Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good chemist in D15 ?

Options
  • 26-10-2009 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi!

I need to find a chemist in the D15 area.
    I need to get acetone and benzine, but I could find anything in the Blanchardstown shopping centre :(

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Acetone & Benzene? can I ask why? both are dangerous chemicals, Benzene in particular is highly carcinogenic and is not something you want to mess around with.

Chemists may not be willing to sell them to you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 machat

I paint with enamels.
    I use cleaning benzine to clean brushes, and acetone once in a while to clean them thoroughly, and to remove paint.

I dont think they are dangerous chemicals...
    I can get them over the counter where I used t live before, but I cant bring that on a plane :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

They are extremely dangerous, especially if you are exposed to them over a long period of time. I've worked in laboratories all my life and I know what I'm talking about.
    That they can be bought over the counter does not mean they are safe.
    If you do get them, take all the precautions you can.

I know, I always use them when I have a window wide open.
    Even then I usually leave the room afterwards.

Fortunately I use very small amounts at a time...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Gaspode, hes talking about Benzine(Petroleum ether) not Benzene(Aromatic Compound aka Benzol).

Benzine is a non-polar solvent and thats what its mostly used for and its whats the op is gonna use it for(Enamel Painting).

That said I doubt a chemist would sell it to you(Did you specicifally ask for Benzine and not Benzene?).

Your better off visiting a speciality art or paint shop or keep trying chemists and you might get lucky. Diy Shops might have it.
    An alternative to Benzine would be Tetrachloroethylene which is used by Dry Cleaners and as a metal degreaser, its a non-polar solvent just like Benzine so it will do the same job.

As for acetone, If your not looking for 100% pure acetone then simple nail polish remover contains acetone and will do the job pretty well. I use to for getting rid of superglue all the time.

Just noticed my post count! 1337

• Advertisement

So there are no chemists in the entire D15 area ? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Chemist in this country means pharmacy who dispense medications.
    You are best of trying a DIY/home improvement store and try there for paint solvent.

Advertisement