Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to get the swine flu jab??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

smccarrick wrote: »

I really don't understand how/why the conspiracy brigade seem to have gotten such traction in the minds of the public. A straw poll would show that fewer than 1-in-3 of those considered to be priority 1 patients intend to vaccinate themselves- which is bizarre in my opinion.

I understand that people don't trust the HSE as far as they can throw them- but why delibertly put yourself in harms way- when there is a vaccination available?

:confused:

Veering wildly off topic here but I read an article on wired recently about the anti-vaccine movement. 'Tis a good read:

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2009/10/ff_waronscience

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Kelda09 wrote: »
    It's not apprehension about the vaccine itself im sure it's safe, would have been nice if the doc had given a min to discuss my questions. as i mentioned earlier its mainly a fear of needles aspect with me, I dont know about others. the survivor comment to cathymoran was just an attempt at humor. I do however feel that if I didnt have diabetes I wouldnt get the vaccine, a couple of people I know who have no underlying issues got it and recovered fine after a very unpleasant period of time. Sorry if my comments arent making a lot of sense.:(
    Sometimes you have to laugh - I used to always say that I have a fear of needles, what is worse is that I am a type 1 diabetic. I dont know how long you have it but when I was a child we had to use a syringe which was nasty...as things turned out I had to have a lot of bloods/meds starting about 3 years ago - I still hate getting bloods taken.

The thing is that you do not know if you will be the unfortunate one that will have a very bad reaction to the flu so having the jab is by far the safest thing.

I had the regular flu a few years ago and it was horrible and I vowed to always get the jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Kelda09

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Sometimes you have to laugh - I used to always say that I have a fear of needles, what is worse is that I am a type 1 diabetic. I dont know how long you have it but when I was a child we had to use a syringe which was nasty...as things turned out I had to have a lot of bloods/meds starting about 3 years ago - I still hate getting bloods taken.

Glad Im not the only one, the silver lining is that at least when I go for my (irregular:p) checkups it entertains other people wit me as invariably someone will announce, 'you inject.... and your afraid of needles!) cue much laughing and piss taking. I have found my use in life, the entertainment of other diabetics!!;)

I suppose your right, just dont like 'unnecesary' injections like flu jabs etc especially as I seem to have such good immunity.

Have diabetes 13 years this week (the 6th) when I was diagnosed was usng syringes as well, think I was in shock in the hospital so I injected fro the start with relatively little hassle, wouldnt be able to do it now though, think it was the fact that at 14years old I was a bit dim and didnt realise diabetes was permanent, thought after a week or two id be back to normal (as you can tell I was very intelligent:pac::pac:)

Hope alls going well with the blood tests, good luck with them :)

Glad Im not the only one, the silver lining is that at least when I go for my (irregular:p) checkups it entertains other people wit me as invariably someone will announce, 'you inject.... and your afraid of needles!) cue much laughing and piss taking. I have found my use in life, the entertainment of other diabetics!!;)

I suppose your right, just dont like 'unnecesary' injections like flu jabs etc especially as I seem to have such good immunity.

Have diabetes 13 years this week (the 6th) when I was diagnosed was usng syringes as well, think I was in shock in the hospital so I injected fro the start with relatively little hassle, wouldnt be able to do it now though, think it was the fact that at 14years old I was a bit dim and didnt realise diabetes was permanent, thought after a week or two id be back to normal (as you can tell I was very intelligent:pac::pac:)

Hope alls going well with the blood tests, good luck with them :)
    I was diagnosed in 1985 at the ripe old age of 10 (the day before Valentines day, how romantic...) I thought that diabetes was everything for a few years and then I got cancer 3 years ago, dont get me wrong, I look after my diabetes very well, last HbA1c was 5.3. I am preggers thus all the blood tests...

The jab is not not nice, no one will tell you it is but there are far worse things (such as swine flu).

I was diagnosed in 1985 at the ripe old age of 10 (the day before Valentines day, how romantic...) I thought that diabetes was everything for a few years and then I got cancer 3 years ago, dont get me wrong, I look after my diabetes very well, last HbA1c was 5.3. I am preggers thus all the blood tests...

Oh the romance..... But at least other valentines could only get better, (i hope??) Congratulations on the pregnancy, when are you due and dammit tell me how you achieve the magical 5.3, please say theres a simple way of doing it, not just the old proper diet and exercise technique :p? Sorry to hear about the cancer, hope all is well with you now. ;)

• Advertisement

Oh the romance..... But at least other valentines could only get better, (i hope??) Congratulations on the pregnancy, when are you due and dammit tell me how you achieve the magical 5.3, please say theres a simple way of doing it, not just the old proper diet and exercise technique :p? Sorry to hear about the cancer, hope all is well with you now. ;)
    I am due in April but having problems with the pregnancy but that is another issue...

The 5.3, well lots of blood testing, knowing your body and having a Masters in Food Science helps...

The big C was 3 years ago but it still scares me...was on a ventilator and had pneumonia after the surgery, another reason why I do not like taking chances...

The flu jab is a minor inconvenience compared to the flu, let alone swine flu.

I am due in April but having problems with the pregnancy but that is another issue...

The 5.3, well lots of blood testing, knowing your body and having a Masters in Food Science helps...

The big C was 3 years ago but it still scares me...was on a ventilator and had pneumonia after the surgery, another reason why I do not like taking chances...

The flu jab is a minor inconvenience compared to the flu, let alone swine flu.

Im hoping everything works out with the pregnancy, Im sure it will, Stay positive, Im sure your getting lots of support from the boardsies among others!!!

Im not surprised it still scares you but it shows how strong you are, to come through all of that and still have, from what i see in the short while Ive been chatting you, a positive attitude, we need more people with your attitude to life:cool:

Well seeing as I dont have any qualification in Food Science think I'll be waiting a while until i get my bloods to 5.3 but whoo hoo to you, even with the masters Id imagine it's hard to avoid all the bad stuff, especially with the pregnancy, dont think id do it :D

Im hoping everything works out with the pregnancy, Im sure it will, Stay positive, Im sure your getting lots of support from the boardsies among others!!!

Im not surprised it still scares you but it shows how strong you are, to come through all of that and still have, from what i see in the short while Ive been chatting you, a positive attitude, we need more people with your attitude to life:cool:

Well seeing as I dont have any qualification in Food Science think I'll be waiting a while until i get my bloods to 5.3 but whoo hoo to you, even with the masters Id imagine it's hard to avoid all the bad stuff, especially with the pregnancy, dont think id do it :D
    I follow a low GI diet, it works for me...when I was younger the advice was wierd (it was all over the place). You can keep a diary of what you eat and your bloods 2 hours afterwards to see if you can spot a trend, the DAFNE course is supposed to do the same thing and is a great idea.

If you get ill your bloods can be all over the place (especially things like the flu (notice I am keeping on topic :)) and I have also found that stress affects my bloods...it sounds like a lot more work than it is.

I will repeat that getting the swine flu jab is important if you have an LTI though obviously check with your doc. Good luck with your jab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 kerchow

I am still wary of this jab. I never get the normal jab. (Am asthmatic) And I won't get this one either. Talking to a few girls in work today and most of us aren't gettting it either. I just don't have faith that a few months down the road they will discover that it doesn't really work and people will still end up getting the flu after getting the jab.

I follow a low GI diet, it works for me...when I was younger the advice was wierd (it was all over the place). You can keep a diary of what you eat and your bloods 2 hours afterwards to see if you can spot a trend, the DAFNE course is supposed to do the same thing and is a great idea.

If you get ill your bloods can be all over the place (especially things like the flu (notice I am keeping on topic :)) and I have also found that stress affects my bloods...it sounds like a lot more work than it is.

I will repeat that getting the swine flu jab is important if you have an LTI though obviously check with your doc. Good luck with your jab.

Funnily enough I did notice you kept on topic, very subtley done :p. Do you get commission for people you convince to get it??? Was supposed to do the DAFNE course ages but just couldnt get te time to do it but hoping to see about it the next time I go for a check up. Been hearing bout Low GI lately, think Ill make use of good old google for a look.

Definately agree with you on the stress aspect of sugar levels, when Im stressed my sugars go high, pure nuisence and balancing act, esp as Im stressed a lot...:confused: but Im just waitin for the day I win the lotto and post on boards from a sunny beach somewhere with perfect blood sugars!!:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Came on the forum to see if I could get anyadvice that would help me make up my mind, but Im still so confused, Im a type 1 diabetic (whoo hoo:rolleyes:) working as a carer and working with very vulmerable people. Have a great immune system, thankfully, never seem to pick up any of the numerous bugs or colds that I come into contact with, cant remember the last time I had the flu injection and so far have never had a flu. (Knocking on wood:o:o). Part of me thinks I wont bother getting it but think I will all the same as Id hate to think that I could be the cause of somebody else getting it. Christ Iv gone off the topic altogether sorry....... but can somebody please just TELL me what to do and make ,my life easier, ha ha:p:p

Get it. the difference with this flu is that no-one has natural immunity to it. Its a new infection, so even if you dont get it bad you could pass it on to the people you work with

kerchow wrote: »
    I am still wary of this jab. I never get the normal jab. (Am asthmatic) And I won't get this one either. Talking to a few girls in work today and most of us aren't gettting it either. I just don't have faith that a few months down the road they will discover that it doesn't really work and people will still end up getting the flu after getting the jab.
    In the end of the day it is your decision but surely the risk of getting swine flu scares you, you have nothing to loose by getting the jab, you potentially have a lot to loose by not getting it.

Speak to your doctor for advice.

so even if you dont get it bad you could pass it on to the people you work with
    Just got the Vaccination earlier today, all fine, no pain so far no sickness or any problems at all (touch wood it'll stay that way). Think this proves that I am,as I always thought INVINCIBLE......:D:D.

To be honest, bottle of smoke the thought and worry of being responsible for anybody getting it from me was the major factor in my decision to get it. The guilt Id feel if I thought it was my fault someone else got it would be awful.

Have to say though, got my vaccination at the local hospital, The process was very efficient and fast, In and out with all forms filled and my 15minutes waiting afterwards within 45 minutes. Fantastic staff who answered any questions I had. Very impressed...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Get it. the difference with this flu is that no-one has natural immunity to it. Its a new infection, so even if you dont get it bad you could pass it on to the people you work with

But isn't it only a possible vaccine for a possible version of the H1N1 that you might come into contact with? Pretty much the same as any regular yearly flu jab, and more people die of some version of that virus each year than have succumbed to the pig version so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

the thing with swine flu is that there are people with no underlying health problems that are dying from it.
    most people, if not all, who die from regular flu are elderly and generally quite sick or compromised otherwise.

but teh swine flu is killing otherwise healthy people.

(i know some of those who died had underlying probs, but not all)

Had mine done this afternoon. To be fair to the HSE - I booked it online, turned up at the right time, filled out some paper work and had the injection within 15 minutes. I had to stick around for another 15 minutes (I think they just wanted to see if anyone had an immediate adverse reaction) and was on my way.

We give out about them enough but I was happy with how it was handled in my case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did they charge you for the jab?

No charge. My wife went via her GP and wasn't charged either.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭mrpants

I wont be getting it and either will my pregnent wife till we see how it pans out. it hasnt been tested enough to give to pregnent women.

mrpants wrote: »
    I wont be getting it and either will my pregnent wife till we see how it pans out. it hasnt been tested enough to give to pregnent women.

It hasn't been tested enough in your opinion.

What I did was talk to my doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi OP here,

I've been reading what you've all had to say on the matter which has been interesting. I was at my GP there the other day with a chest infection and in his opinion I didn't need it.

I was a bit suprised at this to be honest! Like it's not that long ago since I've been in hospital on a drip for a viral illness and now a chest infection and the winter hasn't began yet!!

So I'm even further back than I was before. I was considering getting a second opinion but I don't know!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭mrpants

ElBarco wrote: »
    It hasn't been tested enough in your opinion.
    What I did was talk to my doctor.

sure everybody has their right to make their own decision and if you feel your doc is putting you on the right path then go with it. I'm not here to tell people what to do but only responding to the tread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Job done. Now to see what reaction occurs, if any.

sure everybody has their right to make their own decision and if you feel your doc is putting you on the right path then go with it. I'm not here to tell people what to do but only responding to the tread.
    Im pregnant too and I felt that the risk of getting swine flu far outweighed any potential risk from the vaccine but in the end it is up to you to make an educated decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 SQ80

Hi all, I have crohns disease and am on immunospressant drugs but dont know whether to get the vaccine or not. I spoke to my GP about 2 weeks ago and he gave me a yes/no answer about getting it. So today i decided to phone my consultant and spoke to his secretary (hes away at moment). Any bottom line is that neither of them appear to be backing the vaccine 100% and are suggesting its something i need to decide for myself.

Any one else come across this problem?

SQ80 wrote: »
    Hi all, I have crohns disease and am on immunospressant drugs but dont know whether to get the vaccine or not. I spoke to my GP about 2 weeks ago and he gave me a yes/no answer about getting it. So today i decided to phone my consultant and spoke to his secretary (hes away at moment). Any bottom line is that neither of them appear to be backing the vaccine 100% and are suggesting its something i need to decide for myself.

My husband also has crohns, is on immunosupression but his GP agreed to give it to him (will ask him when he gets back about his wonderful consultant)..I also got it as I am in multiple risk groups. Will get him to post in a few minutes!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

SQ80 wrote: »

Hi- I also have Crohn's Disease and am on Imuran. I was actively encouraged by my consultant to consider getting the regular flu vaccine, and then the H1N1 vaccine. I don't work in an area where I have many dealings with the public- but some of my colleagues have contracted swine flu already. I am very vunerable to anything going around- because of the immune supressants I'm on- and don't see why I should put myself at greater risk than necessary.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Why do you say it hasn't been tested enough to give to pregnant women? The maternity hospitals are actively encouraging all pregnant women post week 14 get themselves vaccinated, and Holles Street are giving the vaccine themselves. They are also suggesting pregnant women get the regular vaccine too.....

The H1N1 vaccine is being given to pregnant women in most jurisdictions that initiated vaccine programmes- where are you coming from suggesting that it hasn't been tested enough to give to pregnant women? Do you have any proper scientific research to back your contention?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

smccarrick wrote: »
    Do you have any proper scientific research to back your contention?

There is not any more scientific research to suggest that it does work though. The H1N1 has only been around affecting humans for less than a year, and the vaccine is only out a month or so.

Not saying that is doesn't work, just there is nothing much to say that it does either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 SQ80

Thanks smccarrick & CathyMoran.

I dont deal with the public but am still worried about catching it especially when there are people around me in work that are coughing and sneezing. I have never had the normal flu jab - luckily ive never had the flu! I suppose im a bit worried about the side effects - more so the long term ones which i know we arent really going to know about now.

A few weeks ago i was definitely going to get the jab but since my doc and consultants secretary are not telling me to definitely get it im beginning to wonder why....

Suppose ill just wait for another 2 weeks and ask my consultant himself and see what he has to say

Advertisement