Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

64-Bit question

• 27-10-2009 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

Right so im looking to upgrade to WIndows 7, I have vista home premium 32 bit right now, and my specs are 4gb ram and 2.26ghz processor. But, ive been reading that to get the most out of the 4gb ram I should get 64 bit win 7 but then I read somewhere else that 32bit windows can read UP TO 4gb ram.

Can someone clear this up for me? Like do I need 64bit win7 to get the full use of the 4gb ram?

Also, can I do an upgrade from vista home premium 32bit to win7 home premium 64 bit, i.e. keep files and programs.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Only 64bit OSs can read more than 4Gb of memory. That includes all the system memory and graphics, and addressing space for interupts etc so even if you have 4Gb of RAM you will not see it all used as a 32bit Os runs out of addresses.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

So i should get win7 64bit to get the most out of my laptop then is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Is there actually any reason not to go with 64bit Win7 if your pc supports it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

ScumLord wrote: »

Some older programs will not run on the 64bit versions of windows. I'v had trouble with some games from the 1990's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

make sure your laptop supports 64bit, not all cpu's in laptops will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

tuxy wrote: »
    Some older programs will not run on the 64bit versions of windows. I'v had trouble with some games from the 1990's
    I thought the xp mode fixed those type of problems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Make sure that you bios\motherboard can read the full 4GB. I have a problem at the moment were my Motherboard is supposed to support up to 8GB but it can currently only see 3 of 4GB. So even with the 64bit version I still only see 3GB.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

tuxy wrote: »

In fairness though, lack of access to games from 10 years ago isn't going to be a widespread deal-breaker. XP Mode should sort that out, although it may vary from game to game.

Make sure that you bios\motherboard can read the full 4GB. I have a problem at the moment were my Motherboard is supposed to support up to 8GB but it can currently only see 3 of 4GB. So even with the 64bit version I still only see 3GB.

How do I do that? I went through control panel> system and maintenance> performance tools> view and print details and it says this:

System

Manufacturer Dell Inc.
    Model Studio 1737
    Total amount of system memory 4.00 GB RAM
    System type 32-bit operating system
    Number of processor cores 2
    64-bit capable Yes

Storage

Total size of hard disk(s) 466 GB
    Disk partition (C:) 7 GB Free (137 GB Total)
    Disk partition (D:) 171 GB Free (233 GB Total)
    Disk partition (E:) 86 GB Free (86 GB Total)
    Disk partition (F:) 10 GB Free (10 GB Total)

Im guessing it will work then?

Also, I have 2 separate hard drives on my laptop, can I move all my data to like the second hard drive, the D drive above, and only format the C drive to put windows 7 on it?
    Anyone know a way around not deleting all my files and programs if installing windows 7. I have 2 250gb hard drives in the laptop remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

CyberWaste wrote: »

Also, I have 2 separate hard drives on my laptop, can I move all my data to like the second hard drive, the D drive above, and only format the C drive to put windows 7 on it?
    Anyone know a way around not deleting all my files and programs if installing windows 7. I have 2 250gb hard drives in the laptop remember.

Yeah, certainly looks like your system will run the 64bit version.

No matter what you do, unless you perform an upgrade option, you will have to re-install all your programs again.

You can certainly copy out your data/files to your 2nd disk. That's what I did when I installed Windows 7 on my system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

How do I do that? I went through control panel> system and maintenance> performance tools> view and print details and it says this:

System

Manufacturer Dell Inc.
    Model Studio 1737
    Total amount of system memory 4.00 GB RAM
    System type 32-bit operating system
    Number of processor cores 2
    64-bit capable Yes

Storage

Total size of hard disk(s) 466 GB
    Disk partition (C:) 7 GB Free (137 GB Total)
    Disk partition (D:) 171 GB Free (233 GB Total)
    Disk partition (E:) 86 GB Free (86 GB Total)
    Disk partition (F:) 10 GB Free (10 GB Total)

You look ok. You can keep the files by doing an install without formatting. But it is not advised as it can make the system unstable and you'll still have to reinstall all of you apps. Better to bite the bullet, back up, format and reinstall.

With mine, as soon as I turn on the pc and look at the bios messages (press delete after turning on). I get the following:
    System memory 4000mb (3000 usable)

Basically a gig of my system memory is being used by the graphics card in my pci express slot (8800gt). I know there is an option in the bios to fix this: Enabling memory remapping, but at the moment I'm reading conflicting opinions as to whether or not this will make the system unstable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Just take note though that you can't upgrade from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit. It'll have to be a full install.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

ScumLord wrote: »

I'd run 32-bit on a netbook, or something slow with only 1Gb ram. It uses a little less memory. Also a lot of apps are still only available in 32-bit versions - running the 32-bit version in a 64-bit OS will give a (tiny) performance hit. Nothing that you'll notice on a proper computer, but on something like a netbook you might find 32-bit a bit 'snappier' for want of a better word.

So let me get this straight, since I have 2 hard drives, I am going to put my data on my second hard drive in my laptop, but I have installed a few games and apps on the second hard drive. Even if I dont format the hard drive that I put them on, the d drive, they will be useless to me and I will have to reinstall them anyway? Is that right?

In the attachments is my hard drive details. Can someone explain what a logical drive is? its the one there with like 90gbs. Can I install win7 on that? What partition should I install win7 on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

So let me get this straight, since I have 2 hard drives, I am going to put my data on my second hard drive in my laptop, but I have installed a few games and apps on the second hard drive. Even if I dont format the hard drive that I put them on, the d drive, they will be useless to me and I will have to reinstall them anyway? Is that right?

In the attachments is my hard drive details. Can someone explain what a logical drive is? its the one there with like 90gbs. Can I install win7 on that? What partition should I install win7 on?

YES! If you are doing a clean install on your first drive then yes the software(games ect) on your second drive will need to be re-installed. When you install any software on an operating system there are entries made regarding that software into the registry, to identify settings ect.

But can I install windows 7 on the logical drive, its in the attachments there. Whats a logical drive anyway

Advertisement