Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smelly Cat

Options
  • 26-10-2009 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I have 2 kittens 6 mths old and they seem to be very very smelly when they go to the toilet. What could the reason be. Is it the type of food they eat? Can anyone recommend a good food?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

What food are they eating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭chalad07

Smelly Cat.... it's not your fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

They were eating whiskas kitten pouches but last few days were changed to dry cat food from Lidl and Royal Canin dry food.

What is a good food to feed them. I heard dry food is better. Can anyone recommend a good brand that is reasonable priced

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

All vets have these special foods that are specifically designed for cats/dogs at different stages of their lives. I'd say that should work. They're a bit expensive though..

Is there any recognised brand that you can buy in supermarket which would be good.

Thanks for advice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

chalad07 wrote: »

Unfunny - read charter before posting again

I thought it was very funny - were all Friends here

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Tilly Tally

I have two kittens the same age and was feeding them Whiskas pouches and dry food. Same issue with toxic litter tray. But the vet told me that whiskas was the equivalent of McDonalds and to stop using it immediately. So now they are on Royal Canin or Purina and the smell has disappearred. They did a bit of a hunger strike for awhile when the whiskas was taken away but now eat their dry food quite happily!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

star-pants wrote: »
    Unfunny - read charter before posting again

You obviously dont watch friends.... It was actually pretty funny! :D

On Topic: I was feeding my cats some whiskas pouches everyday mixed with dry food and they did have a bit of a stink off them!

I switched them to Royal Canin dry food and i only give them some whiskas wet food as a treat every now and then. They smell went away within a few days of me changing the food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Just briefly - I did watch Friends, I did get the joke - but this isn't the humour forum and a lot of people have and will take offence to remarks made about their animals so unless you have something beneficial to add as well - single 'funny' remarks will not be allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭Heroditas

So now they are on Royal Canin or Purina and the smell has disappearred.

We feed our two a mix of Purina wet puch and also the dry food.
    We tried Felix for a while but the litter tray absolutely stank so we moved back to Purina. Unfortunately I heard somewhere that Purina wet puches are being discontinued and the company is concentrating on Felix. #not too happy about that if it's true. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

why not give them a bath, and then u can be sure that its their sh*te thats the smelly problem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

why not give them a bath, and then u can be sure that its their sh*te thats the smelly problem

Well i hardly think the cats themselves smell like sh*t!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

JOHNPT - unfortunately, supermarket foods (whiskas, Kiticat etc.) are not very good quality foods. This is probably what is causing the nasty smell from your cats poo. If you move them onto a better quality food (e.g. Hills, Royal Canin, JWB, Orijen etc.) you should see (and smell) a significant improvement in the odor coming from your cats litter tray. There are lots of variety within good brands, to suit your needs and the needs of your cat. They are pricey(er) but generally work out about the same as the cheaper, lower quality foods because you don't have to feed them as much of the food for them to get all the nutrients they need. If you buy in bulk you save a good bit too. If you are unsure about brands, ask your vet. They will be able to list a few good ones for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

chalad07 wrote: »
    Smelly cat, smelly cat, what have they been feeding you?? Smelly cat, smelly caaat.... it's not your fault.

I don't think that's offensive since its one of the reasons cats can smell incorrect diet.

Since sh*t is basically undigested food, food can be your only reason. If it was one of your cats it could be an underlying health issue but since its both of them... I'm not a vet but I'd imagine kittens digestive system isn't as capable as adult and possibly not breaking down the food as much as an adult cat causing it to smell worse...

Advertisement