Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to get the swine flu jab??

Options
  • 26-10-2009 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was just wondering how many of you's are as confused as I am over this swine flu jab???
    I am an obese lady in my early 20's with problems with my immune system and blood sugar. I will be honest I do pick up any cold/flu that goes around. This year I decided this year ti get the ordinary flu jab....

I am wondering what to as regards the swine flu jab...I've heard so many stories about it that have simply turned me against this...

Certainly not looking for medical advice here...I'm just looking for other peoples opinion on this!!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Doubt I'll bother myself.

I only rarely tend to get the regular flu jab, which then just makes me feel a bit crappy for a few days, and I've just survived the winter (summer) down in the southern hemisphere without picking up their version of the pig flu. I'd only get the regular one anyway if I was in seeing the GP about something else as I have an aversion to giving a GP money when there is nothing* whatsoever wrong with me.

* Not entirely true, but I still resent paying money to be told that I'm fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I am getting the flu jab as soon as possible - I am a type 1 diabetic and 15 weeks pregnant and my husband is on immuosupressants for crohns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Yeah my mother has rheumatoid arthritis, minor fibromyalgia, reynaulds and so forth, and my GP's told her she really really should get the jab.
    (he's not one of those pushy GPs to get money out of you, he's been our GP for 19 years and his brother was our GP before that)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

There is a general Swine Flu vaccination thread here that may be of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭KiLLeR CoUCh

Yes. I have epilepsy, my father has Parkinsons and I work part time in a Pharmacy so I'm generally exposed to everything that's going around. I haven't heard anything about when or where it'll be available however. I'd like to get it as soon as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Not getting it. I'm on immune suppressants so allowing a virus into my system isn't the best idea and hasn't been recommended :D

🤪

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Not getting it. I'm on immune suppressants so allowing a virus into my system isn't the best idea and hasn't been recommended :D

I'm on immune suppressants too- and can't wait to get the vaccine. Its not a live virus- its attenuated (its payload is removed- leaving just the superstructure of the virus, so it can't replicate, but it teaches your immune system to recognise the virus, so if you're subsequently exposed to it- your immune system will attack it before it has a chance to replicate). (Hope this is a good laymans description- correct me if there are any inaccuracies!)

When you say the vaccine hasn't been recommended for you- by whom? As you're on immune suppressants- you're automatically on the list of 'at-risk' patients prioritised for early vaccination by the HSE........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

My boyfriend has asthma and is itching to get the swine flu jab as feels he is in the at risk category. Do we know when it's available yet?

Personally I don't know yet if I will; I have worked in healthcare for the past 4/5 years as such and only once got the flu jab and boy did I suffer! And for someone who never gets a flu! Where I currently work the doctors seem in two minds but it's my decision ultimately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

robinph wrote: »
    Doubt I'll bother myself.

I have an aversion to giving a GP money when there is nothing* whatsoever wrong with me.

Actually, the swine flu jab and the adminstration of it are free, according to a leaflet that I got from the GP during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

My boyfriend has asthma and is itching to get the swine flu jab as feels he is in the at risk category. Do we know when it's available yet?

I had it last Tuesday, and I heard on the radio news that the GPs who are signed up were to have received it by now, so he should probably contact his GP.

Edit: Today, Saturday, my left arm finally feels like I haven't strained it lifting weights. Still, its preferable to getting the flu.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Yup my mother's getting it on Wednesday. GP had to get 10 people to do it together, because of the way they (GPs) are given the vaccine, otherwise they'd be wasting lots of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Hi all,

I was just wondering how many of you's are as confused as I am over this swine flu jab???
    I am an obese lady in my early 20's with problems with my immune system and blood sugar. I will be honest I do pick up any cold/flu that goes around. This year I decided this year ti get the ordinary flu jab....

I am wondering what to as regards the swine flu jab...I've heard so many stories about it that have simply turned me against this...

Certainly not looking for medical advice here...I'm just looking for other peoples opinion on this!!

Talk to your doctor about it. The soldier from Coleraine who died from it was young and healthy but look at the photo. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8191386.stm

What stories have you heard about it?

Seeing as you're obese and have immune problems I think any perceived risk is outweighed by the risk that you might die if you contract it.
    Sabre0001 wrote:
    Not getting it. I'm on immune suppressants so allowing a virus into my system isn't the best idea and hasn't been recommended

Take heed of what smccarrick said. You do not get the virus from the vaccination. Being on immune suppressants you'd get hit by the virus much worse if you caught it, and you're very likely to come into contact with.

Really, this is very important, virtually everyone who died from it had an underlying condition. I really hope anyone reading to this talks to their doctors about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Really, this is very important, virtually everyone who died from it had an underlying condition. I really hope anyone reading to this talks to their doctors about it.

Very true words said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Tuesday afternoon thankfully. I'm on plenty of imunsuppresents (spelling:confused:) and work with the public on the daily basis in a supermarket so i'm amazed i haven't been got yet by the stupid bug.......wood anywhere?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Actually, the swine flu jab and the adminstration of it are free, according to a leaflet that I got from the GP during the week.

I bet they still charge you for sticking you with a needle though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I read somewhere that it will take 2 injections and will cost patients €20 per shot and the rest will be paid by the HSE. I've since heard that now it will be one shot.

Also what are the risks for obese people when it comes to swine flu?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

robinph wrote: »
    I bet they still charge you for sticking you with a needle though.

I can't speak for everywhere but my wife (pregnant) wasn't charged by her GP for it and I'm not being charged for it when I get it this Wednesday (I'm diabetic btw).

I'm happily getting it and I'm relieved herself is now covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I just made an appointment, its a walk in clinic at the practice 5 pm Tuesday to Thursday, bring my PPS number. I presume that means I won't be charged for the dose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭FluffyCat

I got the jab on saturday and didnt really think about weather or not to get it.
    I have MS and asthma and thought it would be the best thing to do.
    I dont bother with the normal flu jab because I want my body to have some natural defences and dont usually get colds and flus and stuff.
    Word of warning though!! It hurt!! Didnt hurt till the evening but could barely move my arm then!! Didnt sleep sat or sun night with the pain but its easing now!!

I'm happily getting it and I'm relieved herself is now covered.[/quote]

It takes a few weeks to work before your covered so remember that!

• Advertisement

FluffyCat wrote: »
    It takes a few weeks to work before your covered so remember that!

Thanks for the clarification - I had known that but should have been clearer in my post.

I can also confirm that I had to listen to someone give out the whole weekend about the sore injection site!

Oh I though I was just being a wuss!!

I plan to keep up cleaning my hands with the gel though!

Germs are everywhere:eek:

To be honest, I'm going to trust the advice of our doctors and the WHO over an american news show. It seems to be very light on evidence and heavy on OH MY GOD THE VACCINE DID IT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Kelda09

Came on the forum to see if I could get anyadvice that would help me make up my mind, but Im still so confused, Im a type 1 diabetic (whoo hoo:rolleyes:) working as a carer and working with very vulmerable people. Have a great immune system, thankfully, never seem to pick up any of the numerous bugs or colds that I come into contact with, cant remember the last time I had the flu injection and so far have never had a flu. (Knocking on wood:o:o). Part of me thinks I wont bother getting it but think I will all the same as Id hate to think that I could be the cause of somebody else getting it. Christ Iv gone off the topic altogether sorry....... but can somebody please just TELL me what to do and make ,my life easier, ha ha:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Kelda09 wrote: »
    Came on the forum to see if I could get anyadvice that would help me make up my mind ... but can somebody please just TELL me what to do and make ,my life easier, ha ha:p:p

here's what to do: ask your doctor for advice.

nobody here is in a position to advise you.

I have asked my doc, sam34, just got stock reply of get it. Asked about possible side effects and just got a reply of 'dont worry you'll be fine' followed by significant long look at the watch.... Just don't like putting extra chemicals into myself, after all do it 4 times a day as it is plus have a major fear of needles:o:o...... Before anybody points out the obvious, yes I am aware that I inject myself regularly but thats different, It's only a tiny needle and I have no other choice. Guess Im just being a muppet. gonna grit the teeth and get it done, booked in for tomorrow morning @ 11 so wish me luck!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I found that it was more that the needle was in the arm which is not fleshy, it is not that bad, honest.

it is not that bad, honest.[/quote]

Can I sue you if I have a different experience ;);). Glad all went well with yours though, at least we have a survivor!!!!! ha ha.

Kelda09 wrote: »
    it is not that bad, honest.

Can I sue you if I have a different experience ;);). Glad all went well with yours though, at least we have a survivor!!!!! ha ha.[/QUOTE]

I really don't understand how/why the conspiracy brigade seem to have gotten such traction in the minds of the public. A straw poll would show that fewer than 1-in-3 of those considered to be priority 1 patients intend to vaccinate themselves- which is bizarre in my opinion.

I understand that people don't trust the HSE as far as they can throw them- but why delibertly put yourself in harms way- when there is a vaccination available?

:confused:

• Advertisement

It's not apprehension about the vaccine itself im sure it's safe, would have been nice if the doc had given a min to discuss my questions. as i mentioned earlier its mainly a fear of needles aspect with me, I dont know about others. the survivor comment to cathymoran was just an attempt at humor. I do however feel that if I didnt have diabetes I wouldnt get the vaccine, a couple of people I know who have no underlying issues got it and recovered fine after a very unpleasant period of time. Sorry if my comments arent making a lot of sense.:(

Advertisement