Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eve] Help a rookie

Options
  • 27-10-2009 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Right so, I'm just past my first month in shpace.

So, Here I am running lvl 2 missions for pittance in a caracal and the grind has given me plenty of time to think. The endgame for me would have to be in an interesting corp in low/null sec mixing it up a bit, but I reckon there are stepping stones to that.I figure ..

1. I need good standings to get better missions to start amassing some bank for those must have ships/skills etc. does FW provide this in its easiest form to a new player?

2. Being Caldari, from what I have read, I seem to be a bit gimped for pvp and cross training or Starting an Alt in another race are my options. Thoughts? ( I think this was covered in an older thread here)

3. I need a headset ?

4 (apparently). I should come on Boards and beg for knowledge or subscribe to one of your get rich quick/be a success newsletters/seminars

I love the idea of the game and saw how CCP want new players in low/null sec in their planning Dominion but so far I have to say funding to get out there is the handicap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

First off, 4 comes after 3.

Finding a corp to join can be easy if you know someone already in that corp if not they usually have some sort of public recruitment section on their forums.
    Skillpoint requirements is the thing that will kick you in the arse when it comes to public recruitment sections in most corps/alliances.

I have 0 knowledge about FW, sorry.

Headsets are a must for any corp/alliance you join since most will use out of game voice communications such as ventrillo or teamspeak.

What corporation are you running missions for?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

helios12 wrote: »
    1. I need good standings to get better missions to start amassing some bank for those must have ships/skills etc. does FW provide this in its easiest form to a new player?
    Not 100% sure on this, but the big problem with FW missions is that you will be sent 6+ jumps into low sec space, and will quite often have to get through a War Target/Perv gate camp or two. You'd generally be fine in a frigate, unless you run into a fast locker.
    2. Being Caldari, from what I have read, I seem to be a bit gimped for pvp and cross training or Starting an Alt in another race are my options. Thoughts? ( I think this was covered in an older thread here)
    The Drake is a fantastic ship for small gang pvp. I'm talking from a FW point of view here, but its one of the most common ships i've gone up against. The Caracal isnt bad either.
    3. I need a headset ?
    Definitely. Having voice communication makes ops much easier, and your seriously gimping yourself without it.
    3. I should come on Boards and beg for knowledge or subscribe to one of your get rich quick/be a success newsletters/seminars
    Begging is good, but only for a little while. You have to start making your own money at some stage, but it can be tough. I basically trained for a Battlecruise/Battleship as soon as possible, and started doing lvl3 missions for isk. Then i started to focus my skills on where i wanted to train them.

Also, if something in Eve seems to good to be true, it probably is.

Rule number 1 in Eve Online....don't trust anyone, at least till you get to know them. And then only slightly trust them.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

it would be worth cross training on a frigate level at least so you can fly rifter (minmatar) and punisher (amarr) if you do go pvp'ing dont take your PvE habits with you, leave your shield power relays, cruise launchers and heavy launchers at home, its torpedoes on a raven and heavy assault missiles on a drake (unless you have very good missiles skills and can pull off using t2 precision heavies)

50% of eve is caldari and most people who exclusively fly caldari are sucky at solo pvp and pvp in general because they tend to grow up (in eve) in an atmosphere of passive shield tanking, missiles and level 4 farming and think that they can take that knowledge into small gang warfare

here's something that a lot of people will tell you is bad but this is what I done and I never regretted it, train all four races frigate and cruiser to level 4, train all assosciated weapon systems to 4 and try a bit of everything, you can do the same for battleships and their assosciated weapons but it might take a month to do, but again its worth doing especially if you end up living in 0.0 and the market it scarce, being able to fly anything you can get your hands on will give you a good advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

Cheers lads,

Seems I'm getting a bit impatient and jumping the gun to get to 0.0 .

I'm a couple of weeks from a Drake so I'll keep plugging away at that for missions and then probably start cross training min/amarr.

Currently running missions for Lai Dai in the hope I can get some good research agents so I can make steady isk, thought FW would bump standings.

I wasn't begging for isk there either, see enough of that in local :rolleyes:. I'll gladly make my own cash but was just asking here so I'm not going about it in a round about way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

You really need to get into pvp small gang stuff 2 or so people its the way eve should be played imho dont allow yourself to get side tracked doing missions for age's trying to buy the next great mission ships (cnrs/golems etc) do as gneez says as well train for at the lest amarr ship's but dont allow anyone to tell you caldari are **** for pvp the merlin / blackbird / moa / ferox / drake / falcon / rokh / scorpion are all fine ships even the raven is good fun.

• Advertisement

bizmark wrote: »
    You really need to get into pvp small gang stuff 2 or so people its the way eve should be played imho dont allow yourself to get side tracked doing missions for age's trying to buy the next great mission ships (cnrs/golems etc) do as gneez says as well train for at the lest amarr ship's but dont allow anyone to tell you caldari are **** for pvp the merlin / blackbird / moa / ferox / drake / falcon / rokh / scorpion are all fine ships even the raven is good fun.

I really don't want to run missions to fund missions cos' they bore the sheet out of me. However, for now they are my bread and butter it seems. I have a couple of mates who started playing recently so when they get sorted I'll drag em' into harm's way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If your interested in joining FW and trying some PvP, let me know and i can take you out. Get some tackling skills and you can be dead handy even in a frigate. Handy thing about FW is how easy it is to get into/out of.

Kiith wrote: »
    If your interested in joining FW and trying some PvP, let me know and i can take you out. Get some tackling skills and you can be dead handy even in a frigate. Handy thing about FW is how easy it is to get into/out of.

Will do, I'll just train up some skills for a punisher and be in touch, don't fancy tackling in a kessie.

Advertisement