Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official SE XPERIA X10 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭mooneyd

Im trying to get my head around this?

Some of the links to where the files are/ were are no longer working.
    I have a SE x10i

Whats confusing me is some people are talking about the using PC companion and other are talking about doing it by installing from the memory card.

Anyone care to guide me through it?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

how do i know the phone is rooted? done the steps but im trying to edit the file and says read only dont see any big white button
    when i run x10root the screen goes black and nothing happen.

does the phone gets rooted just by running that file?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

ldr wrote: »
    how do i know the phone is rooted? done the steps but im trying to edit the file and says read only dont see any big white button

Top right hand side of screen.When you click it you`ll see a button change from r/o to r/w.

no button there bud,
    rootexplorer says phone is not rooted, does the phone gets rooted just by running the x10root. apk

maybe i should say it the x10mini

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

no button there bud,
    rootexplorer says phone is not rooted, does the phone gets rooted just by running the x10root. apk

maybe i should say it the x10mini

Sent you a different rooting program to your mail.You could also try downloading "titanium backup" from the market to test your root before you use rootexplorer.

thanks. got the phone rooted.

replace the number with 1238-8536 but after connecting to pc companion still says no uptades

thanks. got the phone rooted.

replace the number with 1238-8536 but after connecting to pc companion still says no uptades

You have to do a force repair in Pc companion.

Guys and girls im trying to do a root? for a SEUS does pc suite count yea or is there a different programme

getting somewhere now.
    when i try to repair the phone, says unable to download check internet connection... :mad:

nah....... it wont download new software says problem with internet connection, and theres nothing wrong with my internet connection

getting somewhere now.
    when i try to repair the phone, says unable to download check internet connection... :mad:

nah....... it wont download new software says problem with internet connection, and theres nothing wrong with my internet connection

Mmm thats a new one for me.Could be just the Sony servers busy.Id say keep trying or check your firewall and make sure pc companion isnt blocked.

• Advertisement

Ive uploaded all 3 files here.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=E1SO4PJ0

These files are
    1.Rootexplorer
    2.Universal Androot (for minis only)
    3.X10 root for the x10i and not the minis as the file name says.

Hope the mods dont mind me doing this.
    Its just that Im not online all the time and Im getting a fair few requests for the files.All the files are the free versions of the required files so theres no question of illegal software being hosted.

give up, for now just tried it again and no joy.

thank you very much for your help, couldnt done it without you

give up, for now just tried it again and no joy.

thank you very much for your help, couldnt done it without you

Id try and remove pc companion and reinstall it.Its like a server issue more so than the update not working.

Ive just done mine here and it worked first time but mines not a mini.
    Maybe pm grumpy--He had issues doing a mini but he got it working according to his last post above.

Really loving the 2.1.Super smooth and a lot faster than 1.6.

mooneyd wrote: »
    Guys and girls im trying to do a root? for a SEUS does pc suite count yea or is there a different programme

Should have said that all the updating Ive done is through SEUS.

The mini uses pc companion.

WoW got the update and wow...wi...woo...wa... its lovely.
    I did prefer the arc unlock though

Good to see that it worked for you.

now its bad. tryed again there still giving problems with internet connection.
    so tryed to flash with the nordic flasher from xda and now when it boots have no screens all blank :mad:

now its bad. tryed again there still giving problems with internet connection.
    so tryed to flash with the nordic flasher from xda and now when it boots have no screens all blank :mad:

Youre missing a step somewhere.I suggest you read back on the thread and follow it to the letter.

If its not working now do a "repair" in pc companion.That will get you back to the beginning.

The things to make sure of is that root is successful.Test it by downloading titanium backup in the market.
    Once root is achieved the rest is simple.

The arc unlock is still there.Its hidden in the settings somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 paburke

Well i'm on 3 and from everything i've read here and elsewhere over the past few days looks like the only viable option in the short term is to root?

SE have totally damanged their rep with the delay with 2.1 and the fact that x10 is meant to be their flagship smartphone, interesting to see if this damages future sales....just a moan from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rua327

Ok, has anyone managed to root and upgrade the X10 mino pro? I have tried for two days in vain, using all the advice here (which is very much appreciated), and I feel like giving up at this stage.

I haven't managed to root the phone, the links to recommended root files are not working anymore on the sites.

If someone has successfully upgraded, can you please PM me or go through the process here?

Hellrazer, thanks for all your help but I think I should've told you it was an x10 mini from the start.

In summary, I cannot root, the files say read only, and I am having trouble downloading the files from the websites.

Any help please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭number_1

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Ive uploaded all 3 files here.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=E1SO4PJ0

These files are
    1.Rootexplorer
    2.Universal Androot (for minis only)
    3.X10 root for the x10i and not the minis as the file name says.

Hope the mods dont mind me doing this.
    Its just that Im not online all the time and Im getting a fair few requests for the files.All the files are the free versions of the required files so theres no question of illegal software being hosted.

This link isn't working now. It says "The file you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable". I've got Androot already, can somebody point me towards a download link for root explorer?

PS. I'm using an X10 mini.

EDIT 1: Found it here - http://www.mediafire.com/?0tynyznwmmo

EDIT 2: Damn it! Root explorer works and I can navigate to the build.prop file, but when I choose to open it as a text file I just get a blank white screen! :(

EDIT 3: It seems it wasn't enough to click the button in the corner to change from read-only to read-write. Instead I long pressed the build.prop file, went to permissions, and enabled everything there! Now I can see my number is 1238-0215 and want to change to 1238-8536 but I can't edit the file. Has anybody any ideas on what to do now?

managed to flash the x10 mini using flashtool but have no internet connection, works for the first few minutes and then just stops
    any ideas

I copied the build.prop file to my SD card and edited it using Notepad on my PC. I then went to copy the edited file back to the system folder. The phone asks me if I want to overwrite the existing file and I choose yes. However after I do this the old file remains without having been overwritten by the newer one.

I made the mistake of deleting the old file and trying to copy the new file over then. This didn't work, and upon restarting the phone I discovered that this had effectively bricked the phone! I used PC Companion to repair the software and now I'm back at the stumbling block of trying to copy the edited build.prop file into the system folder. Any ideas?

i reinstalled the 2.1 using pc companion and force repair, and installed, but after awhile the internet connection just stops working.

help

• Advertisement

i reinstalled the 2.1 using pc companion and force repair, and installed, but after awhile the internet connection just stops working.

help

Internet on the phone?

You have to reenter the apns manually after the 2.1 upgrade.The auto apn settings dont work.

BTW my link to the files is back working.

number_1 wrote: »
    I copied the build.prop file to my SD card and edited it using Notepad on my PC.

Why didnt you just edit it using rootexplorer--thats the best method.
    I then went to copy the edited file back to the system folder. The phone asks me if I want to overwrite the existing file and I choose yes. However after I do this the old file remains without having been overwritten by the newer one.

Sounds like youre not rooted.Run androot again.

EDIT 3: It seems it wasn't enough to click the button in the corner to change from read-only to read-write. Instead I long pressed the build.prop file, went to permissions, and enabled everything there! Now I can see my number is 1238-0215 and want to change to 1238-8536 but I can't edit the file. Has anybody any ideas on what to do now?

Long press again and you should be able to edit the persmissions.

Ok, I have rooted but keep getting a message on opening Root Explorer that "Root explorer has not yet managed to obtain root access because of issues with superuser. This usually happens the first time but is usually fine from then on. Restart the app and try again. Make sure to respond correctly to the superuser prompt"

I have tried a heap of times to restart the app and still getting this msg.

Anyone have this problem? And any solutions?

finally the phone is sorted. happy with it, looks good and the best thing is can install some new apps.

i used this :
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=825664

done in 2 minutes, after flashing it could connect to the phone internet, used pc companion to repair software but still woundnt work, but like hellrazer said you need to setup manually the access points.

hellrazer thank you very much for the help

• Advertisement

rua327 wrote: »
    Ok, I have rooted but keep getting a message on opening Root Explorer that "Root explorer has not yet managed to obtain root access because of issues with superuser.

Rua got your text.Im around tomorrow if you dont get sorted tonight.

Anyway the message Ive highlighted means you are not rooted correctly
    Heres how you fix it.

Reroot with androot--I think youre using the wrong root program.It has to be androot

Then from the market install titanium backup.Run titanium backup and allow it access to whatever it asks for and on the first screen theres an button that says "problems?"
    Tap that and it will download a new super user to your phone.Then you should be rooted right.

And the rootexplorer method should work from then.

finally the phone is sorted. happy with it, looks good and the best thing is can install some new apps.

i used this :
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=825664

done in 2 minutes, after flashing it could connect to the phone internet, used pc companion to repair software but still woundnt work, but like hellrazer said you need to setup manually the access points.

hellrazer thank you very much for the help

Glad you got sorted.When you were saying that you had no internet access I though you meant on your PC and not the phone.
    The apn problem is known in 2.1 so you have to enter the operator setting manually.
    It makes sense since were all on 2.1 Nordic firmware and obviously the operator setting for Ireland probably arent hardwired into the auto apn settings.

Why didnt you just edit it using rootexplorer--thats the best method.

Sounds like youre not rooted.Run androot again.

Longpressing the build.prop file in root explorer gives the option to "Open as text". When this is selected the text opens up but can't be edited, it can just be scrolled through to view its contents.

I ran androot again and it said I was already rooted. I ran it regardless just to be sure but it didn't make a difference. Root explorer is on the list of apps with superuser access.

Basically my x10 mini is rooted, has root explorer installed, can navigate to the build.prop file in the system folder, but can't edit this file. I've altered all the permissions but I can neither edit this file nor replace it with one I edited on my PC.

Is it possible that there's an error with the copy of root explorer that I'm using?

PS. I still get the error message trying to access the link with your files.

Longpressing the build.prop file in root explorer gives the option to "Open as text".

If you scroll to the last item on the menu it says "open in text editor"

Theres only 2 reasons why open in text editor isnt there 1.Root is not achieved and 2.Wrong version of rootexplorer.

When this is selected the text opens up but can't be edited, it can just be scrolled through to view its contents.

See up there ^^^
    I ran androot again and it said I was already rooted.
    Leads me to think that root explorer is the issue--Use my version of it.
    I ran it regardless just to be sure but it didn't make a difference. Root explorer is on the list of apps with superuser access.

Basically my x10 mini is rooted, has root explorer installed, can navigate to the build.prop file in the system folder, but can't edit this file. I've altered all the permissions but I can neither edit this file nor replace it with one I edited on my PC.

I still think its root explorer thats wrong.You need a version higher than 2.12.

I didnt even think 2.3 was out yet so I have a feeling thats your problem there.
    Is it possible that there's an error with the copy of root explorer that I'm using?
    Did you do what I said with titanium backup from the market??
    This is the best way to test root and give super user access.

for those who cant do this for whatever reason it should be out within the next 2 weeks. as It should be ready to go live next week from what I have heard they are just doing final tests

mooneyd, how reliable is this information? Tearing my hair out at the moment trying to root / upgrade, but if it REALLY is only going to be another 2 wks then I might wait. Whats 2 wks, after 6 months eh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

rua327 wrote: »
    mooneyd, how reliable is this information? Tearing my hair out at the moment trying to root / upgrade, but if it REALLY is only going to be another 2 wks then I might wait. Whats 2 wks, after 6 months eh!

It has already been said earlier on this thread that 02 have announced that the update will be out on the week of the 22nd November (so midnight on Sunday the 28th seems realistic :P).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I've noticed a huge improvement in the battery since upgrading to 2.1. I'm just checking my settings now and the battery level is at 41% after 2d 18h 26m 34s of mild use, ie: a couple of calls/texts, downloaded a few apps, used Google Maps, played a few games of Angry Birds and checked Facebook a few times (I have it synced too).

So possibly between 3 and 4 days battery life with 2.1! That's really impressive considering I couldn't even get 24 hours battery life when I first got the phone back in April and it just goes to show how important software/OS updates are.

Did you do what I said with titanium backup from the market??
    This is the best way to test root and give super user access.

Yep I've done that and it downloaded the latest busybox executable. build.prop will still only open in a text reader, not a text editor in root explorer.

I've tried the link for your files again and am still getting the error message. Could you upload them again? Please! :)

Yep I've done that and it downloaded the latest busybox executable. build.prop will still only open in a text reader, not a text editor in root explorer.

In titanium on the first screen when you run it does it say "root achieved"
    It should do.

If it does then its the rootexplorer that you are using.The text editir was only in some versions of rootexplorer that why I linked to the one that I know works 100%
    I've tried the link for your files again and am still getting the error message. Could you upload them again? Please! :)

Better still pop me a pm with an email address and Ill send then to you in a rar file.

• Advertisement

do it using the method i used takes literally 2 minutes.

do it using the method i used takes literally 2 minutes.

Number 1 has a mini aswell so maybe you should pop him a pm ldr.

Im not well up on the minis procedure.

If I had one here Id do up a guide.

I finally managed to download hellrazer's version of root explorer, and following a long drawn out process I've finally been able to update my x10 mini to 2.1. Here are the steps I had to go through:
    1. Download app installer and titanium backup from the market.
    2. Copy Androot and root explorer (hellrazer's files) to the phone's sd card (the root, not in any folders) via the USB cable
    3. Disconnect the USB cable
    4. Use app installer to install Androot and root explorer (This won't work if the USB cable is still attached with the SD card mounted on the PC)
    5. Use Androot to root the phone (click yes for everything it asks you).
    6. Open titanium backup. This will seek root access but will probably encounter a problem.
    7. At the home screen of titanium backup click "Problems?"
    8. A new busybox executable will be downloaded and installed, this gives you full root access.
    9. Open root explorer and navigate to build.prop in the system folder.
    10. Long press this file and open it in a text editor.
    11. There were three instances in this file where my build.prop file said "1238-0215" (other people's phones might have different numbers as I purchased mine unlocked in the UK.
    12. Change this number to "1238-0549" (I think that's the Swedish version).
    13. UNINSTALL the current version of PC Companion from your PC.
    14. Plug in your phone and choose to install PC Companion (the older version preloaded on your phone).
    15. Once installed, go into the support zone (this will automatically download and install after being clicked).
    16. Click software update.
    17. It will say that the phone already has the latest software, so choose "repair".
    18. Follow the onscreen instructions exactly.
    19. You will be told to use the backup and restore application to backup your user data. Do this or else you will lose all your contacts, messages, etc
    20. One of the later instructions says you have to remove the battery for a few seconds. Ignore this as the battery is built in, the process will still work while ignoring this step.
    21. Hey presto, your x10 mini will be updated to the shiny 2.1 version of Android!
    22. Finally, use the backup and restore application to restore all your contacts, messages, etc. You will also have to set up your email accounts, etc as it'll be like you bought a new phone with 2.1 preloaded

Thanks to hellrazer for all the help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 allezlesverts

Does anyone know if and when Meteor are planning to release the 2.1 update? I asked customer care last week and they said they don't know anything about it. Then, apparently having checked with the technical people, the agent told me to download it directly from the Nokia site. Brilliant. They haven't made any of the X10 firmware updates available so I'm not too hopeful. Cheers.

I finally managed to download hellrazer's version of root explorer, and following a long drawn out process I've finally been able to update my x10 mini to 2.1. Here are the steps I had to go through:
    1. Download app installer and titanium backup from the market.
    2. Copy Androot and root explorer (hellrazer's files) to the phone's sd card (the root, not in any folders) via the USB cable
    3. Disconnect the USB cable
    4. Use app installer to install Androot and root explorer (This won't work if the USB cable is still attached with the SD card mounted on the PC)
    5. Use Androot to root the phone (click yes for everything it asks you).
    6. Open titanium backup. This will seek root access but will probably encounter a problem.
    7. At the home screen of titanium backup click "Problems?"
    8. A new busybox executable will be downloaded and installed, this gives you full root access.
    9. Open root explorer and navigate to build.prop in the system folder.
    10. Long press this file and open it in a text editor.
    11. There were three instances in this file where my build.prop file said "1238-0215" (other people's phones might have different numbers as I purchased mine unlocked in the UK.
    12. Change this number to "1238-0549" (I think that's the Swedish version).
    13. UNINSTALL the current version of PC Companion from your PC.
    14. Plug in your phone and choose to install PC Companion (the older version preloaded on your phone).
    15. Once installed, go into the support zone (this will automatically download and install after being clicked).
    16. Click software update.
    17. It will say that the phone already has the latest software, so choose "repair".
    18. Follow the onscreen instructions exactly.
    19. You will be told to use the backup and restore application to backup your user data. Do this or else you will lose all your contacts, messages, etc
    20. One of the later instructions says you have to remove the battery for a few seconds. Ignore this as the battery is built in, the process will still work while ignoring this step.
    21. Hey presto, your x10 mini will be updated to the shiny 2.1 version of Android!
    22. Finally, use the backup and restore application to restore all your contacts, messages, etc. You will also have to set up your email accounts, etc as it'll be like you bought a new phone with 2.1 preloaded

Thanks to hellrazer for all the help!

So the problem was what I said?
    Either the rootexplorer version or the wrong rooting program.

You had me worried there number1.

Glad to see you are up and running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 KFIELDS82

plz help, want to upgrade my x10, but im lost .. you lost me at "root"., if somebody walkd me thru it , i can figure it out .. but where am i suppose to look for ..root at ....i didnt ride the shortbus.. lol.. but its all a little confusing at first, help plz...

KFIELDS82 wrote: »
    plz help, want to upgrade my x10, but im lost .. you lost me at "root"., if somebody walkd me thru it , i can figure it out .. but where am i suppose to look for ..root at ....i didnt ride the shortbus.. lol.. but its all a little confusing at first, help plz...

Im going to explain this as easy as I can.

Right firstly pop me a pm with an email address and I`ll send you both files that you need.
    These are called x10root and rootexplorer.

You transfer both to your sd card using your usb cable.
    From the market download "apps installer" and install it.

When you run apps installer it will search your sd card and find and install x10 root and rootexplorer.

Still with me??

1.Run x10 root and it will root your phone and allow installation of 3rd party apps which is what root explorer is.

2.When you are rooted you run "root explorer" as in my earlier post.Browse to the system folder and change the values in default.prob to what Ive listed above.
    This gets you to generic nordic firmware.Plug into your pc and connect to the Sonu Ericcson update service--If you dont have this get it from the Sony site.
    First time you connect to the update service you get rba026(latest nordic) and the next time gets you to 2.1.

You may have to remove the "db " folder as I mentioned again in an earlier post.

Its a 10 minute job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 KFIELDS82

lol... thank you soo much for offering to help ... but at the risk of sounding stupid..... how do i send you a pm.... i went to your profile page .. but didnt see how to leave you a pm...here is my email... esq.kyle@gmail.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭BravoMike

Sorry if this question has been posted before couldn't find it.
    I am having a huge amount of problems with this phone so much so that last night I decided to reinstall the software on the phone (Android 1.6) with O2. Before reinstallation I backed up all the information using the back up and restore app. I also backed up my contacts directly in the phonebook just to be sure.
    Anyway after the software installation I went to restore my phone, all messages were there, call log but no contacts. I went into phonebook and did an import but it only brought back the names of the contacts and no numbers, emails or addresses.
    Is there anyway of getting the numbers back? Any help would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

New angry birds released that works on android 1.6

Tried and tested

http://getandroidstuff.com/angry-birds-android-downlaod-update-v142-45-levels/

Advertisement