Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SAMSUNG NC10 WHITE SCREEN PROBLEM

• 27-10-2009 6:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Bought the Samsung NC10 Netbook back in March 2009, pound for pound the best machine i have ever used - and I work with computers ++
    Last number of weeks the screen display goes totally white while in use.

This issue can be over come by: tilting the screen forward or backward
    or by adjusting the screen brightness using the function + arrow down

The problem has become more persistent and annoying recently and still remains after a complete system restore to factory default and also a bios upgrade.
    I have also uninstalled easy display, battery manager and other utilities but the white screen continues.
    Other forums suggest that the issues is between the screen ribbon and the motherboard and that the only solutions is to take it back as its under warranty still from argos.

Currently Running Windows XP SP3 + All latest windows updates
    Basic Factory Default install
    2GB Ram upgrade.

Just wondering if anyone else has the same problem

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 kilomike31

I've just started getting the same type of problem and I can tell you for sure that it's a hardware issue. When I change the tilt of the screen the problem occurs.
    I plan to return the unit as it's under guarantee.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Saw this problem today aswell. Under guarantee aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

Also having this issue, is there a fix or do I need to return it for a new one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 wtk2007

I took mine back to argos about a month ago they said someone looked at it and there was nothing wrong with it and of course when I tried to show them the problem in store - the screen never went white. They thought I was some kind of scammer.

I ve been busy since but I intend to take photos and video when i return it in the new year. Guarantee is not up untill march.

I'm still using the machine and can overcome the problem by tilting or adjusting the screen brightness. Gets a bit annoying though.

Problem is a hardware issue and a hell of a lot of people will have the same problem soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Does this happen to all NC10s? Mine is only 3 months old, bought it in PC World, and a few times the screen has gone white with lines down it for a few seconds, but fixes itself. Will this become more regular? If I bring it back to PC World will they have to send it away for weeks? Can't do without a laptop at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭ronano

This issue usually tends to just be connections being a bit loose inside the screen,you can open it open,fiddle and close it back up and should be fine. I had same problem but it disappeared with a lil fiddling,it most likely voids warrenty tho here are some threads from a samsung forum. A guy posted a solution in this one

http://www.sammynetbook.com/plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?32464.0

My warranty is up in March and the screen issue is only intermittent now. I get so much use out of the NC10 I have come to live with it. The pluses out weigh this one minus. I must give that new solution posted on my sammy netbook a go, looks worth a try.
    Oh yeah one more thing -NEVER BUY FROM PC WORLD - Charlatans

http://bocktherobber.com/2008/02/pc-world-sold-me-a-piece-of-****
    Got stung by them a few years back.:(

Followed those instructions and removed the Front LCD screen cover had a fiddle with the cable connecting the LCD screen to the board. No problems a few hours on with screen brightness up to the max in both XP and Windows 7.

I think that the bottom left corner of the screen where the cable is becomes loose over time with persistent opening and closing of the lid causing pressure on the cable or even range of movement and this causes the problem.

A first step before dismantling your lcd screen would be to just tighten the screws located just below the screen particularly the one on the left.

I ll keep you all up to date with the progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Dindane

wtk2007 wrote: »
    I took mine back to argos about a month ago they said someone looked at it and there was nothing wrong with it and of course when I tried to show them the problem in store - the screen never went white. They thought I was some kind of scammer.

Exactly the same thing has happened to me, left it with a repair guy I know for a week... no trouble at all.

Quick question - does the white screen happen with you when it is on batteries or plugged in? It only happens with me when it is plugged in....

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭nursextreme

Dindane wrote: »
    Exactly the same thing has happened to me, left it with a repair guy I know for a week... no trouble at all.

Quick question - does the white screen happen with you when it is on batteries or plugged in? It only happens with me when it is plugged in....

Screen used to go white both plugged in an unplugged in.
    I solved it - its a common enough problem due to the screen ribon between the main board and the screen. The NC 10 model the screen also folds back nearly completely flat and issues changed in more recent models.

Basically the screen ribbon cable is being pinched near the left hinge.
    You can fix it your self easily.

1. Remove the battery.

2. Peel off the little rubber pads from the four corners of the face of the lid and unscrew the corresponding four screws.

3. Using a pocket knife or similar object, peel the face off the lid. There are places along the top where some sort of adhesive keeps it together. Elsewhere, the are snaps that pop open as you peel the face off. Do not be alarmed.

4. Unscrew the four screws at the base of the LCD panel, freeing the panel from the hinges. Commence handling the LCD panel. Notice where the cable flattens out and adheres to the back of the panel, Have some fun peeling the first inch or so of it off and sticking it back on.

5. Go on and re-insert the battery and fire up your computer. Without any safety precautions, proceed to dork around with the wiring. Once you have confirmed that your problem is solved, find a nice way to lace the wiring into place and screw the LCD panel back on.

6. Continue staring at the computer screen. Turn the brigness up to full blast and have a sandwich. Enjoy the computer. If the problem is still fixed, shut the computer down, remove the battery and screw everything back together.

The key is lacing the wiring from the screen ribbon back in with out it getting pinched by the hinges.

God luck

If fixed mine months ago and no more white screens:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Dindane wrote: »

It may only happen when plugged in because for some reason the brighter the screen, the more likely this is to happen.

I bought my NC10 about 18 months ago now, and I got it because I wanted a small portable laptop for travelling for a year and all the reviews around the NC10 seem to say this is one of the finest netbooks money can buy.

I started getting the white screen problem after about a year and I also find the wireless quite annoying, it can detect wireless signals but sometimes is impossible to connect. (I've had this problem several times over the last year whilst travelling, sometimes it just corrects it's self over time, sometimes it is literally impossible to connect despite a strong signal strength and sometimes it's just normal and works).

It was cheap enough, but I still would expect more fromt he machine to be honest. Someone on this thread said pound for pound it's the best machine they've used, but to be honest, with basic flaws such as the screen in seemingly every single one needing repair within the first year, maybe my expectations are just too high.

Pro's for this machine are the excellent battery life, compact and light, excellent back-up system with split hard drive where you can "save" a setup status and can then later format the computer back to that point at any stage in case software becomes corrupt or you get a virus, keyboard is big for a laptop it's size, micro SD reader, 3 USB ports, good functionality from the keyboard, only other con I suppose is the touchpad which is small and has a scroller incorporated at the side with no seperation, which can be annoying when you are browsing and this is activated when you don't want it to be.

Has anyone else experienced problems similar to mine other than the screen?

If it wasn't for the screen and the wireless I would highly recommend this machine, but those two issues are enough for me to say I probably would have gone for something else if buying again.

Advertisement