Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to start, want to build programs

Options
  • 26-10-2009 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭

Ok, so im pretty good with computers but i never done any college. I done some courses a few years ago on web design and considering the amount i paid for them it wasnt good value. Anywho part of the course was dealing with server side javavscript, its not widely used but it allowed me to create a backend database with MSacess so ive a very basic knowledge of coding.

I dont want to spend thousands on courses as i dont have the time or money to do it full time so id rather learn by reading and doing, possibly online courses or buying preogramming for dummies type books. I know if i get the basics down then i can try a few projects and learn that way, when i cant do something i can research it on the internet.

Anyway i mostly would like to work with building simple applications for windows, programs that work off postgreSQL and Mysql databases and also id be interested in learning how to design a program, like a cash register program, accountancy software and that kind of thing.

So my question is where do i start, what language is best to learn, is there a pre-requisite that i should learn C, then C# then C++ or does learning the more advanced one bypass the need to learning the other two.

For the things i want to do what is the best language to start with and do you recommend any books/ebooks/online courses. Im under no illusions that its going to be easy but ive heard with VB or is VB .net that you can start creating simple applications quickly if you get the basics, this is more of a hobby than wanting a degree and i think if i learn the basics and then learn the rest building applications then ill stick with it but if im stuck learning theory for weeks ill probably get bored. Any help very much appreciated.

Also ive an interest in poker and some of the applications capture information from the poker table (some via text and i presume the others scrape info from the screen) what kind of programming is involved in this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

dvdfan wrote: »
    Ok, so im pretty good with computers but i never done any college. I done some courses a few years ago on web design and considering the amount i paid for them it wasnt good value. Anywho part of the course was dealing with server side javavscript, its not widely used but it allowed me to create a backend database with MSacess so ive a very basic knowledge of coding.
    A phrase often thrown around is that "once you know one language you can pick up another easy enough", so you're well on your way as long as you've dealt with the basic concepts like loops, data structures, algorithms (Which you almost certainly have, regardless of whether those terms were used :P)
    I dont want to spend thousands on courses as i dont have the time or money to do it full time so id rather learn by reading and doing, possibly online courses or buying preogramming for dummies type books. I know if i get the basics down then i can try a few projects and learn that way, when i cant do something i can research it on the internet.
    I'd say most self-taught programmers just learn to program online, googling for "[language] tutorial" will usually get you loads of resources, as someone who taught himself to program this way I'd say it can be quite good.
    When doing this look at a few tutorials (just skim through the beginning) and see which ones you like, pick 2 or 3 of them and work through them, I found this was very helpful as you'll see the same info worded in a couple of different ways, with different examples and it really helps you understand it. Also if one tutorial leaves something out or explains it badly you won't miss out.
    Having programming experience before (no matter how little) you might find that you can fly through the beginnings of the tutorials without much thought.
    Anyway i mostly would like to work with building simple applications for windows, programs that work off postgreSQL and Mysql databases and also id be interested in learning how to design a program, like a cash register program, accountancy software and that kind of thing.

So my question is where do i start, what language is best to learn, is there a pre-requisite that i should learn C, then C# then C++ or does learning the more advanced one bypass the need to learning the other two.
    Well any of these languages can be learned independently of the others and there's no point learning C if you're only ever going to use C++ (Except perhaps learning for learning's sake :P).
    C# is generally considered the easiest of the 3 of them (And isn't quite as similar to the other 2 as they are to each other), and C++ is generally considered easier than C.

Really though these 3 languages aren't necessarily the way to go, and everyone will give different advice on which language to choose :P.
    I'd personally recommend Python for it's easiness to learn, though I generally use C++ and love it.

I'd recommend not trying to take on too much at once and just move forward when you're ready, it can be a bit annoying when learning a language that you can't really "do anything" with it yet, but if you try rush into graphics/database access/networking before you get a solid grasp of the language you'll just slow yourself down.
    For the things i want to do what is the best language to start with and do you recommend any books/ebooks/online courses. Im under no illusions that its going to be easy but ive heard with VB or is VB .net that you can start creating simple applications quickly if you get the basics, this is more of a hobby than wanting a degree and i think if i learn the basics and then learn the rest building applications then ill stick with it but if im stuck learning theory for weeks ill probably get bored. Any help very much appreciated.
    I can't really say I've used VB or VB.net much but I've heard bad things about them (that they aren't really suited for large or "proper" programs), though word of mouth doesn't mean much.
    Also ive an interest in poker and some of the applications capture information from the poker table (some via text and i presume the others scrape info from the screen) what kind of programming is involved in this?
    It could be done a lot of different ways really, depends very much on the specifics of this particular case, it could just use image recognition, might be able to search for the text, there may be a developer API defined so that programmers can get this info... But really I'd say don't worry about this before you need to, pretty much all of these can be done in any major language witht he right library (although if there is an API defined it may be for a specific language)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dvdfan

Ok thanks for the really detailed reply, i was expecting something on the lines of "its not just something you can pick up" so im very happy with your positive response.

I got my hands on a C++ from the ground up, third edition (Herbert Schildt) so i might aswell start with that then try building a few simple apps and then might try Phyton after that.

I presume the book will deal with it, but i was wondering about the applications you need to build the GUI's and any other programs i need for debugging etc i presume they are open source and freely available or do i need to buy some of them.

Anyway thats exactly the kind of info i was hoping for so thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Microsoft Visual C++ Express is free
    there is also CodeBlocks if your looking for an open source IDE

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

I learned VB 6 then VB.net and stepped up to c#. I was grand out in C#. The job I have is in VB.net and tbh it's grand out it's pretty much an object oriented language. I looked down on VB.net begore when I was c# but it's now very much the same.
    Learning VB.Net or C# with a solid bit of SQL is a very useful and marketable skill to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭carveone

Bill-e wrote: »
    I learned VB 6 then VB.net and stepped up to c#. I was grand out in C#. The job I have is in VB.net and tbh it's grand out it's pretty much an object oriented language. I looked down on VB.net begore when I was c# but it's now very much the same.

"it's now very much the same". That's the thing isn't it. I didn't realise that before but the difference between VB.NET and C# is just down to syntatical differences, where it doesn't matter as much as you might think. VB and VB.NET are majorly different though.

For i As Integer = 0 To 7
    TabControl1.TabPages(i).Text = "Tab: " + i.ToString()
    Next i

as opposed to the C# equivalent.

for(int i = 0; i < 8; i++) {
    tabControl1.TabPages.Text = "Tab: " + i;
    }

It's up to yourself, but if you'll be interfacing with databases, you'll probably end up with one or other of the .net languages.

Learning VB.Net or C# with a solid bit of SQL is a very useful and marketable skill to have.

Unless you go through a HR person who thinks that VB.net == VB6. Jobwise I'd say C# looks nice on a CV :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement