Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerbing Dilemma

Options
  • 26-10-2009 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Just finished a new build and starting on the garden. I have a fairly large area that needs to be kerbed. Was thinking about using sleepers but i have heard there can pose a threat due to preservatives.

Sleepers seem to be the easier option as kerbing is time consuming, has anyone any experience or ideas or guidance.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

You can get mock sleepers nowadays that don't have creosote in them - we used them for our raised vegetable patch and they look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

You can get mock sleepers nowadays that don't have creosote in them - we used them for our raised vegetable patch and they look great.

What the hell is a 'mock sleeper' and why would you use it for a veg garden and not as a raised edge/kerbing?

OP - there are various reasons why one might use (railway) sleepers, kerbs (concrete/natural stone) as a raised edge, factors might include budget, appearance, and ease of installation. Personally I think railway sleepers are a cheap nasty method of installing kerbing, and will never compare favourably with pressure treated (pine) sleepers or indeed granite/sandstone kerbing.

There have been some concerns expressed about pressure treated sleepers use in fruit/veg gardens, railway sleepers contain a range of residues including oil, creosote etc which are potentially dangerous for plants/veg in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I think myself that the few houses I've seen done with sleepers all look like real budget jobs.. Sleepers are nice for beds but not for kerbing..

IMO, the whole toxic thing of sleepers is OTT, I wouldn't use them for veg plots but after that I can't see a problem..

Kerbing can be done in stages and shouldn't cost the earth to do... Its a garden not an instant paint effect, I'd rather do what I really like in stages than do somethnig cheap and nasty all in one go..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

What the hell is a 'mock sleeper' and why would you use it for a veg garden and not as a raised edge/kerbing?
    :confused::confused::confused:

Er, I was merely stating that it's possible to buy sleeper-like lengths of wood without creosote for people who don't want the chemical in their garden.

Also, I never for a moment suggested they wouldn't be any good for kerbing - only that we'd used it for our raised bed :D

Advertisement