, but would end careers earlier and make the English league unattractive to foreign players and/or younger players who would want a longer career.

If this kind of infantile piffle is what passes for journalism nowadays...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I hope for his sake he's doing it for the contaversy

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Publicity stunt tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

The Mirror tbh ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

As a Leeds fan, I think this is a wonderful idea:pac:, however we'll be back soon enough either way and to the guy who said "would it be 7 or 8 nil I wonder" if United played Leeds now?.............good one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The headline said it all.
    What a stupid idea.
    He didn't cover himself in glory on Setanta last year and I've never taken anything he says seriously.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Sounds like a good idea. The premier league has long been trying to maket itself as THE biggest league internationally. There's little or no interest internationally in the "smaller" games. They may aswell do this as they sold their souls long ago...

you forgot the sarcastic smiley to show you were messing....:rolleyes: <-- there

here's a few more for stan's 'idea' :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Add Cascarino, Merson, Whelan and Haughton to that list. ;)

I see your Cascarino, Merson and Haughton and i'll raise you Kenny "combforward" Cunningham.

On Topic

Collymore is clearly insane but i don't think he's this insane, just done for the controversy i reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Has April 1st come early ?

Had to be a publicity stunt.

Besides the ridiculous idea there's way too many errors in the article that wouldn't make it past an editor.

Unless the editor thinks to himself this is a great way to drive traffic to our site it's so badly thought out/written by an already hated and famous name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Mr Alan wrote: »

not at all

when he used to do the uefa cup with channel 5 he was fantastic

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

DazMarz wrote: »
    And Manchester United vs. Leeds United... Was a huge fixture back in the day. If the current Leeds squad faced up to the current Man Utd squad in a League game... would it be 7-0 or 8-0 I wonder? My money would be on a record-breaking thrashing. How is that a big, epic derby?! Maybe in 4 or 5 seasons if Leeds claw their way back up top, it might be, but as the venerable Collyhead suggests, we just ditch them back into the top flight, they would be crucified.

Almost as ridiculous as Collymore's article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

great article...as a newcastle fan it would be great if we could never be relegated :D
    however I'd think we'd get sick of the 5-0 trashings by just about every other team in the league.
    So the bottom of the league would look like this..

24. Newcastle 0 wins 50 trashings. 150 goals against. 1 for.
    25. Leeds 0 wins 50 trashings. 300 goals against 1 for.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Rics

DazMarz wrote: »
    What absolute and utter bollockology of the highest order!!!

Imagine, if there was no promotion/relegation, only 4 or 5 teams in the whole Premier League would have anything to play for!

The addition of these smaller clubs to the English Top Flight adds uncertainty and excitement; who knows what could happen. Burnley vs. Man United, anyone? Wigan vs. Chelsea:(, anyone? Stoke vs. Spurs??? The list goes on of infamous losses to supposed minnow teams.

This piece of football ''journalism'' makes several innane proposals that would serve to only cripple the game in England, making the Continental game (La Liga in particular) all the more appealing and respected.

The mere suggestion of teams playing MORE games in a season is also ridiculous. 38 games is enough as it is, players are being pushed to their limits. To add more, to increase the total games to 48 in a season (not 50, as Collyhead says; if there are 25 teams in the league, there would not be 50 games a season, but 48 games per season) would not only tire players more, but would end careers earlier and make the English league unattractive to foreign players and/or younger players who would want a longer career.

If this kind of infantile piffle is what passes for journalism nowadays...

This is where I stopped taking you seriously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Sounds like a Stan Staunton article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

This is pure chance taking by people who have seen clubs as a method to get enhance their ego and earnings

A direct quote from the Collymore article, which could be said to be the theme of the article for him personally as well.

Beautiful picture of him though.....do you think thats the dashboard of his car he is leaning on? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Helix wrote: »
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    not at all

when he used to do the uefa cup with channel 5 he was fantastic
    He was covering the Fulham / Roma game last week with CH5. He's pretty decent at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

His celebrity is waning me thinks and the dogging sites wont allow him in;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Stanley should stick to getting killed off at the beginning of Sharon Stone movies. Dreadful article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Get rid of relegation and promotion? What about the "smaller" clubs? Newcastle and Leeds earned relegation by playing terrible football. How does keeping em in the top flight make the league better? Sounds like Stans been smoking them funny cigarettes to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Almost as ridiculous as Collymore's article.
    Rics wrote: »
    This is where I stopped taking you seriously

Oh come on! Are you telling me that Leeds United, as they currently stand, would be any match for Man United?!

If United were to field a standard League-game team:

Van der Sar, O'Shea, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Carrick, Valencia, Scholes, Giggs, Berbatov, Rooney

with subs bench:

Foster, Neville, Anderson, da Silva, Evans, Owen, Nani

can you tell me, with your hand on your heart, that Leeds would not be subjected to a humiliation? I think not. Ok, maybe if something freaky happens, they might not get completely eviscerated. But going on current standings in the football league (United 2nd in 1st Tier; Leeds 1st in 3rd Tier), form over the last few seasons (United won 3 Premier Leagues in a row from 06/07, 07/08, 08/09; Champions League Winners 2008, Runners Up 2009 etc. Leeds: Relegated from C'ship in 2007; failed promotion twice)... How can anyone think that I'm being ridiculous, well, apart from Leeds fans?

I thought anyone that would know their football would not need the facts dissected in front of them... but apparently some people do!

Leeds United, through the fault of poor management and gambling on the team's performance, are a mere shadow of the team they once were. Manchester United are easily one of the best teams in the world; their recent record in both domestic and European competition speaks for itself.

Yes, if Man United and Leeds were to meet in a cup (League, FA etc.) competition, MU would field a far weaker team than a league fixture and it could be a closer competition than most would expect (see: Leeds vs. Liverpool in Carling Cup earlier this year). But, if as is suggested in Collymore's article, Leeds were auto-promoted to the Top Flight again in their current guise... They would be no match for Man United. Or a league-game Liverpool side (much different from the Carling Cup side!). Or Chelsea. Or Arsenal. Or Man City. Nobody. They would be the new Derby County (11 points, anyone?) or WBA. Bottom feeders.

I'll admit a some dramatic hyperbole on my part (7-0 was hyperbole at its finest!), but I firmly believe that Leeds United are not good enough for Top Flight football as it stands. In a few years, maybe. But until they manage to get out of League One, and then out of the Championship and into the Premier League again, they are simply not good enough to compete at that level, no matter what Stan Collymore, Kingp35 or Rics may think.

I'll tone myself down a bit. I think Man United would win by at least 3 goals if the current Leeds side and (Van der Sar, O'Shea, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Carrick, Valencia, Scholes, Giggs, Berbatov, Rooney

with subs bench:

Foster, Neville, Anderson, da Silva, Evans, Owen, Nani) THAT Man United side were to play each other in an important game within the coming 12 months. Anyone that says different, well... Feel free to find some solid reasons as to why I'm wrong, instead of slagging me off.

Cheers:rolleyes:

Advertisement