Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official SE XPERIA X10 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Hey guys, I currently have a rooted 2.1 X10i. With 2.1, there are now 5 homescreens. Is it possible to edit this number? Personally, I only want three.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 brenm2

Hi All, i've just got off the phone after a very frustrating conversation with 3's "help" people.
    I asked them when the android 2.1 update was coming out for my xperia x10 and they told me i'd have to leave the phone with their repair shop to get the update done.
    I rang the repair shop and they said it could take up to five working days.:(.

The thing is i don't think that anyone i spoke to today actually knew what i was talking about, i think they were giving me generic answers to my questions.

Does anyone know if Three are going to do the update over the air. Because if not Rooting the phone and upgrading it myself seems like the best option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

Right, I have decided that rooting the phone seems to be the only way i'll be getting the upgrade any time soon.

The only issue I'm having is that I'm running Ubuntu on my lappy and don't have access to a windows machine, hence I don't have PC companion.

Is PC companion absolutely necessary? or can I do it without PC companion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I'm not sure if PC Companion is the only method of downloading the 2.1 update, maybe the online SEUS might work if you connect a rooted phone to your machine? Failing that you could always use Wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

no need for rooting using this method:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=825664

takes 2 minutes to do

use then pc companion to repair software just for peace of mind

• Advertisement

Cheers Raekwon, have tried installing pc companion using wine, it installs fine but doesn't see the phone when i connect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭ronano

probably all know it but 2.1 is available for the x10 mini pro

Does anyone know why cabbage cant be found on the market for this phone :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

ronano wrote: »

It's there alright, it's called Irish Cabbage Lite by Ryderster.

Search "pub:ryderster" without the quotes and you should find it. :)

Otacon wrote: »
    Hey guys, I currently have a rooted 2.1 X10i. With 2.1, there are now 5 homescreens. Is it possible to edit this number? Personally, I only want three.

FYI for anyone else with this question, the only way to specify the number of home screens on your phone is to use a launcher like LauncherPro.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rua327

2.1 available using Update Manager NOW. Just updated. I couldn't get root etc to work for me and just tried in the off chance this evening and was successful. What can I be bitter about now? Hellrazer, thanks for all your assistance again, I know your head must be melted. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rua327

rua327 wrote: »
    2.1 available using Update Manager NOW. Just updated. I couldn't get root etc to work for me and just tried in the off chance this evening and was successful. What can I be bitter about now? Hellrazer, thanks for all your assistance again, I know your head must be melted. :D

Meant "Update Service"... woohoo

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

rua327 wrote: »

No worries.Anyone else needs the files just pop me a pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Update out for meteor users like me.

No rooting, no roms just old fashioned patience :P

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mono_mac

marcbrophy wrote: »
    It's there alright, it's called Irish Cabbage Lite by Ryderster.

Search "pub:ryderster" without the quotes and you should find it. :)

sorry this doesnt work either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Ah at last, 2.1 on X10 mini pro on 3. Wasn't bright enough/brave enough to root my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mono_mac

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Ah at last, 2.1 on X10 mini pro on 3. Wasn't bright enough/brave enough to root my phone.
    whoo i used the da vinci team -classss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭Tree Scape

eh, X10 with Meteor. Got notification today. Tried to download PC Companion through Google Chrome. ICon is sitting on my desktop, but won't launch, I uninstalled and tried again through Firefox but just goes through a repetitive cycle saying its installing. Been on SE site and it seems a common problem.
    Running XP (i think) on a inspiron.....any advice??

Tree Scape wrote: »
    eh, X10 with Meteor. Got notification today. Tried to download PC Companion through Google Chrome. ICon is sitting on my desktop, but won't launch, I uninstalled and tried again through Firefox but just goes through a repetitive cycle saying its installing. Been on SE site and it seems a common problem.
    Running XP (i think) on a inspiron.....any advice??

dont use pc companion, use the update service

http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/support/softwaredownloads/detailed/updateservice/xperiax10?cc=gb&lc=en

Just done that...lets see what we get......

Tree Scape wrote: »
    Just done that...lets see what we get......
    Rock and roll:D
    cheers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Quick heads up for anyone brave enough to Flash their X10i.

Xda developers have released a custom rom with no SE branding at all.Its like a generic android rom which IMO is what Android is all about.Its a bit buggy at the minute--Not even an alpha release but way way faster than the stock rom--Blows the Galaxy-s away apparently.

Theres also talk of a 2.2 rom being released soon.

Anybody know how to stop the bloody thing from locking after every bloody call. It's getting a bit annoying at this stage.

Pinch to zoom coming in 2011

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/17/xperia-x10-to-pinch-and-zoom-in-q1-2011-with-some-limitation-v/
    There's been a long back-and-forth from Sony Ericsson and the dev community as to whether or not the Xperia X10 was at all capable of multi-touch -- the company stance has been that the hardware just can't do it, but still whispers to the contrary have lingered. Consider those murmurs validated: Sony Ericsson Product Blog has announced that the X10 will, in fact, get multi-touch in the first quarter of next year -- with some caveats. The large asterisk that's destined to clarify the minutiae will tell you that pinch-to-zoom will be enabled for browser and maps, but as the blog post put it, "situations like when the movement of the two fingers cross each other on the X- or Y-axis that could cause strange behavior." Third-party apps should be able to join some functionality, too, with the similar limitations (including when buttons must be pressed simultaneously -- that won't work). In the video demonstration after the break, take note how Angry Birds doesn't quite pinch and zoom smoothly. So yeah, it's not all sunshine, but at least there's something to look forward to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

O2 has 2.1 now (and possibly earlier but I gave up checking until today :))

GreeBo wrote: »
    O2 has 2.1 now (and possibly earlier but I gave up checking until today :))

It's still telling me that 1.6 is the latest software. :mad:

EDIT: Was just onto o2 and they said that it's still in testing and that it will take another while before they send it back to SE for over the air release.

foinse wrote: »
    It's still telling me that 1.6 is the latest software. :mad:

EDIT: Was just onto o2 and they said that it's still in testing and that it will take another while before they send it back to SE for over the air release.
    When I check from my phone it tells me an update is available, just need to do it via computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭BravoMike

I'm on O2 also and I'm just doing the update to 2.1 as I type.
    Hopefully it will get rid of the problems

BravoMike wrote: »

Are they releasing this in stages or what? I'm still showing that 1.6 is the latest software. :(

BravoMike wrote: »

What problems you got?Mine ran fine on 1.6 and is even better on 2.1.

Tested the 2.1 custom last night but its buggy as anything but still really really fast.

Had to swap back to stock--The custom one wouldnt be the best at the minute for everyday use but if they make it stable its going to make this phone one of the fastest androids out there.

• Advertisement

Are they releasing this in stages or what? I'm still showing that 1.6 is the latest software. :(

Operators need to put their own branding on the firmware before they release it--Thats what the hold up is in most cases.

Debrand,root,generic firmware is the way to go in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

ronano wrote: »

Had the same issue with Cabbage on my missus' new X10 mini pro. Installed Textdroid instead once I updated to 2.1, does the same job as Cabbage, problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

Upgrade here, did it on Monday with no problems.

http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/products/mobilephones/overview/xperiax10minipro?cc=IE&lc=en#a

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭BravoMike

Hellrazer wrote: »
    What problems you got?Mine ran fine on 1.6 and is even better on 2.1.

I had loads of problems with it,
    The phone would turn itself off all of a sudden.
    When turning the screen on again after standby it would quite often stall for 30 seconds or so before coming back.
    The data connection was hit or miss it would work when it wanted to, it resulted in me turning the phone on and off a few times a day to get it working.
    The battery was not showing proper battery levels, after a full nights charge it would say a very low level of power anywhere between 1% and 15% but the unusual thing was the power level would increase the longer you left it.
    The ringtones would change to what ever the phone felt like playing at the time it rang.
    The keys used to "stick".
    While using the call log I would select the first entry and try and redial it but it used to dial the second or third entry on the list, it also happen to other people while trying to do the same thing.
    My girlfriend entered a number and proceeded to dial it and it rang a totally different number to what was entered leaving her quite bemused talking to a total stranger instead of her sister.
    I am also having problems with the SD card ejecting itself and then saying it is empty???

With all of the above problems I decided to reinstall 1.6 but then THIS happened.

I really wish I bought an Iphone or stuck with the N97. I hope 2.1 solves a few of the problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

I just update to 2.1 and I am on Three. I run APNDRIOD to stop me connecting to the internet. It does not see to work for me anymore. Does anyone know of any other apps that I can use?

Also, can someone tell me about a symbol on the top of the screen. Currenly is shows 3G with an arrow up/down below it. Some times the 3G changes to a H. Does anyone know what this means..?

Thanks

padair wrote: »
    I just update to 2.1 and I am on Three. I run APNDRIOD to stop me connecting to the internet. It does not see to work for me anymore. Does anyone know of any other apps that I can use?

A roundabout way of doing it, but I use Extended Controls. It basically gives you an editable list of homepage widgets, one being to shut off the data connection. You still get texts and phonecalls though.

• Advertisement

padair wrote: »

Also, can someone tell me about a symbol on the top of the screen. Currenly is shows 3G with an arrow up/down below it. Some times the 3G changes to a H. Does anyone know what this means..?

Thanks

H is HSPDA or HSUPA. I think.

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_xperia_x10-2964.php

Operators need to put their own branding on the firmware before they release it--Thats what the hold up is in most cases.

Debrand,root,generic firmware is the way to go in my opinion.

But its out for O2 Im (and others) are on it...

Right so,

I've borrowed a windows laptop, i've installed pc companion, it sees my phone all is going great.

I go in to look for update....Hooray there's one available for my phone.

I go through the preparation stage, it tells me to back up, which i've done....................It then tells me to continue I've to disconnect the usb from the phone and laptop, turn off the phone and then wait 5s which i've done.....It then says to hold down the back button while reconnecting the phone.

Another dialog box opens up telling me to mount the phone which i do, it then goes back to preparing the computer for the upgrade.

I then get the following message:

Unable to install or start phone software update components. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Getting a bit pissed off with this phone anyone got any ideas?

EDIT: I've googled the error i'm getting and i got2 suggestions 1, turn off antivirus/firewall....didn't make a difference and the second suggestion was to try SE update service, downloaded this and it just opened pc companion again. Also since i tried this update, ever since the everytime the backlight goes off on the screen the phone locks the sim card and i loose gsm connectivity.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Right so,

I've borrowed a windows laptop, i've installed pc companion, it sees my phone all is going great.

I go in to look for update....Hooray there's one available for my phone.

I go through the preparation stage, it tells me to back up, which i've done....................It then tells me to continue I've to disconnect the usb from the phone and laptop, turn off the phone and then wait 5s which i've done.....It then says to hold down the back button while reconnecting the phone.

Another dialog box opens up telling me to mount the phone which i do, it then goes back to preparing the computer for the upgrade.

I then get the following message:

Unable to install or start phone software update components. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Getting a bit pissed off with this phone anyone got any ideas?

EDIT: I've googled the error i'm getting and i got2 suggestions 1, turn off antivirus/firewall....didn't make a difference and the second suggestion was to try SE update service, downloaded this and it just opened pc companion again. Also since i tried this update, ever since the everytime the backlight goes off on the screen the phone locks the sim card and i loose gsm connectivity.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

As far as I can remember you dont mount the phone to do the upgrades.Mounting is only for transferring files to/from the phone.
    It sounds like youre not going into flash mode properly.You need to switch off the phone,leave it off for 30 secs,hold the back button while plugging in the usb cable.
    You should then get a solid green led and then its in flash mode.

Next--Is it a mini or x10i?
    If its a mini you use pc companion,if its a x10i you use SEUS.

I suggest you read back on my posts on this thread--there is a file that needs to be deleted from seus that contains the old firmware and you may not get an update if its trying to read that file--its called the "db" folder and its in program files/sony erricsson somewhere.

You may also need to remove SEUS altogether and reinstall the latest version.

If youre stuck pop me a pm and I`ll try help.

As far as I can remember you dont mount the phone to do the upgrades.Mounting is only for transferring files to/from the phone.
    It sounds like youre not going into flash mode properly.You need to switch off the phone,leave it off for 30 secs,hold the back button while plugging in the usb cable.
    You should then get a solid green led and then its in flash mode.

Next--Is it a mini or x10i?
    If its a mini you use pc companion,if its a x10i you use SEUS.

I suggest you read back on my posts on this thread--there is a file that needs to be deleted from seus that contains the old firmware and you may not get an update if its trying to read that file--its called the "db" folder and its in program files/sony erricsson somewhere.

You may also need to remove SEUS altogether and reinstall the latest version.

If youre stuck pop me a pm and I`ll try help.

When I use SEUS, I get to the second step where it asks me to unplug, wait 30s and plug in again holding down back button. Then nothing. I can't even get past that screen.

Edit: I think i've found the issue, the computer won't install the drivers to make the phone a flash drive.

• Advertisement

When I use SEUS, I get to the second step where it asks me to unplug, wait 30s and plug in again holding down back button. Then nothing. I can't even get past that screen.
    Edit: I think i've found the issue, the computer won't install the drivers to make the phone a flash drive.

Hmmm--Never saw that.Usually the drivers are installed automatically.I`d reinstall SEUS after trying this below.

It also sounds like youre not getting into flash mode right.

The drivers are installed when you plug in the usb first without using seus--as if you were going to copy files across to the sd card.Drag the upper task bar down and there should be an option to mount sd card.
    That should install the drivers.

Then disconnect the x10.Open seus and follow every instruction to the letter ie plug in,plug out,leave off for 30 secs.
    As I said earlier you`ll know that its in flash mode when you get a solid green led with the screen off.
    Then the update should work.

Seus can be picky in picking up the phone in flash mode unless you follwo the instructions 100% ie keep holding the back button until Seus says to let go of it.You also never mentioned if it was a x10 or mini?Minis only use pc companion,full size x10i`s use seus.

Hmmm--Never saw that.Usually the drivers are installed automatically.I`d reinstall SEUS after trying this below.

It also sounds like youre not getting into flash mode right.

The drivers are installed when you plug in the usb first without using seus--as if you were going to copy files across to the sd card.Drag the upper task bar down and there should be an option to mount sd card.
    That should install the drivers.

Then disconnect the x10.Open seus and follow every instruction to the letter ie plug in,plug out,leave off for 30 secs.
    As I said earlier you`ll know that its in flash mode when you get a solid green led with the screen off.
    Then the update should work.

Seus can be picky in picking up the phone in flash mode unless you follwo the instructions 100% ie keep holding the back button until Seus says to let go of it.You also never mentioned if it was a x10 or mini?Minis only use pc companion,full size x10i`s use seus.

It's an x10i, I've tried some amount of uninstalling and rebooting and every combination i can think of with the usb lead. I'm going to just hand it into a phone shop and have them do it. Getting pissed off with it and i'll only break it if I keep going without success.

I gave up, and brought it into phonemenders in Limerick. Handed it in yesterday got it back today no longer disconnecting from the network after locking and now running 2.1, happy out. It seems very good, the only thing i'm not happy about is trying to set up the home screens again. :D

Well Sony Ericsson are doing their very best to dig themselves out of a hole after the 2.1 update fiasco and have officially announced that multi-touch and 'another update' (possibly 2.2?) are coming to the Xperia X10 handset in Q1 of 2011 (so possibly around March)! Great news on both counts! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

Raekwon wrote: »
    Well Sony Ericsson are doing their very best to dig themselves out of a hole after the 2.1 update fiasco

Has there been major problems? I contacted SE last week as I had locked the phone trying to set the security pattern. While I was on to them they advised that the 2.1 upgrade would be available shortly and recommended installing it.

Installed the upgrade last Sat and despite (or so I thought) backing up all data, I lost everything :mad:.

The phone has been running terrible since: battery performance has noticeably dropped instead of improving. Apart from not enjoying the clumsy 'feel' of the software, the phone just seems to handle a lot slower. Internet connection is a lot slower (which is what I use the phone for mainly). I'm on O2, are these issues the norm with the 2.1 upgrade?

Was more than happy with the phone prior to the upgrade but since then, to be blunt, I'm pretty p!ssed.

I think Raekwon was referring to the multiple delays on the update, rather than the update itself.

Get back onto SE about your issues or try re-installing the software. Mine has been working well since the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

I think Raekwon was referring to the multiple delays on the update, rather than the update itself.

Get back onto SE about your issues or try re-installing the software. Mine has been working well since the update.

Hmmm, don't know about that. This is the 3rd time my phone has ended up at a factory reset level (had to reset the damn thing earlier this year, as advised by SE, because of other glitches). Just about tired of it at this stage.

Thanks though :)

Otacon is right, I was actually talking about the multiple delays rather then the update itself. Btw the update has done nothing but improve my phone so very happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

Very easy to update through the Sony website. Improved the phone immensely but not the battery as much as I hoped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Rho

Hey does any1 know how to add a sms center number my phone wont send messages since i changed my sim. ive tried the sim in other phones and it works fine but it wont let me add the number on my phone does any1 have any ideas im on the 2.1 firmware

• Advertisement
Advertisement