Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakin a Lease

Options
  • 27-10-2009 6:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what happens if ye break a lease in Oz?

I signed a 6 months lease but wanna go home at Xmas, and might not come back, for a few months anyways, circs have changed back home.....

What would happen if I just leave?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

You just lose your bond I presume. Not much else they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Think it depends on how much you have left on your lease at the time you break it. If it's near the end of it, you should be able to just get out of it, but if it's early on, you'll get stung with the costs of readvertising the place and will be expected to pay rent til new tenants are found. I haven't done this myself now but have just heard this from a guy I work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TirEoghain

You night find more information in your lease.

Mine does. It says that if I want to move out, they charge me one week's rent, and then whatever rent up til when they fill the place again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

Talk to your landlord about it, leases/ rental agreements are very much in favour of the tenant in Australia. You can probably legally get out of it and get your bond back with a couple of weeks/ one month's notice. Don't just leave.

• Advertisement
Advertisement