Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ministerial security - a different spin on the expeneses debate

Options
  • 27-10-2009 6:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,435 ✭✭✭✭

So, ministers have a Garda driver as their day-to-day security. If they are at a public engagement, they will tend to have 3 gardaí in attendence, possibly more on the perimiter depending on the location / crowd.

The Taoiseach and Minister for Justice will have more than that. One event I was at, there were at least a dozen gardaí (that one could see) for Bertie. But then, students are a bolshy lot.

So how come these ministers will swan around the world, with only a Press Advisor and a Private Secretary? Now, I'm sure if there is a hint of real threat, e.g. Michael Martin in Sudan, there will either be a Garda or Defence Forces close protection team, but whats to stop a minister being custard-pied in his hotel while on some random trip?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Never had much issue with the garda driver to be honest - not practical or efficient for Ministers to drive themselves.

The Gardai at Minesterial engagements would be the local lads..there to keep a bit of order for the television cameras and to prevent the local screwballs from having their 10 minutes of fame.

As for the foreign trips..our boys and girls are pretty anonymous outside of the Island and having a couple of red faced plods in close attendance would only draw attention.....not to mention cramping a few styles ..if you get me ?

No need really.

Leave them to their pencil licking and ball scratchin in whatever station they are attached to.

Hmmmm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Victor wrote: »
    So how come these ministers will swan around the world, with only a Press Advisor and a Private Secretary? Now, I'm sure if there is a hint of real threat, e.g. Michael Martin in Sudan, there will either be a Garda or Defence Forces close protection team, but whats to stop a minister being custard-pied in his hotel while on some random trip?

security would be a responsibility of the country they were visiting

foreign politicians are protected here by gardai etc (obviously based on an appropriate threat level)

sometimes things are different (e.g. American president etc) and foreign people bring protection also but the above generally applies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

a protection team does nothing for the protectee, infact its a pain in the arse. the deluded might get an ego trip out of having a protection team but - apart from keeping them alive - a protection team doesn't make life easier or more comfortable. so its not a 'perk'.

Advertisement