Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's Crime Capitals

Options
  • 26-10-2009 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭

Just saw a promo for a new programme on TV3 on Thursday called "Ireland's Crime Capitals".

While it's predictably unfortunate that they've stereotypically chosen Limerick for the first episode, at least the title has a plural and therefore isn't an issue. But does anyone know where they're going to visit in their travels ?

And what are the chances that they'll treat all areas equally, I wonder ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

It is just Donal McIntyre's show. Just expect to see the worst part of the city, he does the same thing with every city he visits. No doubt a few "characters" will get a chance to swell up like toads for the cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

What are we Gotham City now?first stop for negative city documentaries, actually thatd be cool, wonder what kind of villains Batman would face here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

krudler wrote: »
    What are we Gotham City now?first stop for negative city documentaries, actually thatd be cool, wonder what kind of villains Batman would face here :D

Hehe I have an image in my head of Batman trying to figure out who nicked the wheels off of the batmobile.:)

Antnee and Deckie doesn't quite have the same ring as Bat villians as the Joker and Hush do. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Kevin Kiely as Two-Face

Willie O Dea as The Penguin

I wish I had photoshop. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

RonMexico wrote: »
    Kevin Kiely as Two-Face

Willie O Dea as The Penguin

I wish I had photoshop. :D
    I did a really bad version of Willie O Dea as Penguin if you wanna see? :3

Could you imagine it "golly gee whiz Batman it's Rasher and Steamer our arch enemies"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

How can a country have two capitals? If they can't even get that right, I despair for the series.

concussion wrote: »
    How can a country have two capitals? If they can't even get that right, I despair for the series.

It says nothing about the country having two capitals, the series is crime capitals, which are the places it thinks have the most crime in Ireland.

So expect Limerick, Cork, Kilkenny, Athlone, and Waterford to feature, with the last episode no doubt kept for the Dublin criminals.

I'm just happy Limerick is up first as normally in this type of show they show what they think is a pretty bad place to start a series to get attention, but what they regard as the worst place is nearly always kept for the last show.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Was fairly disgusted when I first saw the ad. Then I reminded myself, it's only TV3, most of their out-put is basically the television equivalent of the Daily Mail, so its not worth getting bothered about. We all know at this stage that Limerick has its good parts and its bad.

I wonder if it'll feature our most offensive Halloween decoration? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Apparently he describes Moyross and Southill as shanty-towns. When he was working for Channel 5 he wanted to include Limerick in a top 5 international no go areas, up their with some of Latin America's finest. Typical delusional Jackeen. That doesn't mean I'm not gonna watch it, I'll at least Sky Plus it anyway.

gaf1983 wrote: »
    Apparently he describes Moyross and Southill as shanty-towns. When he was working for Channel 5 he wanted to include Limerick in a top 5 international no go areas, up their with some of Latin America's finest. Typical delusional Jackeen. That doesn't mean I'm not gonna watch it, I'll at least Sky Plus it anyway.

Typical Limerick "we can insult people from other cities but we get bent out of shape when people criticise us" mentality:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

I don't see anything stereotypical about basing a show around the crime in Limerick. It's as bad if not worse than the rest of the crime centres that will feature in the show. No one is suggesting there aren't decent people living there, its just that nasty folk do too and they are the core subject of the show. I still won't watch it, TV3 and my remote never synchronize, it's a crap station, always was always will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Typical Limerick "we can insult people from other cities but we get bent out of shape when people criticise us" mentality:rolleyes:

Its not getting bent out of shape about people insulting us, such people can quite frankly go choke on a bag of dicks for all we should care. Its about constantly portraying Limerick as Irelands own Compton, when if the stats behind such coverage are logically looked at, its not that dangerous at all. Yes, people get killed but its all down to 2 groups. I don't see drive by's in Limerick City centre, do you? That's a crime capital if you want to define it, where the gangsters are literally running the city with little to no interference from the police.

DarkJager wrote: »
    Its not getting bent out of shape about people insulting us, such people can quite frankly go choke on a bag of dicks for all we should care. Its about constantly portraying Limerick as Irelands own Compton, when if the stats behind such coverage are logically looked at, its not that dangerous at all. Yes, people get killed but its all down to 2 groups. I don't see drive by's in Limerick City centre, do you? That's a crime capital if you want to define it, where the gangsters are literally running the city with little to no interference from the police.

Isnt that what essientially happening though? people are being killed and nobody's being convicted as people dont want to speak up or are threatened for doing so. I just dont get the Limerick attitude of "sure Dublin is worse!" any time someone says something about the crime here, doesnt matter if Dublin is worse, we're not talking about Dublin, we're talking about here, and there is crime, plenty of it. This constant "or sure its all just the dublin media" excuse has gotten old, and its just that, an excuse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Isnt that what essientially happening though? people are being killed and nobody's being convicted as people dont want to speak up or are threatened for doing so. I just dont get the Limerick attitude of "sure Dublin is worse!" any time someone says something about the crime here, doesnt matter if Dublin is worse, we're not talking about Dublin, we're talking about here, and there is crime, plenty of it. This constant "or sure its all just the dublin media" excuse has gotten old, and its just that, an excuse

The gardai don't do themselves any favors when it comes to public perception in this city, but I am willing to bet that behind the scenes, they are building a book of evidence that will put both scumbag families away for the rest of eternity. If we don't have faith in our police service, we are already handing over the city to the scumbags.

DarkJager wrote: »

You mean besides the guy who got shot in the leg in a drive by on Parnell Street, or the guy who had shots taken at him on William Street, botrh in the last 12 months or so? :p

Our scum are not running the city though, but there is little or no interference in what they do by the Gardai.

We have serious problems here in Limerick, problems that are getting worse, but the media does tend to take those serious problems and multiply them tenfold.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭missgwish

i dunno, i recently rang Henry St for a scumbag related incident and they were at the house in 10 mins to sort it out.

as with every city we have our good points and bad but all in all i think the Gardai do a brilliant job. as said earlier its 2 main groups that cause the problems but 99 times out of 100 they're killing each other. yes occasionally there is an innocent bystander but that is definetly the exception to the rule.

fair enough if i'm walking around town at night i keep a careful eye around me but i don't carry any weapons, where as a few mates in Dublin don't leave the house without a pocket knife.

missgwish wrote: »
    i dunno, i recently rang Henry St for a scumbag related incident and they were at the house in 10 mins to sort it out.

as with every city we have our good points and bad but all in all i think the Gardai do a brilliant job. as said earlier its 2 main groups that cause the problems but 99 times out of 100 they're killing each other. yes occasionally there is an innocent bystander but that is definetly the exception to the rule.

fair enough if i'm walking around town at night i keep a careful eye around me but i don't carry any weapons, where as a few mates in Dublin don't leave the house without a pocket knife.

I really just don't get that. Why the hell would anyone want to carry a knife going out at night?

If you pull it on someone you are either going to have to use it, or have it taken off you and used back.

I just don't buy into this "I carry a weapon to feel safe" crap.

If a person carries a weapon then they are a potential danger to themselves and others, and basically as bad as the scumbags they are claiming they need the weapon for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Kinda getting sick of reading in Limerick Papers
    about scumbags who get arrested, sent to court,
    only to get off on a suspended sentence.....
    to add insult to injury the papers let the public
    know the scumbags in question had something like eg: 96 previous convictions.

WTF! if suspect has previous past convictions that are more
    than their age in years! surely people have to wonder
    what the hell are they doing still walking the streets of Limerick!

~B

bullets wrote: »
    Kinda getting sick of reading in Limerick Papers
    about scumbags who get arrested, sent to court,
    only to get off on a suspended sentence.....
    to add insult to injury the papers let the public
    know the scumbags in question had something like eg: 96 previous convictions.

WTF! if suspect has previous past convictions that are more
    than their age in years! surely people have to wonder
    what the hell are they doing still walking the streets of Limerick!

~B

Hehe your username made me laugh again. Last time was when I was driving on New Street and there was a big BULLITZ sprayed on a wall there.

I saw an advert for the TV3 show, and what was on a wall during the advert?

A wall with BULLITZ sprayed on it. :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It doesn't help that the country's prisons are packed beyond capacity. There's just no suitable place to put the fuckers when they're convicted, so they end up walking away effectively unpunished.

• Advertisement

An File wrote: »
    It doesn't help that the country's prisons are packed beyond capacity. There's just no suitable place to put the fuckers when they're convicted, so they end up walking away effectively unpunished.

This is why my catapult idea is so sound, scumbags get punished,people get a show,everybody wins:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Kess73 wrote: »
    Hehe your username made me laugh again. Last time was when I was driving on New Street and there was a big BULLITZ sprayed on a wall there.

I saw an advert for the TV3 show, and what was on a wall during the advert?

A wall with BULLITZ sprayed on it. :D

Would love to know who that fecker is, The've it sprayed
    all around Limerick in widely varying places, whoever it is gets around.

I must start takeing photos's of where ever I see the tag to see just how much
    they get about.

I've had my Handle "Bullets" that I've used on the web since around 1997 before this
    bulletz person started vandalizing places.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Anyone know who CIRA is? Maybe its a girl called Ciara that left school early and cant spell!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Anyone know who CIRA is? Maybe its a girl called Ciara that left school early and cant spell!?

Continuity IRA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Browney7 wrote: »
    Continuity IRA

:eek:

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Browney7 wrote: »
    Continuity IRA

DOH :D

Maybe i should have included a smilie in my previous post but i didnt think anyone could be that thick :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

bullitz was/possibly still IS a rap act from moyross I think. The lead guy got sent down for a few years so the group was put on hiatus AFAIK.

zuroph wrote: »
    bullitz was/possibly still IS a rap act from moyross I think. The lead guy got sent down for a few years so the group was put on hiatus AFAIK.

Oh yeah, I remember reading that in one of the local papers. The graffiti was supposed to be their version of free self-advertising...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Can someone tape this for me and put it on a DVD? I would be happy to pay for it. PM me if you can help me out.

• Advertisement

If it is any help to you, TV3 do a catch up on their site where you can watch shows after they have been broadcast.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement