Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragon Age: Origins Question

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

So is there auto leveling of mobs in this like there was in oblivian? I uninstalled oblivian after 2 hours once I discovered the BS auto levelling. I mean why even have the concept of levels in the first place if every mob remains the same level relatively to the main character as he progresses? Absolute joke imo.

Because it would be dull otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

The mob auto levelling is handled a million times better than Oblivion's "every p1ss-ant bandit now suddenly has ultra rare obsidian armour and glass daggers or whatever"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

So is there auto leveling of mobs in this like there was in oblivian? I uninstalled oblivian after 2 hours once I discovered the BS auto levelling. I mean why even have the concept of levels in the first place if every mob remains the same level relatively to the main character as he progresses? Absolute joke imo.
    The biggest problem with Oblivion was more that the difficulty of areas really didn't vary much if at all, one cavern/dungeon/oblivion gate was the same difficulty as the next. This combined with the auto level scaling meant that once you learnt their tactics, you just breezed through absolutely everything.

With DA:O, the mobs do auto-level with you, but the areas themselves vary in difficulty and that difficulty is maintained with the scaling. There also seems to be minimum/maximum caps to the mobs in an area, i.e. the mobs would scale between say levels 9-14 only. If you are lower than 9 it'll be tough, higher than 14 it'll be easy and inbetween it'll be about right. It means that they can make it more non-linear as there'll be a bunch of areas which you can visit for certain level ranges and you can choose which order to do them in, without completely overlevelling any of them. There are also 'boss' type mobs who are at a set difficulty that will completely destroy you at the start, yet you'll be able to beat them later on.

All in all, it actually works fairly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

game arrived yesterday for me.

I'm about seven hours in as a warrior with 2H weopen. The game is great really good story and voice acting. I love the combat it looks great and very violent.

Game of the year for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭bSlick

Got the game and dont like it. Just seems like one big cutscene so far. Most of my time is spent listening to some character talk about something and then clicking a reply. Is that all there is to this game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

bSlick wrote: »
    Is that all there is to this game?

No but as it's a RPG game with a lovingly built history and lore then the story and cutscenes do play a big part.

It's not going to be to everybodies taste but personally i love the quieter moments during the cutscenes and have spent ages reading all the codex entries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭bSlick

I think I'm done with this game. Cant understand the high reviews. 95% of the time is spent in cutscenes listening so some random characters blab about some crap. If I wanted entertainment without interaction I'd watch tv or read a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Have you played other games that are heavy on story? I've found this game is better for this aspect then Mass Effect. In Dragon age my combat/story seems about 50/50 with more combat at times (when I'm stuck).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I think I'm done with this game. Cant understand the high reviews. 95% of the time is spent in cutscenes listening so some random characters blab about some crap. If I wanted entertainment without interaction I'd watch tv or read a book.
    It just sounds like you have a hatred for RPG's. So it should be no surprise that you dont like a 60-hour RPG...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Have you ever played any other Bioware RPG? :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i'd like to know where the hell they got 60h from, I finished it in 49h49m36s (if i'd know this i would have waited an extra 13 seconds to finish it) and I did just about every quest, i think Ihad one in most locations that I didn't do.. but even those I had mostly done just wasn't bothered finishing.. no way they would have taken ten hours

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Didnt they say a possible 120 hours with all the side quests? What % are you through the game? You can see in your Heroic Achievements tab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

Yeah... stick to the Call of Duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

i'd like to know where the hell they got 60h from, I finished it in 49h49m36s (if i'd know this i would have waited an extra 13 seconds to finish it) and I did just about every quest, i think Ihad one in most locations that I didn't do.. but even those I had mostly done just wasn't bothered finishing.. no way they would have taken ten hours

Took me 46:45:13 ;)

Had a few of the mages quests left, and the a few for the 'well connected barman' in the Gnashers, but otherwise all of them that I could see. Also spent a lot of my time in camp (had 2 of the part at +100, 2 others 75+ and the rest over 50) speaking with the locals. Running through the game you could probably do it in under 30 hours no bother (true speed running, probably under 5 or 10)

Can't say I feel cheated though, best RPG since Baldurs Gate 2! Loved every second of it, great characters, the voice acting was spot on (even if the models looked a bit stiff at times, but with the amount of dialogue, perfectly excusible), and the story progressed into a suitably epic climax.

Also wasn't as shiney and lovely as most modern RPGs, some really grim things in here, especially liked
    a touch of matricide going to kill Flemeth
    for Morrigan, her entire back story was great, and how it unfolds slowly as the story progresses, great stuff. Also the entire quest with the Dalish Elves was great, very grim altogether.
    I think you looking for action adventure, even if alot of them these days do have the RPG tag on them, their very different :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

my amount complete is only 50%.. what the ****?

did I miss half this game?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Haha. I just got "Witch Gone Wild" last night.

Im a dwarf.
    I have suspicions that you can do the same with the Elf. The main reason I dont try to keep him happy.

The background banter between characters in this game is brilliant.
    I have just had the elf accusing Oghren of drinking his own piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

my amount complete is only 50%.. what the ****?

did I miss half this game?
    There is different content depending on what side you chose at various points. It's probably not even possible to have 100% completion until you have multiple playthroughs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Patch 1.01b is out with some curious changes.

Changelist:
    http://forum.dlh.net/thread.php?threadid=33990

Download:
    http://www.patches-scrolls.de/dragon_age_origins.php

Notably:

slightly increased attack, defense, and damage scores for all party members at Normal difficulty

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Easy mode doesnt need to be easier. Its perfect the way it is.

Normal however can be tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

Spear wrote: »
    slightly increased attack, defense, and damage scores for all party members at Normal difficulty

That was already in the previous patch (at least it was 3 days ago).

# fixed an issue with Dragon Age and Windows Game Explorer
    # updated Visual C runtime libraries

are the new bits.

Normal can be difficult at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Sarn wrote: »
    Normal can be difficult at times.

Especially the bandits in denerims back alleys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

sink wrote: »
    Especially the bandits in denerims back alleys.

Dirrrrtty!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Any word on these patches coming to consoles too?

Making normal a bit easier would be nice, even though only a few bosses have given me trouble so far...buts its getting tougher now 30hrs in...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Trying to get into this game but the start of it is unberably boring with far too much dialouge. Only got out of the castle and I already never want to go back to it. Is there any point of me playing on?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Trying to get into this game but the start of it is unberably boring with far too much dialouge. Only got out of the castle and I already never want to go back to it. Is there any point of me playing on?

It's an RPG by Bioware. Thats what it's all about. A rich story with deep background and so on. You may not like the rest of it either if you found the beginning boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

mewso wrote: »
    It's an RPG by Bioware. Thats what it's all about. A rich story with deep background and so on. You may not like the rest of it either if you found the beginning boring.

I am a big Bioware fan and have no problem with RPG's but the starting just felt unnecessary long with dialogue that doesn't need to be in there at a part of the game that is meant to be captivating the player. Played a bit more and it didn't annoy me as much this time. Going to give it more of a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Forgive me for not reading through the thread - I was worried about spoilers.

Just a quick one, is there any where to stash items ??? As I have some things I am a long way off being able to use.

Or if someone could tell me what from the inventory is usefull and what can be sold like the gems etc? Are they used for anything or just for flogging?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

calex71 wrote: »
    Forgive me for not reading through the thread - I was worried about spoilers.

Just a quick one, is there any where to stash items ??? As I have some things I am a long way off being able to use.

Or if someone could tell me what from the inventory is usefull and what can be sold like the gems etc? Are they used for anything or just for flogging?

Cheers

Jaysus, thought this was the fallout 3 thread! Woops :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

There is a chest available for your camp.

Storage chest

I installed it into my game the other day, no problems so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 JBUCD

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    I was on the same boat. But in about 10 hours on it so far. Got slightly better but still not a fan. Bring on Mass Effect2!

Advertisement