Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Useing the Clutch in Forza 3.

• 27-10-2009 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Ok well I was finding Forza extremely easy on Medium with Auto Gears and all assists off except Traction. So I switched to Manual, which was still too easy, and then I went to manual with the clutch... Its now much better as I have a bit of a challenge.

So my questions are, when the rev meter ticks over as changing gear, is that a good or bad sign. And should I brake before shifting down on corners, or vice-versa?

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

i dunno about ingame but thats bad in real life, release the throttle before you use the clutch. its tough to get used to it but its the very same as if you were driving a real car

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Liathroidi Dana

weeder wrote: »
    i dunno about ingame but thats bad in real life, release the throttle before you use the clutch. its tough to get used to it but its the very same as if you were driving a real car

Thanks mate I'm sure its the same in game.

I may, start learning how ta drive a car... less than a year left, til I can get me license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

basically, to upshift decellerate,clutch in,change gear, release clutch and drive on, same goes for shifting down, when i got my first geared motorcycle i drove it without decellerating for the first few weeks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Ok well I was finding Forza extremely easy on Medium with Auto Gears and all assists off except Traction. So I switched to Manual, which was still too easy, and then I went to manual with the clutch... Its now much better as I have a bit of a challenge.

So my questions are, when the rev meter ticks over as changing gear, is that a good or bad sign. And should I brake before shifting down on corners, or vice-versa?

Thanks for any replies.

Changing up gears is pretty straight forward, release accelerator, clutch, change up, release clutch and finally press the accelerator again

You change down the gears while braking but you should be braking long enough before the initial down shift to prevent the engine over revving.

Put on auto again and watch how they do it, or hire a driver and watch him. Listen for the changes and you'll see how they are being done.

What you describe is called an over rev and is extremely bad practice. A road car will take more abuse but a race engine tuned within an inch of its life and one lap of poor gear changes could be the end of it (in reality). I don't know how severe Forza 3 is in this regard but when I was learning manual in Forza 2 I did cause the engine to turn yellow quite easily

Are you playing with a pad, what layout are you using? Is the clutch left bumper by default

I'd find it impossible to press the clutch with my index finger and brake with my middle finger. Middle finger wouldn't have the finesse for braking tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Liathroidi Dana

Vegeta wrote: »

Are you playing with a pad, what layout are you using? Is the clutch left bumper by default

I'd find it impossible to press the clutch with my index finger and brake with my middle finger. Middle finger wouldn't have the finesse for braking tbh

Thanks for the reply, answered my question brilliantly.

Yes I am using a pad, might and yep its left bumper by default.

I'm getting used to the clutch now and I much prefer it, only tend to mess up once or twice during a race now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement