Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spurs submit planning application for new stadium

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Internal_view_of_the_stadium.jpg

I love the look of that single tier stand behind the goal, I'll definitely be looking for a ST in there if we ever build the stadium.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/futureplans/news/planningapplicationsubmittednewsingletierstandforspursstadium261009.html

A lot of new stadiums are at that, apparently the single tier and shape of the roof help project fan noise onto the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

how much will it cost ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Looks nice. Staying in the same location and all work to be carried out without moving games is impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Headshot wrote: »
    how much will it cost ?

No confirmation from club, but estimates up to £400m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

That looks pretty good actually + I like where the clock is and how it's situated.

Very modern:)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Thats what Lansdowne should look like :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Not as nice as The Emirates :p

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Anybody else think the single tier thing looks terrifying? Imagine walking down form the top and tripping :|

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

nice.

ndp_-_night_aeriel_view.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Love that sheer single tier section. Like they've intentionally tried to make it a Curva/Kop style section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Liking the name "Naming Rights":p

Looks very impressive if they ever manage to build it that is, has a european look about it with that big single tier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I think it's much nicer than the Emirates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

the emirates is a souless aul place.

new spurs plans look great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

That looks pretty good actually + I like where the clock is and how it's situated.

Will that be know as The Clock End? :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Some cross over in the design team AFAIK, and the wavy structure of the sideline stands looks very similar IMO.
    stovelid wrote: »
    Love that sheer single tier section. Like they've intentionally tried to make it a Curva/Kop style section.

That was the intention, it was suggested and pushed quite hard by our Supporters Trust and I believe they played a large part in getting it incorporated (the original plan would have been for another 2 tier stand with boxes in between.
    jank wrote: »

We can afford seats...:p

Some cross over in the design team AFAIK, and the wavy structure of the sideline stands looks very similar IMO.

I can certainly see some similarities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

What's the situation with like funding for it reckless? Are the club in debt and need an investor to make it viable or would they be able to leverage the debt of the stadium against the club in a long term loan or such?

Love that single tier design, I'd be interested to see how it'd turn out in real life - these things usually look so much better as the famous 'artists impression' :(

cson wrote: »
    What's the situation with like funding for it reckless? Are the club in debt and need an investor to make it viable or would they be able to leverage the debt of the stadium against the club in a long term loan or such?

To borrow a phrase our dear departed Taoiseach, there's a lot of smoke and daggers involved here.

IMO ENIC will never build this stadium, they have manoeuvred themselves into almost complete ownership of the club through the careful issuing of shares for relatively little outlay. None of the funding the managers have got has come from ENIC's pocket, it has all come from turnover.

The key will be securing the planning permission, and negotiating a big name for the naming rights. If they manage that they'll be in a good position to cash in should the right offer come along, and it will with those two in place.

The club's current financial status is healthy, with very low debt relative to turnover. I'm told the club have floated the idea of bond or debenture deals for long term seating (I think the bond deal was based on actually buying your seat and having some sort of profit-sharing with the club, but it was very pricey) but interest has been lukewarm. Timing isn't great for anyone trying to attract that level of investment.

I would imagine that timing wouldn't be the best regarding getting funding for it but on the flip side I'm sure there are enough building contractors out there that would make tendering for it competitive and reduce the price a little. Although I'd imagine the groups capable of undertaking a project this size would be select.

The seat deal is you buy your seat for ~10/20 or so years and stump up all the cash up front type of thing I take it? I'd be very wary of those as over time clubs have a habit of diluting these to the extent they're non-existant. Arsenal did it with the North Bank when they were looking for funding to build it iirc and those who did buy were subsequently left high and dry.

I'm highly dubious it could be done without closing WHL at all although Munster did it on a smaller scale when building Thomand Park.

• Advertisement

Arsenal did it with the North Bank when they were looking for funding to build it iirc and those who did buy were subsequently left high and dry.

How were they left high and dry?

I remember reading in David Conn's excellent The Beautiful Game that effectively Arsenal fans bought the right to buy a season ticket for a set price for a long term number of years. I think it was something like £3,000 - £5,000 for this right or bond to allow you to purchase a season at 1993 prices for 10 years with allowances for inflation only. If I remember what I read correctly, the club subsequently raised these prices anyway leaving those who had paid the bond high and dry.

I'm very much open to correction on that.

I remember reading in David Conn's excellent The Beautiful Game that effectively Arsenal fans bought the right to buy a season ticket for a set price for a long term number of years. I think it was something like £3,000 - £5,000 for this right or bond to allow you to purchase a season at 1993 prices for 10 years with allowances for inflation only. If I remember what I read correctly, the club subsequently raised these prices anyway leaving those who had paid the bond high and dry.

I'm very much open to correction on that.

Not too sure about that, prices did jump up significantly, but almost certain it was after 2003.

Bonds are also still tradable at present.

Anyway hijacking over!

They'll hardly have it ready for Saturday :P

Edit: Whoops, its us that are at home.

We can afford seats...:p

That is actually the big question here, can they afford this? You see the restrictions that Arsenal have at the moment with the debt, how will an extra 400million debt effect spurs?

Internal_view_of_the_stadium.jpg

I love the look of that single tier stand behind the goal, I'll definitely be looking for a ST in there if we ever build the stadium.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/futureplans/news/planningapplicationsubmittednewsingletierstandforspursstadium261009.html

I hear they are putting apartments in the stadium too.... that'd be sick. Get saving reck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Very nice looking stadium there, love the single tier section

I hear they are putting apartments in the stadium too.... that'd be sick. Get saving reck :)

Nah, that's them to the right of the stadium in E-D's post above, can't see the ground from 'em :D (plus N17 is not a nice place)

Nah, that's them to the right of the stadium in E-D's post above, can't see the ground from 'em :D (plus N17 is not a nice place)

What'd the capacity be actually, 50, 60k?

• Advertisement

That is actually the big question here, can they afford this? You see the restrictions that Arsenal have at the moment with the debt, how will an extra 400million debt effect spurs?

See my post above, ENIC will not build this, and I'd imagine whoever buys from them will have deep pockets. Pompey's new owners enquired about a price before settling in Fratton. ENIC will look to the Middle East for investors, of that I am certain.
    Neil3030 wrote: »
    What'd the capacity be actually, 50, 60k?

Think it is 57k, going for the single tier stand means we lose out on boxes and some extra seating so we sacrifice about 2500 seats.

See my post above, ENIC will not build this, and I'd imagine whoever buys from them will have deep pockets. Pompey's new owners enquired about a price before settling in Fratton. ENIC will look to the Middle East for investors, of that I am certain.

So basically looking for a good Samaritan to stump up the best part of 400 million. Looks a very good project but nobody is going to stump up that cash in todays economic climate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Would Spurs fill a 57 thousand seater ground? Not a dig, genuine question. I know Fergie had a dig at Arsenal for having a ground too big for their fan base.

Chelsea have been talking for a long time about trying to extend Stamford Bridge but I doubt they would fill a 50,000 seater every game, just wonder if Spurs could fill the new stadium (when they get funding for it).

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Would Spurs fill a 57 thousand seater ground? Not a dig, genuine question. I know Fergie had a dig at Arsenal for having a ground too big for their fan base.

Chelsea have been talking for a long time about trying to extend Stamford Bridge but I doubt they would fill a 50,000 seater every game, just wonder if Spurs could fill the new stadium (when they get funding for it).

He got that one wrong then.

Think it is 57k, going for the single tier stand means we lose out on boxes and some extra seating so we sacrifice about 2500 seats.

Wonder if the rest of the middle tier will be Club Level seats

So basically looking for a good Samaritan to stump up the best part of 400 million.

Not really a Good Samaritan, there is plenty of interest left in the PL from abroad, he key for ENIC is to have everything tied up to increase their return. Nobody will buy Spurs without acknowledging the need for a new ground, but nobody will buy without the go-ahead from the Council for the new development (and also a new training facility which has run into problems with planning permission)
    dooferoaks wrote: »

The money men maintain we will, we currently have 25k ST holders and over 75k club members I'm told, with thousands on the ST waiting list. The real challenge will be to fill the corporate seats, that is where the money is, and they'll take a hit on empty cheap seats if they can ensure full take up of the corporate packages.

• Advertisement

Wonder if the rest of the middle tier will be Club Level seats

It will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I think levy said there where 20 thousand waiting on season tickets give or take a thousand

It will.

That will bring in a good bit, considering it is still a few years away the economy should have picked up by then.

Not really a Good Samaritan, there is plenty of interest left in the PL from abroad, he key for ENIC is to have everything tied up to increase their return. Nobody will buy Spurs without acknowledging the need for a new ground, but nobody will buy without the go-ahead from the Council for the new development (and also a new training facility which has run into problems with planning permission).

Planning permission will take years IMO for a project of this size. I suppose one has to take these plans with a pinch of salt.

Good luck with it though.

There's also the running costs of a modern, state-of-the-art facility to factor in to the equation. Even if there's only 30-40k at a few matches throughout the season, the net return may still be greater than had 30-40k turned up to the old stadium.

• Advertisement

Loads of documents, drawings etc available here for anyone who is interested, all related to the planning application:

http://www.planningservices.haringey.gov.uk/portal/servlets/ApplicationSearchServlet?PKID=206589

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Spurs will have no trouble filling those seats. They are one of the most exciting teams to watch in the league, all about attacking football, and are a fairly well run club.

I do hope that they get this stadium built, it'd be great to have another power out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Missed this the last time round. From those drawings it looks like it will be very similar to the emirates, it has the same oval footprint. The single tier at the end though looks class.

Are they going to try and fund it from turnover or wait until some billionaire comes along to buy them out?

Are they going to try and fund it from turnover or wait until some billionaire comes along to buy them out?

See my earlier posts on the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Looks remarkably like the Millenium stadium (with the single tier effect)...

millennium_stadium_470_470x350.jpg

But with mixed with a similar effect roof that the emirates has. Looks nice all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

See my earlier posts on the thread.

Aye, saw them, Very informative ta. What I meant though is it certain that ENIC are just looking to position them for the sale at this point? I hadn't seen it mentioned before, and i was wondering where it was coming from? Thought I remembered reading ENIC had been fairly dismissive of any approach previously...

Aye, saw them, Very informative ta. What I meant though is it certain that ENIC are just looking to position them for the sale at this point? I hadn't seen it mentioned before, and i was wondering where it was coming from? Thought I remembered reading ENIC had been fairly dismissive of any approach previously...

Daniel Levy was fairly dismissive of any approach for Dimitar Berbatov right up until we sold him for £30m...;)

It is in ENIC's interests to play the part of reluctant seller, that way they can maximise their return.

Why do I believe they will sell up? Because I have yet to see them pour millions into the club, almost all that has been reinvested has been earned by the business. I cannot see them wishing to put money in for the stadium project, and I definitely can't see them committing to the sort of borrowing needed for this to be realised. On top of that I've heard enough whispers to make me comfortable with my statements on here.

Advertisement