Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards November forecast comp -- your guess is as good as mine (I hope)

Options
  • 26-10-2009 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭

November 2009

Well then, with the competition into the final stretch, here's the challenge you face (remember, you brought this on yourself) ...

(1) Mean monthly temp (C) usual rules.

(2) Max temp for the month (C) usual rules.

(3) Min temp for the month (C) usual rules.

(4) First report of snow from any met.ie station (keep your eyes open, I am not awake 24/7) ... give the date, and the location (equal points) ... no snow is an option for full marks.

(5) Predict the high temp for new boys Gurteen on Saturday 14th.

You have until Saturday 1 Nov at 2359 GMT to attempt these near-impossible feats of forecasting, without penalty, and all day 2nd to limp in under possible penalty. After that, the doors are locked.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

(1) 7.2 C

(2) 18.0 C

(3) -4.4 C

(4) snow on 16th at Knock (on wood)

(5) Gurteen 14th max 11.3

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭kindredspirit

No. 1. 8.5°C.

No. 2. 17.0°C.

No. 3. -3.3°C.

No. 4. NIL.

No. 5. 11.8°C.

By the way is the 1st of November a Saturday in Canada? It's Sunday here. :):):) (Only joking R.)

I made a terrible boo-boo with the ODAS Buoys last month. And I, of all people, should have known better. (I was ½ asleep. :eek: :eek: )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

1. 8.1

2. 16.9

3. -3.8

4. BALLYHAISE, November 15th

5. 11.0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

(1) 8.2°C

(2) 15.9°C

(3) -2.8°C

(4) snow on 23rd at Knock ( on door )

(5) Gurteen 14th max 12.3°C

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

1) Mean monthly temp (C) usual rules. 8.2 C

(2) Max temp for the month (C) usual rules. 15.1 C

(3) Min temp for the month (C) usual rules. -2.9 C

(4) First report of snow from any met.ie station (keep your eyes open, I am not awake 24/7) ... give the date, and the location (equal points) ... no snow is an option for full marks. None

(5) Predict the high temp for new boys Gurteen on Saturday 14th. 13.6C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭dasa29

(1) 8.4°C

(2) 15.5°C

(3) -3.0°C

(4) no snow

(5) Gurteen 14th max 11.2°C

Sorry about the confusion with the dates there, this was bound to happen eventually with me being eight hours behind, of course you have to the end of Sunday, 1 Nov to enter without penalty, so anyone who cares to edit their forecasts can do so freely until then. And you have the option of entering under penalty on Monday, 2 November.

Tis a brave person indeed who would predict no snow in November looking at the charts we see today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

(1) 7.9 C

(2) 17.4 C

(3) -3.5 C

(4) Snow on the 24th at Knock

(5) Gurteen 14th max temp 12.5 C

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

(1) Mean monthly temp (C) usual rules. 7.0c

(2) Max temp for the month (C) usual rules.14.4c

(3) Min temp for the month (C) usual rules. -3.9c

(4) First report of snow from any met.ie station (keep your eyes open, I am not awake 24/7) ... give the date, and the location (equal points) ... no snow is an option for full marks. Knock 18th November

(5) Predict the high temp for new boys Gurteen on Saturday 14th. 14.4c ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Sorry for being late.

(1) Mean monthly temp (C) usual rules. 7.1

(2) Max temp for the month (C) usual rules 15.4c

(3) Min temp for the month (C) usual rules. -3.4c

(4) First report of snow from any met.ie station (keep your eyes open, I am not awake 24/7) ... give the date, and the location (equal points) ... no snow is an option for full marks. no snow

(5) Predict the high temp for new boys Gurteen on Saturday 14th. 13.3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Strasser

(1) Mean monthly temp (C) usual rules. 7.7

(2) Max temp for the month (C) usual rules 14.6c

(3) Min temp for the month (C) usual rules. -2.4c

(4) First report of snow from any met.ie station (keep your eyes open, I am not awake 24/7) ... give the date, and the location (equal points) ... no snow is an option for full marks. no snow

(5) Predict the high temp for new boys Gurteen on Saturday 14th. 9.3

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

(1) Mean monthly temp (C) usual rules. 8.2c

(2) Max temp for the month (C) usual rules. 15.6c

(3) Min temp for the month (C) usual rules. -2.1c

(4) First report of snow from any met.ie station. Knock - 22nd

(5) Predict the high temp for new boys Gurteen on Saturday 14th. 11.6c

Nobody's late yet, I messed up on the date for today (Sunday not Sat 1 Nov) so anyone who wants to edit can do so until midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭octo

So, what are the "usual rules"?

As to the "usual rules," I have resorted to this phrase because our competition is an annual one as well as monthly, and we seem to have a regular dozen or so entrants who know the rules ... will probably be revisiting those in December as we plan for perhaps an even larger contest for 2010.

But for the record, the rules we use for monthly mean temperature are simply to take the average of highest and lowest monthly means. The reason for this is that said figures become available very soon after the month ends, and taking the actual average of all stations would require a lot more work for a slightly different result (I inherited this system from the previous manager, and it seems to work reasonably well).

The highest and lowest for the month are basically what you would expect, the highest and lowest temperatures reported at any met.ie station in their monthly summary, once again, available very soon after the month is over for scoring. The bonus questions are scored according to rules that were laid down in January, basically I have some flexibility there if the scores are all going to be low, I rank the predictions and score them that way.

Anyway, the deadline for any other entries will soon arrive (midnight) and I would say to anyone who wants to join in, try Nov and Dec if you like but think about joining in for sure in January when the new annual competition starts up. We'll have a discussion about the contest to see what people would like to do (same or anything new and different) in December some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

1) Mean monthly temp (C) usual rules. 8.7C
    (2) Max temp for the month (C) usual rules. 16.3C
    (3) Min temp for the month (C) usual rules. -2.5C
    (4) First report of snow from any met.ie station (keep your eyes open, I am not awake 24/7) ... give the date, and the location (equal points) ... no snow is an option for full marks. No Snow
    (5) Predict the high temp for new boys Gurteen on Saturday 14th. 11.6c

But for the record, the rules we use for monthly mean temperature are simply to take the average of highest and lowest monthly means.

Thanks MT. Might leave it til January. So, those would be the average of all the met.ie highest and lowest?

More or less, but the technical answer would be, it's the average of the two stations out of about a dozen, which happen to record the highest and lowest average for the month, and that's how they record their average (from their daily highs and lows). I'm guessing that this simplified method usually comes with a few tenths of a degree of the more complicated way of averaging all the stations (which get their averages as you say).

And I didn't mention this before, but our conventional scoring is to give 30% for that monthly average, where you lose 1 point per 0.1 C deg, and 25% each for the monthly high and low extremes, same deductions.

Try it out in December if you want, it's better to try one before the year starts to get a feel for it.

Gurteen achieved a high of 9.6 C on the 14th. Strasser picks up the gold medal on that one with 9.3 C.

Has anyone seen a mention of snow yet at official sites? I've only seen reports of snow on higher elevations but nothing spotted at the official stations yet.

What defines snow at any of the weather stations?

• Advertisement

I would take it to mean any report of snow (in an hourly report or special) at any of the various regular observing sites on the met.ie website.

It would not mean a report of lying snow with a given depth, that would be stated more like "name the station with the first report of lying snow" -- but I hope the various entrants took the question the way I meant it.

I've seen reports (on my forecast thread for example) from travellers who have seen snow at higher elevations, but there again, I think the contest entrants would all agree those reports, while interesting, are not examples to be used in determining this contest question.

Any thoughts?

There's a report of snow at Johnstown Castle, does that count?

LATEST IRISH WEATHER REPORTS
    ON 21-NOV-2009 for 19:00
    Location Wind Weather Temp Humidity Rain Pressure

JOHNSTOWN CASTLE(A) S 15 Gust 26 RECENT SNOW 10 82 1.9 995

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

That would be it, unless someone knows of an earlier report

At 10c, it can be dismissed as an error report.

I saw that, is there a human observer there, because snow at 10 C, seems more likely to be hail ... but I'll seek clarification ... it's probably going to snow somewhere tomorrow, I would think.

I saw that, is there a human observer there, because snow at 10 C, seems more likely to be hail ... but I'll seek clarification ... it's probably going to snow somewhere tomorrow, I would think.

JOHNSTOWN CASTLE
    52.292°N
    6.5° W
    49M above mean sea level
    Johnstown Castle Automatic Weather Station (AWS) was opened in 2003 and is situated in the grounds of the Teagasc research centre, Johnstown Castle, Co. Wexford. The AWS has replaced a manual climate station which has a continuous climatological record since 1914. Since April, 2008 the station has replaced Rosslare as a WMO Synoptic Station.

Maybe Octo or MetEireann can give a definitive.

• Company Representative Posts: 55 Verified rep MetEireann

Joe Public wrote: »
    LATEST IRISH WEATHER REPORTS
    ON 21-NOV-2009 for 19:00
    Location Wind Weather Temp Humidity Rain Pressure

JOHNSTOWN CASTLE(A) S 15 Gust 26 RECENT SNOW 10 82 1.9 995

Hi Folks - As some of you have wisely guessed, this is an erroneous report from our present weather detector in the automatic weather station in Johnstown Castle. It works by measuring the dispersion characteristics of an infra-red beam through the air and unfortunately it occasionally can give errors due to the similarities of the dispersal curves associated with different weathers. This has been flagged as the conditions at the time (southerlies, 10 deg C) wouldn't be associated with snowfall, and it won't enter the official climate records.

We are aware of it and we are working with Vaisala, the manufacturers of the sensor, to address it. Please accept our apologies for the misleading information.

Thanks for verifying it ME, as a matter of interest, could you explain further to us the class of equipment used at your AWS sites.

Any chance some of the Davis gear in use?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Danno wrote: »
    Thanks for verifying it ME, as a matter of interest, could you explain further to us the class of equipment used at your AWS sites.

Any chance some of the Davis gear in use?

Interesting question Danno , i eagerly await the reply :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement

kerry1960 wrote: »
    Interesting question Danno , i eagerly await the reply :rolleyes:.
    Could you explain the sarcasm? I don't get it.

Advertisement