Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

where to buy W7 online and download?

• 27-10-2009 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

Where to buy windows 7 online and download it.

I tried on the UK microsoft website, but I could not get past the postcode "00000".

Any ideas where I can get it. Vista is giving me a lifelong headache!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

BT1 1AA Belfast sorting office Post Code

• Registered Users Posts: 8 KFR

i bought Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit) OEM from soft4customer.com
    for €71.43

http://www.soft4customer.com/

KFR wrote: »
    i bought Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit) OEM from soft4customer.com
    for €71.43

http://www.soft4customer.com/

That site looks highly dodgy due to the simple fact that everything is so cheap. There's no way that someone could sell the entire Adobe CS4 suite for $2,000 cheaper. I'd suspect it's pirated software.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Karsini wrote: »
    That site looks highly dodgy due to the simple fact that everything is so cheap. There's no way that someone could sell the entire Adobe CS4 suite for $2,000 cheaper. I'd suspect it's pirated software.
    Some sites buy the software in countries where it's really cheap and then re-sell the product keys. That would explain some of the prices there but others do look suspicious.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Some sites buy the software in countries where it's really cheap and then re-sell the product keys. That would explain some of the prices there but others do look suspicious.
    The english in the about us section isn't great so it's looking a little worrying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 KFR

i installed the download, without a serial number.
    it appears to be registered and genuine, .

have i been ripped off? :confused:

You probably paid for a cracked or pirated copy. So while it may work now it may not work in the future and you paid for something that you could have essentially gotten for free. Not advocating piracy here just pointing it out to him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

There is a copy of Windows 7 Home/Professional/Ultimate floating around the net that has been cracked and does not require a serial.
    This IS a pirate/"cracked" version.
    All it takes is one automatic/manual update from Microsoft to that version, to knock itself off from you.
    This has happened before with XP and Vista pirated/"cracked" copies.

I'd be VERY suspicious about the version you got. Sooner or later you could be caught out when your copy reports to you with a message on the screen that "This is not a legit copy" or a similar message that sometimes appears later on down the road.

How did you pay for it?
    Paypal? Credit card? I'd be looking to see if your covered by their (refund) insurance policy for goods that have been shown to be fraudulent and I wouldn't waste any time in looking into this either - before your copy of win 7 decides not to let you use it any more!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

So, where does one buy it online at a good price? Student rate if possible, while I still can claim it!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I was under the impression that the idea was that if you have a legitimate installation image/media setyou can install it as a trial without needing a product key, but after 30 days you'll be forced to enter a Product Key to keep using it. This may be what's happened to you, though I'd be contacting sales support to ask why I hadn't received a product key if I were you.

I've just finished installing Win7 on my desktop after purchasing it from Digital River as part of the Ultimate Steal deal for students and staff of academic institutions. (It should be noted that this deal applies to plenty of Irish academic institutions as well as UK ones - see the list here).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Not recognizing student email for WIT :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

You can't download windows 7 legally.

Microsoft will only allow distribution on the media they provide
    to the shop retailers/OEMs.

Try Amazon, I personally never had a problem with them.

Naikon wrote: »

I have came across two sources which are doing so legally. I think even the MS site offers it download.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Naikon wrote: »

DigitalRiver have a partnership with Microsoft for digital software sales - they run the current Ultimate Steal programme for student/academic licences for Windows & Office, and AFAIK did the same thing when Vista launched.

There is also a lot of discussion of the Trial Mode that can allegedly be kicked off by not providing a product key at installation, but I haven't tried that yet (am about to test it in a VM and see what happens). Some reports claim that's only present in Home Premium, which is interesting...

I've tried the Trial mode in 7 Ultimate and it works. It also works in Vista (you're prompted to choose which version to install), XP SP3 (Home and Pro but not volume licence) and XP x64 SP2.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭p2p2p

Sounds like a RTM version to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

I purchased and downloaded a copy of Windows Vista with a view to upgrading for free when Windows 7 was released from the Microsoft UK website about a month ago.

On the day of release I was able to download it and install to my netbook using a 4gb usb thumb drive. All in all it cost me about £79 (€85) and I didn't have to supply a fake UK address to get it.

Advertisement