Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loner in Brisbane - Tips for makin friends?

Options
  • 27-10-2009 5:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭

Howaya

So I'm settled into brisbane now, but I havent made any friends, bar some that have moved on from Brisbane

I have my own apartment. Tried to live with people but didnt get any rooms I went to see. So I've no room mates

Have a job, but dont start til Nov 10th, and I prob wont make many friends there as I think the other people will be a fair bit older than me, but hopefully not all of them

So Im out of ideas of what to do to try make friends, as I wont be in any hostels

Any suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

join a club/go travelling? ;)

nah, seriously.
    boards beers?
    change apartment? can you even rent out a room?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Im in a studio, 6m lease

Dunno what clubs to join. I go the gym, but doin personal training til Xmas, so wouldnt need a gym buddy

Are there any boards beers on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TirEoghain

Well let's organise one. I'd be up for that. Would nearly even go for a drink tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I think you should join coachsufers they always have events on where people new to a city can meet up with other travelers and locals. I've gone to a few events here in Melbourne and meet a number of really nice people and done some cool things I never would have known about on my own.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Join a social club of some sort. Be it hill walking or whatever. But it was a big mistake to take out your own place. Flatshare would have been your best bet at making friends.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Right So

EMERGENCY

BOARDS BRISBANE BEERS

STAT

7.30 PM Friday

Pig n Whistle??

Cant be leavin people feelin all lonley now an we

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Thats Gas was going post the same as Op cept in Melbourne.... Im soo lonley :(

nah just kiddin but finding it hard to meet people here, orginally thought, ah ill meet ppl through work, then, ah ill meet ppl through where i move into, turns out, work with a small team of ppl who dont live close by (like i do), and the place i moved into, is just with one ozzie guy and he aint excatly the life and soul.

Not sure what to do, go to the pubs alone which are frequented by the irish, and hope to get chatting?? bit sad??

Anyways ThReAd HiJaCk :eek: ....... Boards beers in Melbourne anyone?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Doop wrote: »
    Thats Gas was going post the same as Op cept in Melbourne.... Im soo lonley :(... Boards beers in Melbourne anyone?!?

Id be up for it depending on the day.

i'd be up for smellbourne beers too. headin the races this weekend tho so would have to be next weekend at earliest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I'm up for Brisbane beers tomorrow in the Pig n Whistle. Post here if yer going!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 dcuhead

Hey!
    I'm arriving in brisbane in 3 weeks...so drinks then!! In the mean time you should join www.couchsurfing.org and log onto the Brisbane group!

I've been a member for over 2 years and its a godsend...they have regular social events and pub nights so you will make friends in no time! I have been in contact with a few members there already so will have somewhere to stay (for free) when I arrive!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Right then Boards beers Melbourne, sometime next weekend? am also going to the races this weekend, should probably start a new thread....
    ill put it on my to do list for Monday... or else jus keeping using this one!

Fyi melbourne boards beers goin be waaay better than Brisbane's.... not sure what im basing that on but..

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TirEoghain

It probably would be evern better than you're planning if you actually started a new thread to discuss this, rather than hoping Melbourne people will read a thread about Brisbane.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Thanks for all the replies!

I'm a lot better now

I was pretty depressed last weekend after a disappointing visit to the Gold Coast

So now I have a good long term plan and tryin to get out as much as I can
    Gna stick with the gym, do some classes

and head to some gigs

Hopefully Ill make some mates in work, but I'm only 21, hired for my retail exp, and I think the other staff will be a fair bit older. But hopin for the best!

sure no harm in goin to a boards beers either. get in there!! :p

Advertisement