Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Archos 5 and Archos 7 owners, dont throw it away!

• 27-10-2009 2:50am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Seems that the Archos community have finally said 'enough is enough', and a number of threats from a few archos developers have emerged:
    i have grown tired of archos abandoning generation after generation of device. there is talk currently of them releasing a hacker plugin or an alternate firmware, and that is good. but if it turns out to be just talk, i will not be a happy person.

so here it is, my ultimatum. archos, since you have determined to not support your devices, open them up so that other people can. i will wait paitently until the end of september. that gives you 5 weeks. if by the end of those 5 weeks you havent done this, i will start releasing hacks on the first of every month. hacks that you dont want made public.

the first one (oct 1) was moldy cheese, a jailbreak for gen5 devices <= 1.7.13. a proof of concept rootfs was also provided, with free plugins enabled.

the second one (nov 5) will be a similar jailbreak and proof of concept for all gen6 devices.

the third (to be determined) is a permanent jailbreak for flash-locked devices. release of this will be dependant upon archos. it will either come after #2 has had a chance to propagate or after archos flash-locks gen6.

do what is right archos. reclaim some reputation and dont abandon your customers. see you in 39 days...

The gen5 archos' have been cracked wide open and now paves the way for custom code and content easily installed onto the archos 605 and 705.

Then gen6 jailbreak seems to be happening november 5th, but it gets better. Seems the current develops on this are currently working on porting the Android OS from the Archos 5 Internet Tablet thats been recently released, since its the same hardware underneat (ARM processor etc).

Mods not sure if I'm allowed to post links for the current gen5 custom firmware, but if not, feel free to lock this thread :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Pity the 605 hack only works on firmware 1.7.13, which dates back to December 2007 :pac:

There has been like half a dozen FW updates since then, and considering how buggy Archos devices are, i'd say most owners have updated past that FW donkeys years ago. Kinda pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

all a bit late really, but good to see people working on this sort of stuff

I think archos have already suffered by having a closed platform, their products just didn't get developed as they could have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Does anybody know if there are any hacks out for the archos 5 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 archo

Thank you! I was just searching for a jailbreak for the archose. As the other post said I have updated but still held onto the Archos 705 wifi. It sits in the box awaiting an answer. I LOVE IT! It has SO MUCH potential but Archos is more proprietary crazy than Steve Jobs and that's saying a lot.

Please let me know when you release your hack! I love the machine and want to use it. Also I hate to simply recylce such a great machine.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The project has been halted as of last year I'm afraid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bengg

i have an archos 7o internet tablet. bought 3 days ago (if thats any help) i want to jailbreak it. or make it faster any way of doing it??

Advertisement