Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragon Age: Origins Question

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Got it in gamestop for 39.99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭kaiser soza

Was that the PC version or the Xbox 360 version for €39.99.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

I'd rather give my business to Game over Gamestop tbh. They are both the same price but at least Game supports PC gaming. Gamestop seems to have stopped stocking PC games to any large extent, where as Game still stock many PC games including all the classics.

That and Gamestop also insist on taking PC games out of the wrapping which is REALLY annoying. I recently bought 'Crysis: Maximum Edition' there which had been taking out of the wrapping. Unfortunately the CD key had been in the box (which I hadn't realised) and someone had been using MY cd key to register an online account i.e I couldn't play online unless on a cracked server because my cd key was already registered to another ****. The morale of the story: don't buy games from Gamestop especially PC games.

The PC version is €39.99, not sure about the Xbox 360 version but it's definitely more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I was looking for the PC version and hit two Games and one Gameshop in town...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

pc,xbox ps3 are 49 I think or else 59.

• Advertisement

ionapaul wrote: »
    I was looking for the PC version and hit two Games and one Gameshop in town...

Sad to hear you couldn't get it but I'm glad to hear that this game is selling well and not the usual pirate job, it deserves the sales it gets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Played for about an hour and have already have two crashes\lockups. Seems to happen when it's loading a new scenario. Another shot in the arm for pc gaming.
    Hopefully won't be a repeat of fallout from last year.

Other than that, the game seems good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

I was browsing through Steam and only came across this now. 92 average on metacritic with loads of sites singing its praises!

I absolutely loved Mass Effect, also from Bioware, mainly for its excellent story. Should I get this? Thing is I don't like too much micromanagement...

And how are the graphics, akin to Mass Effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

That and Gamestop also insist on taking PC games out of the wrapping which is REALLY annoying. I recently bought 'Crysis: Maximum Edition' there which had been taking out of the wrapping. Unfortunately the CD key had been in the box (which I hadn't realised) and someone had been using MY cd key to register an online account i.e I couldn't play online unless on a cracked server because my cd key was already registered to another ****. The morale of the story: don't buy games from Gamestop especially PC games.

You should have asked/demanded a wrapped copy considering piracy issues in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Bought it from direct2drive and currently downloading it.

Judging from the reviews, it seems the console versions are poor ports of the PC game. I haven't played it yet, but from the videos I have seen there is a good deal of party tactics and the menus don't seem to be different between PC and console, which I can only guess means that a mouse and keyboard are REALLY necessary for the frantic combat.

Eurogamer also shot down the 360 version for it's bland textures, with both PS3 and 360 being quite buggy.

Pretty surprising from bioware, maybe they thought that the more hardcore elements of Baldur's gate wouldn't appeal to the RPG-lite console fans (Fallout 3, hugely successful xbox title and very much a stripped down RPG). Otherwise, I can't understand how they would let the 2 console versions be released in their current state.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

DONT READ THE SPOILER IF YOU HAVENT COMPLETED THE FADE QUEST

I was really really enjoying this game (playing on xbox)

but i've just been glitched out of six or more hours of play time because I can't
    smash the ****ing metal doors in the fade in golem form. it just says 'cannot pick this lock' and punching it does nothing. cant complete the ****ing quest and get out of the fade without that. and now I dont know if I can even load a previous save, or should I start again and lose 18 hours of play time.

very, very

very annoyed

--edit

turns out my last save before I began that particular quest was 8 ****ing hours of playtime ago..

eight
    ****ing
    hours

that's pretty much the entire saturday. nearly half my weekend wasted. As far as staying in all day playing an rpg can be considered a good use of time it doesn't ****ing matter now because I have to completely ignore it all and go back eight ****ing hours.

I could have studied for my law exam next week. I could have had a marathon **** session. I could have done any number of things that would not have required me to completely ignore everything I spent the day doing because of a ****ing bug.

I am very upset

Played for about an hour and have already have two crashes\lockups. Seems to happen when it's loading a new scenario. Another shot in the arm for pc gaming.
    Hopefully won't be a repeat of fallout from last year.

Other than that, the game seems good.

The game runs excellently for me, have you tried downloading the patch?
    d22ontour wrote: »
    You should have asked/demanded a wrapped copy considering piracy issues in the first place.

I should have but unfortunately I didn't. Do Gamestop even keep spare wrapped coppies? I thought they unwrapped them all for storage purposes?

The copy I got today was wrapped,first time I've ever gotten a wrapped copy off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

DONT READ THE SPOILER IF YOU HAVENT COMPLETED THE FADE QUEST

I was really really enjoying this game (playing on xbox)

but i've just been glitched out of six or more hours of play time because I can't
    smash the ****ing metal doors in the fade in golem form. it just says 'cannot pick this lock' and punching it does nothing. cant complete the ****ing quest and get out of the fade without that. and now I dont know if I can even load a previous save, or should I start again and lose 18 hours of play time.

very, very

very annoyed

--edit

turns out my last save before I began that particular quest was 8 ****ing hours of playtime ago..

eight
    ****ing
    hours

that's pretty much the entire saturday. nearly half my weekend wasted. As far as staying in all day playing an rpg can be considered a good use of time it doesn't ****ing matter now because I have to completely ignore it all and go back eight ****ing hours.

I could have studied for my law exam next week. I could have had a marathon **** session. I could have done any number of things that would not have required me to completely ignore everything I spent the day doing because of a ****ing bug.

I am very upset

Erm, mine autosaves before every important event or hard fight.

2 hrs 40 mins more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Elessar wrote: »
    I was browsing through Steam and only came across this now. 92 average on metacritic with loads of sites singing its praises!

Why do people insist on throwing their money at places like Steam and D2D which are massively overcharging when there are alternatives (legal!) elsewhere :confused:

I said it earlier in this thread but seems it went un-noticed, g2play.net are selling Dragon Age Origins deluxe version now for €28.50 and the normal version for €24 - The deluxe version on Steam is €55 !
    You get the code from them which allows you to download the game directly and legitimately from EA using the EA Download Manager.
    You also get a second code from them (if you buy the deluxe version) which you can use once logged into the game to download the additional content.

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Why do people insist on throwing their money at places like Steam and D2D which are massively overcharging when there are alternatives (legal!) elsewhere :confused:

I said it earlier in this thread but seems it went un-noticed, g2play.net are selling Dragon Age Origins deluxe version now for €28.50 and the normal version for €24 - The deluxe version on Steam is €55 !
    You get the code from them which allows you to download the game directly and legitimately from EA using the EA Download Manager.
    You also get a second code from them (if you buy the deluxe version) which you can use once logged into the game to download the additional content.

Where were you 5 hours ago? I bought it from D2D, it was only 33 euro which isn't extortionate and compares well with play, sendit and the shops. Steam are a joke, not only are they expensive, the service is a major PITA. I went to install FM 2010 on the study PC today and decided to use the "install through Steam" option. I had to abandon half way as they steam servers "could not be contacted" so I just installed it from the DVD.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Where were you 5 hours ago? I bought it from D2D, it was only 33 euro which isn't extortionate and compares well with play, sendit and the shops. Steam are a joke, not only are they expensive, the service is a major PITA. I went to install FM 2010 on the study PC today and decided to use the "install through Steam" option. I had to abandon half way as they steam servers "could not be contacted" so I just installed it from the DVD.

I did make an earlier post about g2play in this thread :p

€33 isn't bad though really but D2D are usually as expensive as Steam.

Never really had problems with Steam myself like you've explained, I find them pretty good tbh, it's just their prices charged for games are terrible.
    Most of my games list in Steam were bought from g2play or those really good weekend deals of non crap games Steam sometimes do. My Steam backups though are huge, last months ran to 78Gb and I've added about 5 rather large games since then.

I think most recently I saw that FM 2010 on Steam USA could be pre-ordered for something ridiculous like 15 euro, whereas Steam Europe was selling it for 40-50 euro. Madness!

I should really read back through threads completely, although 33 euro for about 40+ hours of gameplay, I've made worse purchases (MOO3).

Yeah, I wanted FM2010 myself but not prepared to pay €50 for it.
    G2play have it for €20 but there's no digital delivery method available so you need to source the game usually through more nefarious means, which does kind of defeat the purpose of buying a game digitally and legit.

Dragon Age though is a good buy, very deep and engrossing game it is too. Got a Mage to lvl 8 last night and rolled a Rogue instead tonight to try that out, nice surprise to see the whole story and everything changed when I started again with a new class.

Only reason I rolled a Rogue again was because I sold the special Armour set from my Mage that you get with the deluxe version, thinking I'd never use heavy armour anyway. I then figured out the whole party thing and realised I'd been roaming around with a decent Warrior with high enough Strength in my party for a while who could've worn it :/

Not that I'll wear it on my Rogue either probably but at least this time I'll keep it for one of the Warrior in my party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

Wow, wish I'd seen that G2play.net link earlier, only €24 for the standard and €28.50 for the deluxe PC versions. Hopefully my copy will arrive tomorrow.

If anyone else is waiting like me, Dragon age Journeys have made the unlocks easier to get. If you're looking for a few extra starter items it'll kill a couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Played this on a friends rig. The game looks like ass. I felt like I was playing a PS2 game. The characters, motions and surroundings just don't look convincing. Using last gen graphics really ruins the credibility of the game. Got sick of it after 30 mins. I just cant take it seriously. Glad I didn't buy. WTF Bioware?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

Played this on a friends rig. The game looks like ass. I felt like I was playing a PS2 game. The characters, motions and surroundings just don't look convincing. Using last gen graphics really ruins the credibility of the game. Got sick of it after 30 mins. I just cant take it seriously. Glad I didn't buy. WTF Bioware?

Its not all about graphics mate! The game play is great, story is awesome, Enough there to keep you at it for hours at a time.

I signed up for the bioware social network,Im just wondering do you have to take the pic yourself and upload them or are they done automatically?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I signed up for the bioware social network,Im just wondering do you have to take the pic yourself and upload them or are they done automatically?

Doesn't seem to be automatic from my own quick look. The options are marked on, but nothing went up.

Any idea Where the pics are saved so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

What was the rig and what were the settings? It's not the best looking game compared to, say Uncharted, but on a high spec PC with graphics at max it's still damn pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Started playing yesterday as a DW city elf warrior and put a few hours into it. So far so good. I feel that there is a lot more I should be doing in the combat other then taking my main character and using my specials until they die..

I am reasonably famliar with the gambit system from FF but have yet to put any time into setting up the tactics in this we'll see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Why do people insist on throwing their money at places like Steam and D2D which are massively overcharging when there are alternatives 'legal' elsewhere :confused:

I fixed your post. G2play's legal service is a grey area at best. It's still unclear where they get the keys from. They claim it's from cheaper regions but there have already been a few cases were their 'suppliers' gave them stolen keys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

There's an option to upload your character somewhere in the game. I can't remember exactly where it is, but it's in one of the menus, I think. It uploads you achievements and a picture of your character. There's also a way where it uploads the screenshots it automatically takes, but I've no idea where they go on your bioware profile.

Advertisement