Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strandhill Cannon

Options
  • 26-10-2009 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all, can anyone out there tell me the history behind the cannon at Strandhill.

I have searched the net for details and found nowt.

cheers in advance, Michael.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

I got this from 'At the Foot of Knocknarea' by John C. McTernan p. 92.

Benjamin Murrow acquired the Strandhill land in 1895 and wanted to develop it. He constructed a road called 'Buenos Ayres Drive' and in 1920 at the top of the road he built a two story castellated marine residence called 'Buenos Ayres'. Michael Scanlon of Carrowkeel was the principal contractor. He encircled his own imposing residence and the surrounding grounds with a high wall which was intersected at regular intervals with minature battlements. On the lawn he placed a pair of cannon which formerly formed part of the Sligo Militia artillery battery at Rosses Point. He also purchased a third canon which he placed at the end of his new road on the seafront, where it still stands. It's known as the 'Big Gun'.

Hope this helps! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mchlllsn

genie wrote: »
    I got this from 'At the Foot of Knocknarea' by John C. McTernan p. 92.

Benjamin Murrow acquired the Strandhill land in 1895 and wanted to develop it. He constructed a road called 'Buenos Ayres Drive' and in 1920 at the top of the road he built a two story castellated marine residence called 'Buenos Ayres'. Michael Scanlon of Carrowkeel was the principal contractor. He encircled his own imposing residence and the surrounding grounds with a high wall which was intersected at regular intervals with minature battlements. On the lawn he placed a pair of cannon which formerly formed part of the Sligo Militia artillery battery at Rosses Point. He also purchased a third canon which he placed at the end of his new road on the seafront, where it still stands. It's known as the 'Big Gun'.

Hope this helps! :)
    Thanks very much genie! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

No problem! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

That house is still there but I think the cannons were moved to a new house at the bottom of knocknarea.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&t=h&utm_campaign=en_GB&utm_medium=ha&utm_source=en_GB-ha-emea-gb-sk-dd&utm_term=map

The A on the map marks the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

The battlements which surrounded Mr. Murrow's houses are still there, but I think the house behind them (now vacant) is more modern. It's across from Kelly's pub. You can see the plinths the cannon stood on in the gardens. Murrow's grandson still lives in Strandhill. The cannon from the top of the road is now at a house on the Glen road, where the last resident of Buenos Ayres now lives. You can see it from the road just to the town side of Primrose Grange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I always sniggered a bit a "Buenos Ayres", but now I know it has a bit more heritage than some developer lacking in imagination, it's okay. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LadyDotty

Hey great info, have often wondered about the history of the canon.

My grandparents went on their honeymoon to Strandhill in the 1930's and we have pics of the canon.. *somewhere*

Advertisement