Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabra

Options
  • 27-10-2009 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Started a new job out in Cabra and everyone has been saying that parts of the area can be dangerous. I am looking at places to live in the surrounding areas, not Cabra itself, but was wondering how safe is the area in general? Say just walking to bus stops, train station, etc.

Thanks a mil.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Cabra is fine - I was born and raised there. i don't know who you told you about how 'DANGEROUS' Cabra is, but I would reckon someone not familiar with the area.

Of course there are areas where you need to have your wits about you - but that is the case for most places now a days.

If you are working in Cabra, then more informative, would be to ask your colleagues about the area - they are more likely to give realistic responses.

good luck with the new job!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved to Dublin City. HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Cabra is fine as far as I am concerned. I am back living there for the past two years after a bit of an absence. It appears to have settled down nicely. As a previous poster said, it is no rougher than any other part of town and a hell of a lot quieter than some.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Scrambled egg

I live in Cabra, its a grand area, not too many problems. Its actually a great area with lots of positives inc shops, transport and parks etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Used to walk home through Cabra late at night a few years ago when I lived over that way. Never a sniff of bother.

Pubs don't seem the best though, although I've never stayed long in them in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Cabra imo is an fine area however there is one problem atm around The Oasis area. For one, be very careful if you are cycling and do not lock it out of sight when going to shops, even down as far as Phibsboro. The guys at the shops are very into harassing those cycling by asking to either swap for their banger bike, throw rocks, fireworks or something at you, etc.

Was it not a case recently as well where a teenager fella pulled a sawn off to a Garda? That was about the second week of Sep.

Not trying to slant the area as I have personally never had a bother but it does happen like I said above so if that's you be aware.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

You could always try the new apartments in Rathborne or royal Canal Park, very close to Cabra. Cabra itself is no worse than any other area of Dublin really, its got its skangers, and its got its decent people, and far more of the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Lived in a flat in cabra for 2 years never had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Scrambled egg

Yeah avoid the Cabra house at all costs (better known localy as the Oasis) its a fierce place, most other pubs are grand though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Ah Great- it's a relief to hear all of that from you guys. Thanks a mil. It was actually the people in work who told me to be careful around the area in general- that was after I was asking for directions to walk home instead of getting the train. So to be honest I didn't pick up the notion out of nowhere! But I did take a walk around at lunchtime and had brief chats with some locals and it has put my mind at ease a little bit but I'm going to look in Ashtown for accom all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

pog it wrote: »
    Ah Great- it's a relief to hear all of that from you guys. Thanks a mil. It was actually the people in work who told me to be careful around the area in general- that was after I was asking for directions to walk home instead of getting the train. So to be honest I didn't pick up the notion out of nowhere! But I did take a walk around at lunchtime and had brief chats with some locals and it has put my mind at ease a little bit but I'm going to look in Ashtown for accom all the same.

Good choice sire! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 crow28

Hi im thinking of buying a house just off carnlough road near the new cabra road is that end of carnlough road a safe place .Its a great house with a big south facing garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Carnlough is fine! Know a few people living on Carnlough Road and no trouble whatsoever.

Advertisement