Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arthritis?

Options
  • 26-10-2009 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

My dog is a 10 year old terrier, & lately she's been getting a bit slow. She's having difficulties jumping up on the couch etc.. And I hear her whining a little bit sometimes. I'm bringing her to the vets tomorrow btw. I heard that there's other ways of curing arthritis rather than pumping her with pills (oils etc). If anybody has experience with this then please share. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Lizard Queen

well the first thing that can be done is if she has a weight problem, if she has extra weight on her that can put stain on the joints, if she doesnt hills have a food called j/d its a joint diet can be very good in arthitis management,

then theres arthri aid its a glusocamine supplement can help lubricate the joints and bring down inflammation. Finally theres a an anti-imflammatry / pain killer called metacam very effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Try giving her a Jointcare stick once a day. You can get it in Dunne's and Tesco's and it contains glucosamine. My 10 year old dog has been on it for a year and it's done her a world of good. Also a spoonful of cod liver oil mixed with her breakfast can't do any harm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

My 14 year old king charles had bad arthritis before she died. I didn't want to put her on pills as the ones the vet sugested are bad for their livers and kidneys. I used to give her a warm bath every few days to ease her. She'd be all hyper(as much as a 14 year old CKC can be:D) after her bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

ArthriAid worked miricles on any dogs I had with arthritis (there is also SeniorAid but I have never used it). Fish oils, not cod liver oil is also very good for lubricating the joints. If your dog carries any weight, it's best to try get it off, will do the world of good. A good Senior food, of veterinary joint care food (Hills comes to mind) would be a good idea too. The generally are not to high in calories and contain glusocamine etc. Also, heat is brilliant for sore joints. A heat pad (or something similar) is great to put under them while they are lying down. Keeping them out of the cold and helping them stay warm can prevent some of the stifness they tend to get at night.

Just a note on cod liver oil - I, personally, steer clear of it. It contains quite a lot of Vitamin A which can affect the liver. Usually, high doses are area of worry but I don't go near it with my dogs. Some people swear by it but I prefer to use fish oils (Salmon oil and the like).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

ArthriAid worked miricles on any dogs I had with arthritis (there is also SeniorAid but I have never used it). Fish oils, not cod liver oil is also very good for lubricating the joints. If your dog carries any weight, it's best to try get it off, will do the world of good. A good Senior food, of veterinary joint care food (Hills comes to mind) would be a good idea too. The generally are not to high in calories and contain glusocamine etc. Also, heat is brilliant for sore joints. A heat pad (or something similar) is great to put under them while they are lying down. Keeping them out of the cold and helping them stay warm can prevent some of the stifness they tend to get at night.

Just a note on cod liver oil - I, personally, steer clear of it. It contains quite a lot of Vitamin A which can affect the liver. Usually, high doses are area of worry but I don't go near it with my dogs. Some people swear by it but I prefer to use fish oils (Salmon oil and the like).

I've been giving a spoonful of cod liver oil to the eldest every day for 10 years and also give a spoonful each to the two younger, smaller dogs. I didn't know it could affect the liver, though. Where can I get salmon oil, as I'll switch to that?

• Advertisement
Advertisement