Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How not to do it...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Gives a whole new meaning to being jumped out of the saddle!!!! :)

Poor horse, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

Dreadful isnt it?? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Jeepers! Is that a competition for people who dont know how to ride or something? Looks like a big event so how come the riding is so bad?

Couldn't have been done as a dare, could it? I don't think many people could do that if they tried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

convert wrote: »
    Couldn't have been done as a dare, could it? I don't think many people could do that if they tried.

Was wondering if it was some kind of photo fix or something myself. His legs are all over the place and he even landed on the horses neck at one stage. Even my wife was laughing and she doesn't know the first thing about horses. Poor horse! Must have been in bits! He should be reported for cruelty.

• Advertisement

Anyone speak Spanish (or is it Italian? I didn't take the time to look at it properly) who can translate the comments at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

Apparently it was "stunt-riding" as part of a demonstration...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Interesting

Watch it again and look out for.

1) He does not actually catch the horse in the mouth going over any Fence
    2) Although we dont see much (They are behind the flag) the fence where he has lost a stirrup is the one where he stays in the saddle.
    3) The stop is caused because he drops his contact a stride away(which he does not do at any other time).
    4) No stick (How many times have you seen riders in Ireland who wuld have flaked the horse while waiting to restart.
    5) Watch how over the last few fences he sits up with legs on and keeps a real contact to give the horse the confidence to jump again.

Horse does land a bit short a few times as it seems to be waiting for the rider to land heavy.

Anyone who followed SJ when we got to see the Indoor International from Simmonscourt and Horse of the Year show and Olympia on RTE in the 70s and 80s will remember Jeff McVeen and Annette Lewis who used to fly just like that.
    There is an amazing Photo of Annette Lewis coming off the Derby Bank in Hickstead where her seat is atleast 2 feet higher than the saddle as the horse launches off the top

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

This video has been doing the rounds!

Isn't Annette Lewis the one who had the fiery grey who she managed to get back under control after one of her reins broke and ended up doing some extra jumps.

Esroh wrote: »
    Interesting

Watch it again and look out for.

1) He does not actually catch the horse in the mouth going over any Fence
    2) Although we dont see much (They are behind the flag) the fence where he has lost a stirrup is the one where he stays in the saddle.
    3) The stop is caused because he drops his contact a stride away(which he does not do at any other time).
    4) No stick (How many times have you seen riders in Ireland who wuld have flaked the horse while waiting to restart.
    5) Watch how over the last few fences he sits up with legs on and keeps a real contact to give the horse the confidence to jump again.

Yeah, I noticed the 'light' hands when I watched it (haven't actually watched it again) and the tidy way the rider rode in between fences.

I still don't think I could manage to do that if I tried. Nor do I think my horse would be too impressed with me doing odd things like that when jumping. She's far too much of a lady to put up with such nonsense*! :)

* 'nonsense' probably being her description of it; mine would be a bit of devartion! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

sorry am i missing something here? there's no link or text?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

Isn't Annette Lewis the one who had the fiery grey who she managed to get back under control after one of her reins broke and ended up doing some extra jumps.

Video of that round...

Annette Lewis and Tutein - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3doU4evTxiE

She had a very unusual jumping style, which stemmed from her legs being too long for ponies when she was a teenager!

Hi Wicked. This is the link to the video Z posted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opMiCyoRzYM&feature=player_embedded

Might help!

Worst feeling in the world when your reins break or keep slipping - you feel so utterly helpless and out of control :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Tanzanite

LOL funny video

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ann81

Yeah this clip has been doing the rounds alright...

It's part of a demo from a portuguese horse show, they put a polo player who's never jumped on the horse (a 4yr old lusitano) and got them to do the course for fun and games :rolleyes: :mad:

The comment in the end means we guarantee that the animal only suffered one injury to his back and was in perfect condition to return to jumping the next day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭skywards

I've now seen this video on 4 different sites O.O it certainly is making the rounds!

Advertisement