Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragon Age: Origins Question

Options
  • 26-10-2009 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

By the looks of DA:O it looks like a must-buy release. But I'm having difficulty deciding what platform to get this on.

My situation is this, I have both consoles, with the Xbox being my preferred console. But my younger brother has a deep obsession with Modern Warfare which will be transferred over to MW2. Now with MW2 coming out shortly after Dragon Age, I'll not be able to get anywhere near the Xbox. And by the looks of this I'm gonna need a couple of hundred hours.

So I'm wondering is there any advantages to getting this on Xbox over PS3? (Mass Effect 2 related).

Thanks for any replies... :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Slap your bro around the head and let him know who the daddy is. Problem solved.

This will more then likely play better on Xbox 360 as its probably the lead console. If i had both and preferred my 360, i'd buy it for the 360.

Before any PS3 fanboy quotes my post, I have a PS3 and only play on a PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Liathroidi Dana

Slap your bro around the head and let him know who the daddy is. Problem solved.

OK just slapped him over the head... got a puk in the jaw in return... Plan B?

No I dont mind getting it on PS3 so much, its just that I'm wondering is there any disadvantages? ie. Exclusive DLC, Better Graphics.

Thanks for the reply, made me laugh.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Why does'nt he get MW2 for the ps3 and you can get dragon origins for the xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Niska

DA:O is out on the 6th Nov on PC and 360, while the PS3 European release date is still the 20th, so that may affect your decision.

Slight side note, the PS3 release date has been moved forward to the 3rd in the US.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6237823.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;5

Niska wrote: »
    DA:O is out on the 6th Nov on PC and 360, while the PS3 European release date is still the 20th, so that may affect your decision.

Slight side note, the PS3 release date has been moved forward to the 3rd in the US.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6237823.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;5

Thanks for clearing that up.

I went and checked release date on Amazon for DA:O and was wondering why the OP was saying its around MW2 release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Liathroidi Dana

Why does'nt he get MW2 for the ps3 and you can get dragon origins for the xbox.

Because hes in various clans and plays with a group of people, so he'll only buy it for the xbox, and I need ta make sure he buys it. (Free Hardened edition FTW)

Thing that annoys me is that I bought the freaking xbox but some how it turned into everybody's Xbox...

One of the reasons I got the PS3 is so that I know that thats mine no matter what... ie. Sibling not allowed on it.

I thought both Europe and US PS3 release dates were but forward... Damn... now I have a very hard choice.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Definite day 1 purchase for me. PC version for me though, as its a more tactical game on the pc compared to consoles apparently. Will probably have to upgrade my pc, though thats been a long time coming.

I just hope that it can live up to its name. Being the spiritual successor of Baldur's Gate was never going to be easy, but if they can do it, i'll love them forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Hody

Does anybody know where I can buy the Collector´s Edition of Dragon Age: Origins off the shelf in Dublin or somewhere else in the ROI?! I asked at Gamestop but they only do the normal one... :confused: :eek:

Please help, thank you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Niska

Hody wrote: »
    Does anybody know where I can buy the Collector´s Edition of Dragon Age: Origins off the shelf in Dublin or somewhere else in the ROI?! I asked at Gamestop but they only do the normal one... :confused: :eek:

Please help, thank you ;)

GAME have the Collector's Edition. Not too sure what's in it, though...

Also, for those getting it on the PC, the Character Creator was released a week ago:

http://blog.bioware.com/2009/10/13/character-creator-and-the-bioware-social-network/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Kiith wrote: »
    Definite day 1 purchase for me. PC version for me though, as its a more tactical game on the pc compared to consoles apparently.

How do you mean?

• Advertisement

From what i remember, the pc version is more like Baldur's Gate, with pausing and allowing you to plan your moves while its paused, whereas the console version doesnt allow you to pause it and is more action based.

Thats iirc.

So, PC Gamer UK gave Dragon Age 94%, and called it the RPG of the decade? **** Ya!! Only 5 days to go people.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

Cannot wait,

The modding community is another reason to get the PC version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

ive played it on the 360 and it was super fun, but i honestly think that if youve got a capable pc youll be better getting it for that

Kiith wrote: »
    So, PC Gamer UK gave Dragon Age 94%, and called it the RPG of the decade? **** Ya!! Only 5 days to go people.

not for PS3 though :(

I think it's 20th November for us

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

PC Zone gave it 94% and said the only real problems were the lack of multi-player and also that the difficulty was all over the place. It's a great review as well and pretty funny. The game is sounding a lot better and a hell of a lot darker than I first thought, but also very darkly comic. The review starts with a couple of funny paragraphs, but it gives you a gist of how in-dept the characters are:
    PC Zone wrote:
    Something strange is happening to me, and I hope you don't feel it rude if I share a little. I've developed a total boy-crush on a friend called Alistair. I haven't told him, as dialogue hasn't opened that up as an option, but he's probably worked it out as I take him everywhere I go. I equip him with all the best weaponry, I make sure he's satisfactorily buffed at all times... hell, I just like being around him.

Say me and my gang are wandering through the Blight-ravaged wilderness and Alistair is cracking a joke with my other pals - good-girl paladin-type Leliana, and vampish side-boob witch Morrigan - even though we're in the middle of nowhere I just turn around to watch him. I often don't equip him with a helmet just so I can see his face. Oh Alistair, be mine forever. When this business with the darkspawn is over, why don't we buy a cottage in the Ferelden countryside and hang out all the time?

My only worry about it is the Pay to Play features of it, where you have to pay to download some new quests. I suppose DLC is always going to be a blight on gaming, but I just hope they haven't done the usual thing of making half a game and making you pay for the rest of it.

Yes PC is the way to go, if you subscribe to the Bioware Social Network then your characters progress will be broadcasted there. The game for example will take screenshots of your boss fights and post them up automatically. You also can unlock a ring in the game by subscribing there and 3 other items by accomplishing some tasks in the www.dragonagejourneys.com browsergame...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

As someone whos never played baldurs gate or any game similiar to it would ye recommend I get this?Im afraid it may be a bit to difficult for me even on easy,but would love to try it all the same.

As someone whos never played baldurs gate or any game similiar to it would ye recommend I get this?Im afraid it may be a bit to difficult for me even on easy,but would love to try it all the same.

Dont worry it defo wont. All the Bioware titles have a superb tutorial that will let you get familiar with the game dynamics plus the Bioware manuals are always very good. You can also adjust the difficulty level throughout the game. Bioware games are class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Oh, if you dont want to pay €50 (or €55 for the deluxe) on steam/EA downloader, direct2drive.co.uk have it for £30/£40, which works out to be €34 (€44 for deluxe).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Dramatic Exit

DDE all preloaded and set to go here. Shame we have to wait 'til Friday for the unlock. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Difference between deluxe and standard is wallpapers+soundtrack (...) and a set of content. But its 11 euros, I'd imagine thats what the dlc might end up costing, think I'll just go with standard and pick up dlc later if Im still into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Dramatic Exit

Aye, though only 5 euro difference on Steam, which is pretty expensive for both (50 for normal, 55 for DDE).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Woohoo, I got a conformation email that my CE copy has been posted. Unfortunately, it's coming from the UK, so I probably won't have it for months, due to the postal strike. :(

Gonna get it from either Steam or Direct 2 Drive tonight. I dont mind paying the extra few euro's with Steam, since i can preload it and have it ready to be played straight away on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

humanji wrote: »
    Woohoo, I got a conformation email that my CE copy has been posted. Unfortunately, it's coming from the UK, so I probably won't have it for months, due to the postal strike. :(

Where did you order from??? I am looking for the CE too??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Anyone have any idea what the pc min specs are?

CPU: Intel Core 2 (or equivalent) running at 1.4Ghz or greater
    AMD X2 (or equivalent) running at 1.8Ghz or greater
    RAM: 1GB or more
    Video: ATI Radeon X850 128MB or greater
    NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT 128MB or greater
    DVD ROM (Physical copy)
    20 GB HD space

Windows Vista Minimum Specifications
    CPU: Intel Core 2 (or equivalent) running at 1.6Ghz or greater
    AMD X2 (or equivalent) running at 2.2GHZ or greater
    RAM: 1.5 GB or more
    Video: ATI Radeon X1550 256MB or greater
    NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB or greater
    DVD ROM (Physical copy)
    20 GB HD space

and recommended

Recommended Specifications
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz Processor or equivalent
    RAM: 4 GB (Vista) or 2 GB (XP)
    Video: ATI 3850 512 MB or greater
    NVIDIA 8800GTS 512 MB or greater
    DVD ROM (Physical copy)
    20 GB HD space

When I saw thats it requires 20 gigs on the harddrive I nearly had a heart attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Hmm sort of between min and recommended... Think i may just get it for the PS3 :/

• Advertisement

20 gigs on PC!?! i wonder how big the install is on consoles.

Advertisement