Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oblivion - Help!

• 27-10-2009 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

I'm just getting into Oblivion now, I think 3 years after it's release? Better late than never! :pac: Anyhoo, I have the questions!

1. How quickly do you level up? I've been playing for 30 hours and i'm only on level 5 - is this about right? I'm (an extremely handsome and hunky) Nord, birthsign thief and class is rogue.

2. What's the easiest way to make money? I tried gambling in the arena, but when I lost about 1500 gold, I gave up! :D Whoever I bet on went out without a weapon or a shield or anything and decided to try and punch the head off the other lad, who was wielding a nice sharp sword, a shield and a helmet and quickly sliced my lad up!:( I would also like to add that this has seriously damaged any hope of Paddy Power ever getting a visit off me!

3. I've been doing the mage quests, but my spell casting is pretty crap. How do I improve this? I started out with the intention of slicing people up, but it's a bit difficult when they're flingin fireballs at you, so I want to learn the magic!

4. Has anyone any tips on combat/fighting? I usually just hold the shield up and when they recoil, I lash them out of it.

5. Has anyone any tips on how to use the persuasion thing? I tried the jokes etc, but I just end up bribing the folk most of the time!

6. Finally, how do I lockpick?! I usually end up tapping the things up into the gaps and then pressing 'X'. I have to admit, though, it's sheer luck I open anything as I really don't have a clue what I'm at!!

Mods, I realise there's an Elder Scrolls forum, but I'm on the 360 and the lads over there usually give you tips on the PC versions which sometimes don't apply on the 360....plus they give out to you for playing these type of games on console :P. Anyway, I hope it's ok here!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Hey, I haven't played this in a while so I'll remember as I can.
    I'm just getting into Oblivion now, I think 3 years after it's release? Better late than never! :pac: Anyhoo, I have the cupla ceist daoibh!

1. How quickly do you level up? I've been playing for 30 hours and i'm only on level 5 - is this about right? I'm (an extremely handsome and hunky) Nord, birthsign thief and class is rogue.

Doing missions really, doing everything raises your level, .i.e. jumping around increases your athletism level.

2. What's the easiest way to make money? I tried gambling in the arena, but when I lost about 1500 gold, I gave up! :D Whoever I bet on went out without a weapon or a shield or anything and decided to try and punch the head off the other lad, who was wielding a nice sharp sword, a shield and a helmet and quickly sliced my lad up!:( I would also like to add that this has seriously damaged any hope of Paddy Power ever getting a visit off me!

This drove me mad having zero gold, so I did the gold glitch (Don't hurt me!)

3. I've been doing the mage quests, but my spell casting is pretty crap. How do I improve this? I started out with the intention of slicing people up, but it's a bit difficult when they're flingin fireballs at you, so I want to learn the magic!

This pissed me off as well, I couldn't buy alot of the spells availiable even though I am highest rank in the mages' guild. You have to keep using different spells make your levels increase. e.g. fireball spell increases your destruction level, the invincibility spell increases your illusion level. It's takes forever me to get these up as I'm more prone to bashing people withs weapons than spells.

4. Has anyone any tips on combat/fighting? I usually just hold the shield up and when they recoil, I lash them out of it.

Mix it up with spells as well can help to take enemies down quicker.

5. Has anyone any tips on how to use the persuasion thing? I tried the jokes etc, but I just end up bribing the folk most of the time!

No help here, I do the same...

6. Finally, how do I lockpick?! I usually end up tapping the things up into the gaps and then pressing 'X'. I have to admit, though, it's sheer luck I open anything as I really don't have a clue what I'm at!!

Hard to explain..You'll noticed when hitting up, the pins can fall down slowly or fly down quickly. When the pins are slow, press A and it will stay in place. Look on youtube for a tutorial on it, it makes more sense when looking at someone doing rather than me just rambling!

Mods, I realise there's an Elder Scrolls forum, but I'm on the 360 and the lads over there usually give you tips on the PC versions which sometimes don't apply on the 360....plus they give out to you for playing these type of games on console :P. Anyway, I hope it's ok here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I found the magic really hard to use in oblivion, much easier to just bash everything with a sword.

Great game though. Hope you're ready to say goodbye to about another 100 hours of your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

1) Levelling up: you do missions etc to get XP but to actually LEVEL UP you go to sleep in the game (NOT wait for an hour or whatever, but sleep in a bed. You then level up :) ) This confused me too!

2) Missions = money tbh, you should do as many side missions as possible and don't be afraid to steal a little if you ARE SURE nobody is around.

3) The more you use magic the better you get, simple as. I used a sword ALL THE TIME in it as it suited me and he got awesome. I also walked and jumped a lot and by the end could walk on water. It takes time, and don't forget you haven't levelled up!! Btw it takes a bit to start levelling up but you build momentum. Don't forget to sleep!

4) That's the combat really, maybe get a healing spell etc... Or turn the difficulty slider down (only really affects combat).

5) Persuasion: the person will LOVE one comment (joke, threat or whatever), like one, dislike one and HATE one. So what you are aiming for is to do the one the like when the circle thing is FULL to maximise your favour, and tell the one they hate when it is lowest. Does that make sense (it is trial and error with each person to find out what they like don't like, so you just try all 4 and then you can work on the order)

6) Lockpicking: DO NOT USE X. Seriously you'll break the thing. Later you can get an unbreakable one, that's yer man for X. I can't remember exactly how you do it TBH but try googling it again. It's a matter of hitting the pins up at the right strength til they click. BTW for a level 1 character anything over 'Very Easy' will be impossible for you. Give these things time by the end you will just lash them open, but you have a character that hasn't levelled up yet, and is only starting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Wucking Fanker

Nice one lads. It seems to be just a case of plugging away and it'll all get a bit easier and better! Took me a while, but am really getting into it now. Probably not as good as Fallout 3 yet, but we'll see! ;)

I've considered the gold glitch, but i might tough it out for a bit longer and see how it goes! :P I reckon this'll take me up to Christmas, so I think I might leave Modern Warfare 2 until Santa comes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

This'll WELL last you til christmas. I'm a VERY impatient game player but I clocked in 100+ hours into this bad boy and LOVED it! :)

Don't forget the slider bar for difficulty can be changed at ANY time in the game so you can extract yourself from any horrible situation if you so need to!
    I have to say I MUCH prefer the fallout world but I far prefer Oblivion as a game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Fantastic game, stick with it, it's so worth it! (you will be playing this at christmas still)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

I'm up to 200+hours going to go,back tonight after reading here

• Registered Users Posts: 42 RunningShovel

300hrs+ here, addicted much? ;) First and foremost, JOIN THE MAGES GUILD. This is one of the most important things you can do. This will give you access to high-level spells, custom spells and enchantments, and an easy money trick (See c) below)

1. To level up, raise any combination of your Major skills by 10 points. So say Block, Sneak and Blade are 3 of your major skills. If you go up 3 levels in Block, 5 in Sneak and 2 in Blade, You'll be given the opportunity to level up by sleeping, Indicated by the "Moon and Arrow" symbol to the right of your compass.

2. There are a lot of ways to make money, but some of the easiest are
    (in order of low to high level)

a) Pick every plant you see, Make as many potions as possible, sell them to a potion shop

b) Go into a cave/ruin/fort/mine. Kill all the baddies and pick up all their armor and weapons. Sell the unneeded ones to a blacksmith for easy money.

c) Later in the game, make this Spell:

Frenzy up to level 25 for 30 secs on touch.
    Rally 100 pts for 30 secs on touch

Now, go to the mages guild, and cast this on every apprentice you can find. It may help to take off your armor to increase your spell effectiveness, and to use persuasion to lower their mood (Just sit there and they will get POed because you don't say anything ;))

What the spell does is: Frenzy, quite simply, sends them into a killing frenzy, meaning they'll attack anyone nearby, regardless of faction or friendship. Since the only people nearby are master mages and city guards, they're likely to get their arses handed to them. This is where Rally comes in. This makes them confident, so they won't run away. When they get owned, (as they definitely will) nick the enchanted daggers that go for 1700 a pop at higher levels. And the best part? You can't be blamed as they went crazy and attacked someone :D

3. Creating your own custom spells is the way to go. To use a spell effect, however, you must know a spell with that effect. For example, if you want to make a spell with shock damage in it, but don't already have a spell with shock damage in it, you need to buy one, as your character doesn't know how to do shock damage. Make sense? No? It'll click, don't worry ;)

As for avoiding Fireballs, once you level up in athletics you'll learn to roll, which should come in handy. You can also get items with enchantments such as: Absorb Spell, Reflect Spell, and Resist Magic. Absorb Spell adds the Magicka/Mana required to cast the spell that hits your total, but not past the max. Reflect Spell casts the effect on the caster, and Resist Magic negates the spell completely.

4. That's basically it.:D
    Nah, Custom spells are again your friend. See the links at the bottom of this post.

5. Maybe bribery is causing your lack of money, eh? ;) The trick is to highlight each thing (Joke, Coerce etc.) and watch the persons face. They will LOVE one, like one, dislike one and HATE one.

Kajhiiti and Argonians (Cat- and Lizard- people, respectively) can be more difficult to see, but watch the ears and imagine a cat or look at their mouth to see a smile/snarl.

Now here's the complicated bit. The amount of each wedge (Coerce et al) determines the scale of the reaction. So if you do the hated one when the wedge is full, you'll lose more points than if it was nearly empty.

Try to plan ahead so you use the largest wedge for the good ones and the smallest for the bad ones. As always, there are custom spells that can circumvent persuasion.

6. Ah, lockpicking. The bane of my life. Until I found the Skeleton Key, that is (unbreakable lockpick:D)
    What you do is:

* Use the analog stick to flick the pin up a couple of times. Try to gauge how quickly it falls
    * What you want to do is tap A when it's at the top. The harder the lock, the less time you have to do this.
    * When you get one pin locked, move on to the next one and repeat.

There is a knack to this, but you'll get better with practice ;) There are also (gasp) custom spells that can help with lockpicking.

Lastly, The Elder Scrolls forums aren't great, the UESP is the way to go. They provide general tips and guides to everything in Oblivion, which is no mean feat. Some useful pages are:

Useful Spells
    Useful Enchantments
    Quests
    Daedric Quests

Enjoy your wall of text, hope at least some of it helps :D
    If not, Message me on XBL (GT:RunningShovel) or consult the UESP

~RS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Wucking Fanker

Again, thanks very much for the replies. Running Shovel, have you nothing to do in the job?! :D;) Some essay - thanks!

Oh, and it wasn't the bribing that was costing me my sheckles, it was my degenerate gambling in the arena on the fights :o. Genuinely kept thinking 'i'll definitely win the next one'. Ended up losing about 2500/3000 in total :mad::mad::D I was also so annoyed at whoever I bet on having no weapons pretty much all the time that I tried to attack and rob the bookie to take my money back!:pac: That wasn't a very good idea.

I managed to join the Mage's Guild last night, so I'm on the right track from what everyone's been saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 RunningShovel

You're Welcome;)
    Running Shovel, have you nothing to do in the job?!

Job? Hah! I'm on my mid-term break :D And I like helping people with games, especially Oblivion. I got 4 of my friends to buy it in the last month and they all love it. Spread the word! :D

~RS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Lockpicking is easy enough, watch the speed as they fall. Then determine which is the fastest one falling. It is always the one after the fastest that is your man.

Advertisement