Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need 7mb?

• 26-10-2009 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi I am currently on 3mb with eircom. We are unable to have the Pc, my daughter's lap top and my son's xbox 360 online at the same time. Usually it is the xbox that wont connect.

I know nothing about download or speeds, but I was wondering if I upgraded to 7mb would this solve the problem?

Sorry but I am completely ignorant on this subject.

thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭wishwashwoo

hello there well for a start you will need to upgrade as the net becomes faster and faster and the files become bigger and bigger at the moment your using a 3meg speed its really no good for gameing or downloading ok i had an eircom 3meg package now i was paying for 7 meg a guy from eircom came out to my house and told me that i was doing good to be getting 3 from a 7meg package as the wiring was so old for the phone lines in dublin i had a terrible time trying to watch videos /download/ voip/and so on so i rang ntl they told me that broadband was not in my area for another 6 months so i waited and i am so happy i did wait i got 10meg from them for 22 euros a month where eircom was charging me 62euros for so called 7meg and i can tell you i have never had a single fault with ntl/upc go for the ntl as eircom will never be able to match ntl for speed or price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭lynchie

hello there well for a start you will need to upgrade as the net becomes faster and faster and the files become bigger and bigger at the moment your using a 3meg speed its really no good for gameing or downloading ok i had an eircom 3meg package now i was paying for 7 meg a guy from eircom came out to my house and told me that i was doing good to be getting 3 from a 7meg package as the wiring was so old for the phone lines in dublin i had a terrible time trying to watch videos /download/ voip/and so on so i rang ntl they told me that broadband was not in my area for another 6 months so i waited and i am so happy i did wait i got 10meg from them for 22 euros a month where eircom was charging me 62euros for so called 7meg and i can tell you i have never had a single fault with ntl/upc go for the ntl as eircom will never be able to match ntl for speed or price

3Mb is perfectly fine for gaming. In fact 1Mb is perfectly fine for gaming too. Latency is the only issue for gaming not max speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

You might want to have a closer look at your configuration as there is ample bandwidth for what you want to do in 3Mb, besides the latency in the 7Mb product would kill your gaming experience as the interleaving is locked to high to stabilise it.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

lynchie wrote: »
    Latency is the only issue for gaming not max speed.

Exactly. The average home user doesn't need more than 1-3Mbps. If you're sharing the connection, especially through Wifi, then the ping can be effected by the other users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Snap :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

can we have Line Stats please :)

also consider whether port forwarding is set up properly for the xbox, I suspect it is a requirement .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Sounds like a router configuration issue. But there are lots of possibilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 silent1

Ok as I already said I know nothing about broadband:o

Are these the stats you need?

C/O Speedtest.net

Download - 1.68

Upload - 0.28

Ping - 42

C/O Eircom
    Total Downloads to date this month: 23130 MBTotal Uploads to date this month: 3195 MBTotal Time Online this month: 437:15:00Download Allowance: 30720 MBPercent of Total Allowance used to Date: 75%

Thanks in advance.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

not those

log onto router , http://192.168.1.254/ is router address if an eircom one

click expert mode and OK

line stats are in Db form on the page that appears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

the link to eircom routers is 192.168.1.254 btw ;) that link above wont work :)
    enter expert mode, then copy e.g mine = "Line Attenuation 5/3 dB"

xbox should not be using more than 0.5Mb/s of your 3Mb (50kb/s) most of the time... and average internet usage of 2 computers - even using youtube to watch videos etc on both, shouldnt be exceeding 1.5Mb/s i would think...

that speedtest says you're getting a slow connection
    Download - 1.68

thats half what you're paying for... either a switch to a different provider, or an explanation as to why thats so low (other people online on computers when you did the test?, eircom not providing what they should be?)

7Mb is a hell of a lot for a household mate.. and if its a bad connection provided by eircom in the first place, upgrading it isnt going to do much really...
    as for why the xbox doesnt work properly, while the laptop and computer are connected, that should depend on what you are doing at the time also...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 silent1

Think I got it this time

Line attenuation (dB) 18/11

Does that tell you anything?

Thinking maybe of changing to ntl - eircom line buzzs when online.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Hi Silent1 just to give you my 2 cents: your connection speed should be fine, the problem you are having is probably due to something you can fix yourself, something these guys might be able to help you with.

The attenuation is grand. Make sure you properly placed the filters that came with your modem, for the home phones, sky boxes, fax machines etc. that you may have connected in your home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭wishwashwoo

silent1 these guys are talking crap if you read any good gameing or pc mag you will see they all say that the higher the speed the better the gameing eircom are s@.t really go with the higher speed i seen your total download for the month its really high so i would say your speanding your time waiting for downloads to finish well with ntl you can spend more time doing other things i have never heard such crap from these guys saying that speed does not matter what a load of fish stink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Simi

silent1 these guys are talking crap if you read any good gameing or pc mag you will see they all say that the higher the speed the better the gameing eircom are s@.t really go with the higher speed i seen your total download for the month its really high so i would say your speanding your time waiting for downloads to finish well with ntl you can spend more time doing other things i have never heard such crap from these guys saying that speed does not matter what a load of fish stink

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong... Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. Your wrong! Your Wrong!

Anyway, a 3mb connection is more than sufficient for gaming & would have a lower latency, hence better gaming experience than a 7mb connection. (This applies to DSL only!)
    Your ping is good because you have UPC cable broadband, which is completely unaffected by the problems plaguing high speed DSL connections. i.e. Interleaving, line noise, line length etc.
    Also since when is 30gb a high amount of data? That's probably less than 1/6 my monthly total.

What the hell is speed here??? Bandwidth: an ISDN line in dual channel mode would do the job.

Latency, that's equally important. The fastest download speed package eircom has, has higher latency. The 3 mbps package has more than enough bandwidth for playing an online game.

Also, my trollfag meter is going crazy right now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭lynchie

Gaming does not use bandwidth it relies on latency. Its all udp based which relies on quick delivery of data to/from a server. It has nothing to do with speed. If you bothered to google the issue you will see you are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kingbob387

lol.. mine are Line Attenuation
    37/23 dB on a "so called" 7mb package with eircom.

mine looks a bit high compared to you guys'.

And there is something that i found interesting in my router's page.

Downstream Upstream Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 5344 384

wtf? max allowed only 5? when we're paying for 7?

Advertisement