Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to get the swine flu jab??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭notuslimited

When you go for the jab...what questions are asked on the forms which have to be filled in?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Kelda09

When you go for the jab...what questions are asked on the forms which have to be filled in?
    You get two forms to be filled in, One with general info, age address etc, medical condition so on, not much too it at all. Second form is consent form. Age, address, any allergies, if youve had any serious illnesses recently, GP's name and address, What medication your on, couple of other questions like that, not sure of the exact questions.

All in all filling out the forms only takes a couple of minutes and the nurse goes through it when you go in anyway. Thats what happened with me anyway today at the hospital, not sure bout geting it from a GP. I had no adverse reaction so far, arm slightly red for a while but no pain or swelling so hope all goes as smoothly for you if your getting it done. :):)

Hope this helps....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

getting mine tomorrow..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

17 hours later I'm showing no signs of a reaction.

24 hours later I'm showing no signs of a reaction.

48 hours later I'm showing no signs of a reaction apart from a slight pain at the injection site

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Kelda09

mike65 wrote: »
    17 hours later I'm showing no signs of a reaction.

24 hours later I'm showing no signs of a reaction.

Think we should set up a reaction alert!!! :D Ditto for me, so far so good, although Im at 32 hours..... D'ya think im safe :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

robinph wrote: »
    There is not any more scientific research to suggest that it does work though. The H1N1 has only been around affecting humans for less than a year, and the vaccine is only out a month or so.

Not saying that is doesn't work, just there is nothing much to say that it does either.
    Remember H1N1 is NOT a new brand new totally different superbug like SARS was.

It is just a new flu which has not been circulating in the population for a long, long time in this particular mix. Most Flus going around have either had their H antigen or N antigen either recently floating by or vaccinated against. This is a new H and a new N so no longer are we "half immune" as normal - but totally vulnerable. It does take down young people by sheer bad luck - but would you like to be that person who dies or is on a ventilator for 2 weeks in ICU?

The flu vaccine is not a new vaccine - just the same old humdrum yearly flu vaccine - expect in this case, it contains the H1N1 antigens as well as the other ones normally added every year. It is NOT a new superbug, it is NOT a new vaccine.

I have had the jab - no reaction at all. The injection site was only sore if I poked it (which I did a few times because I thought it felt kinda weird and cool!)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

DrIndy wrote: »
    Remember H1N1 is NOT a new brand new totally different superbug like SARS was.

It is just a new flu which has not been circulating in the population for a long, long time in this particular mix. Most Flus going around have either had their H antigen or N antigen either recently floating by or vaccinated against. This is a new H and a new N so no longer are we "half immune" as normal - but totally vulnerable. It does take down young people by sheer bad luck - but would you like to be that person who dies or is on a ventilator for 2 weeks in ICU?

The flu vaccine is not a new vaccine - just the same old humdrum yearly flu vaccine - expect in this case, it contains the H1N1 antigens as well as the other ones normally added every year. It is NOT a new superbug, it is NOT a new vaccine.

I have had the jab - no reaction at all. The injection site was only sore if I poked it (which I did a few times because I thought it felt kinda weird and cool!)

I am currently doing biomed in maynooth and am in my final year, i totally agree with your statement there in that swine flu is the same as any other flu. it is the media hype that has turned it into something more then it really is and as a result the ensuing panic and that.

i feel people and the general public must understand that even though there are an unusually higher number of flu cases the same people at risk or in the at risk group were always in the at risk group. many people each year in this group die from the flu each year anyway as bland as i have put it, its just never released in the press or otherwise.

as an end note i dont mean to offend anyone but to mearly give my opinion on what i know:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Hey all, got the jab last monday; i suffer from chronic asthma so was told i am "high-risk".

Felt a bit rough for the 24hrs afterwards and my arm is still a bit tender.

Have to go back in 2 weeks for the booster shot.

Think that anyone in a high-risk category really should get the jab; it's free and takes literally 10mins. All this rubbish about the mercury traces, seriously, how paranoid do you need to be?!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

DrIndy wrote: »
    IT IS THE REGULAR FLU VACCINE!

...and seeing as I've not bothered with the previous ones for the last couple of years there is no particular reason for me to change my mind this time round.

Just out of interest though, from what you were saying you seemed to be suggesting that the flu jab each year was ... erm, can't think of the word ... backwards compatible(?). So each previous guess of one years version of flu is added to the jab for the next year, so the 2009 version also has the 2008 version and 2007 versions etc, in it as well.

If so then it sounds like you may actually better off getting it each year so that you only have one new strain to learn each time round, rather than getting it once it's got X number of variations of the antibodies for you to learn to deal with. Or have I got the wrong end of that stick and it is only actually one version in the vaccine each year that they think is going to be the prevalent strain that winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Getting mine next week as I'm in the second mass batch (healthcare staff). The boyf got it today, so far just feeling a little off and sore at injection site too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 kerchow

I totally agree with Biomed32. I think it has been over hyped by the media, something new to report. The normal flu kills loads every year. Am having a discussion with some family about getting this jab, I really don't see the point in getting this flu jab as I don't get the other jab any other year. I have bad asthma and work in education but really do not feel the need but they see the reports on TV and think something bad will happen. If the TV and paers etc were to report on the deaths from the 'normal' flu they would fill many news bulletins. My own opinion and am not saying people should not get it. If it gives you peace of mind I am all for that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I wonder should I get it?

I have asthma but someone said that people who are allergic to raw eggs cant get it. I'm allergic to raw eggs :p

Should I get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Jako8 wrote: »

I have asthma but someone said that people who are allergic to raw eggs cant get it. I'm allergic to raw eggs :p

Should I get it?

ask your doctor rather than randomers off teh internet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

biomed32 wrote: »
    ......the same people at risk or in the at risk group were always in the at risk group. many people each year in this group die from the flu each year ......
    kerchow wrote: »
    ...... The normal flu kills loads every year. ......If the TV and paers etc were to report on the deaths from the 'normal' flu they would fill many news bulletins.....

I think that these are good reasons for the 'at-risk' groups to get the jab, considering that there is this risk from the flu, and much less risk from the jab itself. Also, the vaccine and its administration are free for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Jako8 wrote: »

Should I get it?
    There is a version available for those who are allergic to eggs. I close relative of mine who is astmatic and also has a very severe egg allergy had not problems whatsoever with the egg free version of the vaccine...in the end of the day you should seek medical advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

You'd need to find out (off the doctor or off GSK's information on it) whether the vaccine is suitable for those with egg allergies. I don't know what the story is with the H1N1 vaccine. Hopefully there is an albumen-protein-free vaccine for you like the type CathyMorgan reffered to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I got the jab because I'm asthmatic and frequently run into difficulties when I catch the humble cold. So far so good - no pain/sore arm/sickness.

The arm will get sore after about 24-36 hours and last another 24-36 hours (just try not to lie on it in bed), mine has gone over about 6/8 hours today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I got it on Thursday morning. Arm is still very sore. It's like a huge patch of redness and it's swollen. My brother got it too and he was grand after it. Ah I reckon it will be fine by tomorrow. Hopefully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Wyyldfairy

Hi all- im a 22 year old who works with young kids ina school all day at the moment . (im in college still). Im also a very severe asthmatic and have already been in hospital twice this year with asthma etc. My GP does NOT want me to get the swine flu jab at all because my immune system is so low and its a rather important year for me college wise. My respiratory conusltant tells me i HAVE to get it. any thoughts or ideas or advice on what i should do??

• Advertisement

Do as your doctor advises. We're not qualified to say otherwise.

Wyyldfairy wrote: »
    Hi all- im a 22 year old who works with young kids ina school all day at the moment . (im in college still). Im also a very severe asthmatic and have already been in hospital twice this year with asthma etc. My GP does NOT want me to get the swine flu jab at all because my immune system is so low and its a rather important year for me college wise. My respiratory conusltant tells me i HAVE to get it. any thoughts or ideas or advice on what i should do??

ask your GP and consultant to discuss teh issue between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Wyyldfairy wrote: »
    Hi all- im a 22 year old who works with young kids in a school all day at the moment . (im in college still). Im also a very severe asthmatic and have already been in hospital twice this year with asthma etc. My GP does NOT want me to get the swine flu jab at all because my immune system is so low and its a rather important year for me college wise. My respiratory consultant tells me i HAVE to get it. any thoughts or ideas or advice on what i should do??
    Do as your doctor advises. We're not qualified to say otherwise.

Hmm..that's hardly helpful, considering that the two doctors are giving conflicting advice. What to do if two doctors give conflicting advice? Get a third opinion, or ask the doctors to get their heads together? Or ask yourself which one do you have the most reason to trust?

According to the HSE website, you are in the at-risk group if you have asthma, or immunosuppression (whether caused by disease or treatment). In your situation I would be asking the GP to clarify why a low immune system is a reason not to get the vaccine in your case.

That doesn't change what I said - you can't just dip into a message board to get a second opinion on a potentially very significant matter. It could be the wrong and fatal opinion, as no one here as a clue about the history of someone on the net.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

That doesn't change what I said - you can't just dip into a message board to get a second opinion on a potentially very significant matter. It could be the wrong and fatal opinion, as no one here as a clue about the history of someone on the net.

But you can dip into a message board to try and figure out how to get a useful answer from the pair of conflicting medical professionals opinions.

As LionelNashe said, ask them their reasons for saying either yes or no to it and tell them what the other guy said. See if one changes their mind.

Hmm..that's hardly helpful, considering that the two doctors are giving conflicting advice. What to do if two doctors give conflicting advice?

randomers off the internet giving advice based on the little information posted by the OP and a lack of medical training is much less helpful, (and indeed is potentially dangerous) than mike65's suggestion.

ask teh gp and consultant to discuss your case together. it would only require a phonecall.

sam34 wrote: »
    randomers off the internet giving advice based on the little information posted by the OP and a lack of medical training is much less helpful, (and indeed is potentially dangerous) than mike65's suggestion.

ask teh gp and consultant to discuss your case together. it would only require a phonecall.

Mike65's suggestion seemed to be backing up one medical professionals opinion over another's though from how I read that comment. LionelNashe was just saying to get the pair of them to explain themselves better and their reasons.

If you don't understand what any medical professional is telling you then ask them again to explain it better.

That wasn't intended (truth is I missed the reference to the specailist, thanks God I'm not a doctor eh?), and my point about getting a third POV from the likes of us still stands. I'd go back to the Doc and if he/she remains adamant, tries to get Doctor and Consultant to talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

I got it on Friday (Diabetic T1), remarkably painless compared to other shots I've gotten in the arm. No side effects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I agree with robinph. Simply saying talk to your doctor when someone has clearly done so, is unhelpful. I'm not sure why Sam34 took issue with that comment, as I don't recall LionelRichie giving out anything remotely like medical advice.

How in all honesty could someone looking to see what to do with two doctors giving confilicting opinions, be treated as looking for treatment advice?? A bit of common sense would go a long way.

OT: I'm getting the vacconation tomorrow. Hopefully it won't make me feel ill when I'm abroad...

Advertisement