Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

purchasing a car from a ltd company

Options
  • 26-10-2009 10:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4

Hi, I have a problem that someone might be able to help me with. I am interested in purchasing a car which the vehicle registration certificate has the company name on it. The private person selling the car says he is part owner of the company. He says he would want a bank draft in his own personal name. Is this legal? Would there be any implications on me once I have purchased the car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I would be wary. If you're buying the car from the company, then the cheque should be made out to the company.

Seems odd to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 lbrenn11

dudara wrote: »
    I would be wary. If you're buying the car from the company, then the cheque should be made out to the company.

Seems odd to me.

I was thinking it doesn't sound right. Don't know what to do because I really love the car

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Contact the company that it is registered to and then the vehicle registration crowd and check its details.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Payment must be made out to the name on the car's certificate otherwise you have no proof whatsoever of purchasing the car.

In a worst case scenario, the company could claim that the car was fraudently sold and the gardai would simply take the car from you - you would have no recouse whatsoever execpt trying to claim the payment back from the person who sold it to you.

Also, if the company went into liquidation, the liquidator would claim the car from you.

The only way around it would be for the seller to put the car into his name and then sell it to you. - He then takes the risk.

Finally, there may be finance outstanding on the car - check it with cartel www.cartel.ie

Advertisement