Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Anyone Tried "Thermalite" Insulating Paint

Options
  • 26-10-2009 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

I saw this product advertised in last sunday's Tribune.

" Applied like any emulsion, this is the cheapest possible way to make a noticable difference to the internal temperature of your home. It works by reflecting a significant chunk of the room's heat back into the room instead of escaping out through the wall etc. A big bonus also is the fact that it does not take up any space and can be applied by any person who can apply paint with a roller etc.

It looks interesting as a possible alternative to drylining one of my exterior bedroom walls with Thermaboard and all the mess and hassle associated with that job. I've attached a link to their site, which to be honest looks like it was put together by a 10 year old chimp.

http://www.igoe.ie/cms/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=316

Some of the more experienced DIY'ers here might be able to decipher the value of the insulation properties they are claiming it has. So, has anyone got any experience of this? Should I go ahead with the Kingspan thermaboard or is this a realistic alternative?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

Don't know, but if it is anything like the other products on that site (like the E-B or the owatrol oil) it should be very good.

I used the E-B while painting exterior window sills, that were always flaking off, and they are still perfect 10 years later (I have painted over them in the meantime, but no flaking).

I would like to try Thermilate, but don't have any projects at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

garbanzo wrote: »
    I saw this product advertised in last sunday's Tribune.

" Applied like any emulsion, this is the cheapest possible way to make a noticable difference to the internal temperature of your home. It works by reflecting a significant chunk of the room's heat back into the room instead of escaping out through the wall etc. A big bonus also is the fact that it does not take up any space and can be applied by any person who can apply paint with a roller etc.

It looks interesting as a possible alternative to drylining one of my exterior bedroom walls with Thermaboard and all the mess and hassle associated with that job. I've attached a link to their site, which to be honest looks like it was put together by a 10 year old chimp.

http://www.igoe.ie/cms/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=316

Some of the more experienced DIY'ers here might be able to decipher the value of the insulation properties they are claiming it has. So, has anyone got any experience of this? Should I go ahead with the Kingspan thermaboard or is this a realistic alternative?

Very interesting OP. I need to do some Thermaboard work myself soon. Ill hang on a bit to see if any of the boards guys can give Insulating Paint the thumbs up;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,003 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

We used it in a box bedroom with 3 exterior cavity block walls. The room was cold before and after. It's only a layer of paint it can't work miralces. It may be OK if you have half decent insulation already and need to make it better but it doesn't replace the need to be properly insulated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭_Kooli_

We painted all the rooms in my Dads house with this.
    It makes no difference at all, apart from that all the walls now feel rough like sandpaper. ITs like ash when you mix it with the paint first and then goes on like normal paint.
    Think about it after we used it. You need many inches thickness of any air trapping insulation. This is about 1mm thick and is never going to have ant effect on heat loss is it.

Note that they dont have any link to any independent research on it wither. Why? Because it doesnt work.
    Why dont they link to NASA if they want to prove that it is endoresed by NASA. Ive seen the space shuttle tiles in the Kennedy space center and they are nothing at all like this paint.

"This technology is a spin off of the that initially developed by engineers working on the NASA shuttle programme. i.e. the thick ceramic tiles attached to the outside of the space shuttle to reduce its 3000c +/- external temperature down to a manageable level during re-entry to the Earth's atmosphere otherwise it would burn up in seconds."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

Thermaboard it is then:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Thanks so far. Sounds like i might still need to give the kids a tot of rum/whiskey to keep them warm between Nov - April if i use it. Kooli, that sounds like a right pain in the hole to go through all that hassle to end up with no material differerence.

All roads, so far, leaning towards Thermaboard and the big-ish ****ty job associated with it, icon8.gif

Advertisement