Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to rent out a house in Galway?

Options
  • 27-10-2009 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

Just back from my mate's house. Feel awful. He has a house. Moved home after he lost his job. Wants to rent it. Can't. Has tried lots of ways. Any ideas? It's in the city and in good repair. There just seems to be WAY too many of them. Is feeling awfully down so am trying to help him. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Has he tried advertising stating that he is willing to accept social welfare rent allowances? Many landlords in the past didn't want to go down that route because of the tax implications. It may be best for hime to wait until January as a lot of students change digs after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

tough time of the year to rent.

but to be fair is he being realistic with what he is asking rent?

There are a huge amount of places on the market today with totally inflated prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭yourmano

Ah ya in fairness he's asking for 2/3s what most houses in the area are asking. I just hate to see someone down on their luck. He has spent the past month doing it up, painting and doing a deck and the garden. He's not a lazy bum, a hard-worker but it's unfair how he can't even get a few bob together through the house. He had an AWFUL experience when he accepted rent receipts before, know that might sound like he's being terribly picky, but with a house as nice as this, as reasonable as this he was hoping not to. How would one go about advertising in the hospital? It's ideal for their or the college?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I don't know about the Hospital but for the University just do up some notices and stick them up around the campus, it's worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

stick it on daft with loads of pictures and price it properly. Be flexible about how long of a lease you want. If he is desperate to rent then accept rent reciepts but dont let just anyone rent it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Even if a place isn't the best, I am much more likely to view if I think I have gotten a proper feel for what the place is like from seeing a lot of pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,935 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Noticeboards - just wander around the universty/hospital putting em on noticeboards (I've done it: many noticeboards are accessible).

If using Daft, load pictures.

Price it right - not too low (good tenants will think it's a slum and not bother) or too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

If your mate wants, I'll take some good photos of it for free to help his chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

he should keep himself up to date too on irishlandlord.com

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

1) Lots of photos
    2) Allow students
    3) Allow rent allowance
    4) Allow pets

When I was looking for a place the amount of gaffs that were advertised with few or no photos was ridiculous. And you'd go and find that the landlord lived next door or something and they'd bark at you

"No students! No smokers! No pets! No parties!"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If you're going down the road of allowing students- I'd make sure you took at very least 2 months rent as deposit from them, rather than the standard one. My sis got freeloading students from NUIG who refused to pay rent- and it was the following summer before the eviction order eventually came through from the PRTB- at which stage they had vanished in any case......

The other thing about students- is they are only ever going to be there for 9 months of the year- regardless of whether they agree to sign a 1 year contract or not. If you focus on PG/PD students- they are fulltime, and work over the summer too (if they're anyway serious about their research). They're also less likely to destroy the place (we needed to rebuild internal masonry walls on Dominic Street).

Just be careful when choosing your tenants- and despite how bad it is out there- just getting someone in- is not necessarily the best course of action.......

Advertisement