Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheamus thread. ***most recent Raw/PPV spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭The Cannibal

I doubt it goes more than 10 minutes. Brawl all over, Sheamus goes through every move he has, tease a few table spots, Cena does his comeback routine and an Attitude Adjustment through a table.

Maybe Sheamus to lay him out after if they want to keep him strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

The other thing to think about, is that he can be kept strong at both Royal Rumble, and Elimination Chamber, without being exposed, or having to carry an entire match. Then at Mania, he could well be in MITB. Could work out well for him, providing they're smart about this upcoming PPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Well he's not going to win, we know this. They should give him a very strong run in to the PPV anyway. Let him get one over Cena on each Raw leading up to it. The Cena fans will be dying for the revenge at TLC and Sheamus gets a nice rub off the mini-feud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Fairs ****s to Sheamus, some going for someone who was stinking up IwW rings all over the country against the likes of Pierre Marceaux a few years ago, now he's main eventing a PPV for the title against John Cena? Jesus tis some going. Keep her country Sheamus bai, Maith thu

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

This is Great.

Sheamus is a great Pro and worked his ass off.

He deserves a chance, he has worked for WWE for a good while now if you count developmental time.

There is no better way of establishing a guy as a threat than the way WWE have done so the last month with Sheamus. They even had Lawler say he would normally go after a guy who beat him up, but he's not going after Sheamus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Poor Sheamus, that crowd really couldn't have cared less. I think the Table stip may hinder rather than help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Cena V Sheamus is new and face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Poor Sheamus, that crowd really couldn't have cared less. I think the Table stip may hinder rather than help.

in fairness it wasnt much of a crowd all night tho

in fairness it wasnt much of a crowd all night tho

And what does that say about the future of WWE? The crowd doesn't care about a show based around new talent in main events which is unfortunate. WWE have done a terrible job of making any of their younger talent look legitamate. Though I hope this really helps Sheamus but for some reason I can see this going down the line of Miz/Cena.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

Like I said in the Raw thread I don't like this at all. The man just does nothing for me. Pushing new guys is all well and good but there's plenty of guys who should've got the push ahead of him. He's done nothing to impress me in the ring. Even the mighty Goldust only got a 'meh' match out of him, his look just looks too forced and cartoonish, weak on the mic and hearing about his new best friend just before this big push doesn't come across well to me.

Oh, and before someone accuses me of "Irish begrudgery", him being Irish has nothing to do with any of my opinions. I'd be saying the same thing were he from Russia/China/Brazil/Timbuktu.. take your pick.

• Advertisement

And since when is he unbeaten? Hasn't Goldust pinned him?

And what does that say about the future of WWE? The crowd doesn't care about a show based around new talent in main events which is unfortunate. WWE have done a terrible job of making any of their younger talent look legitamate. Though I hope this really helps Sheamus but for some reason I can see this going down the line of Miz/Cena.

what about Kofi? you can hardly say the WWE havent put him over properly, infact they've done a tremendous job..

what about Kofi? you can hardly say the WWE havent put him over properly, infact they've done a tremendous job..

Of course and it shows what a sustained push can do for somebody when associated with a main eventer. But it won't work if WWE only spend a couple of weeks pushing new guys and then go back to the tried and trusted. Who thinks that at WrestleMania the likes of Kofi, Sheamus and Jo Mo won't just be lumped into MITB rather than being in featured matches?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,258 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

krudler wrote: »
    Cena usually needs someone to carry him through his matches

no he doesn't.

this is a myth.

see RVD at ONS '06 for the prime example.

Of course and it shows what a sustained push can do for somebody when associated with a main eventer. But it won't work if WWE only spend a couple of weeks pushing new guys and then go back to the tried and trusted. Who thinks that at WrestleMania the likes of Kofi, Sheamus and Jo Mo won't just be lumped into MITB rather than being in featured matches?

This is my fear too. But at the same time, while it's just right to not go over the top with praise(fast-tracking is completely pointless when you lay the blame on the performer, and demote them the instant a crowd don't care)... It's hardly fair to be completely without postitives before they do what you're saying and backtrack completely. What they've done with Kofi is as fair an indicator as any lately, of their long-term intent.

logically they will be in MITB, but then again whos to say one of them wont win the rumble? and when someone else wins MITB thts another guy who'll be made..at the end of the day the wwe needs the benefit of the doubt, currently there pushing people like never before, and obviously know that they need new main eventers right now,Batista,HHH, HBK, Undertaker, Edge, Mysterio are all nearing the end of there careers/injury prone

• Registered Users Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Can we please stop about the begrudgery stuff about those who don’t give two ****s about Sheamus?
    The guy should not be pushed harder than Drew, Swagger,Ryder Miz or even Ziggler because he is not as good as those guys, well done for him doing so well but his fans need to get of their high horse and realise that some are not that big of fans as him as they are.:)

This is my fear too. But at the same time, while it's just right to not go over the top with praise(fast-tracking is completely pointless when you lay the blame on the performer, and demote them the instant a crowd don't care)... It's hardly fair to be completely without postitives before they do what you're saying and backtrack completely. What they've done with Kofi is as fair an indicator as any lately, of their long-term intent.

I wasn't blaming the talent. Pushing new guys is a long term commitment. My point was that after months of the likes of Swagger and Bourne being treated terribly you can't just turn around and push them to the moon. WWE pushing Sheamus now will mean nothing if they don't continue to get behind him in January and beyond.

I wasn't blaming the talent. Pushing new guys is a long term commitment. My point was that after months of the likes of Swagger and Bourne being treated terribly you can't just turn around and push them to the moon. WWE pushing Sheamus now will mean nothing if they don't continue to get behind him in January and beyond.

I think you misunderstood what i was saying?
    fast-tracking is completely pointless when you lay the blame on the performer, and demote them the instant a crowd don't care
    I was agreeing with you that the WWE's approach is worthless if this is what happens. Sorry- that "You" did seem directed at yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

SlickRic wrote: »
    no he doesn't.

this is a myth.

see RVD at ONS '06 for the prime example.

That match was made by the crowd, not Cena. Cena can have decent matches working with the right opponent, but as a top level star a lot of his performances suck, he still cant throw a convincing punch after what, 7 years in the company? and his selling is awful in nearly every match, he's near death at one stage then sprightly as you like a second later, basic ring psychology but it seems lost on him. I've really enjoyed a lot of Cena's matches, his brawl with Umaga at the 2007 Rumble is his career highlight imo

• Advertisement

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Can we please stop about the begrudgery stuff about those who don’t give two ****s about Sheamus?
    The guy should not be pushed harder than Drew, Swagger,Ryder Miz or even Ziggler because he is not as good as those guys, well done for him doing so well but his fans need to get of their high horse and realise that some are not that big of fans as him as they are.:)

Why shouldn't he be pushed harder than someone else?

Sheamus is a big "Fella", he works hard and does whats asked of him well. It doesn't matter if the other guys are considered better than sheamus in the ring or someone is better on the Mic.

Sheamus is differant. He is perfectly placed to give Cena a one month feud for a gimmick match at a gimmick pay per view before the road to Wrestlemania kicks into gear. It is a sensible move for WWE to give him a chance now as he can be a threat in the rumble and provides new blood for the elimination chamber match.

What it comes down to, for me anyway, is that no matter who WWE picked to face Cena outside the old reliables the new Guy is not going to win.

So why put Miz in that position again or Ziggler after he lost to Jo Mo again? It is a good idea to put the spotlight on someone else rather than someone who already had the spotlight turned off them before. Next time Miz comes into contact with the Cena's of the WWE he needs to be winning or there is no point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'd love to see him get the belt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

I'd actually be interested in peoples opinions of this, ignoring Sheamus is Irish and that you've known him for years. Genuinely interested if people here would think along the same lines as they are if the first they knew of him was his Raw debut like most probably would have. I wasn't around at the time but were people as positive when Koslov was getting pushed?

Jolt2007 wrote: »
    I'd actually be interested in peoples opinions of this, ignoring Sheamus is Irish and that you've known him for years. Genuinely interested if people here would think along the same lines as they are if the first they knew of him was his Raw debut like most probably would have. I wasn't around at the time but were people as positive when Koslov was getting pushed?

I don't know him. All I know is what I have watched on WWE TV and that Sheamus worked his butt off.

I am impressed with the work Sheamus has done. Not sure anyone was impressed with Vlad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

well i was watching with one eye open last night when i was treated to this Battle Royal w/ Jesse Ventura n Vince on commentary, what a throwback 20 frickin years! n when i saw Seamus in there.. playing the coy game i had a sneaky feeling he was written down to win.. - but then i saw Orton prowling on the fringes :(

but wtf our own fella WINS! .. what if he's scripted in to beat Cena regardless of that right-wing milit-twat taking it right back as part of a feud we'll have a WWF/E CHAMPION up there with Hogan, Savage, Austin this is HUGE! biggest thing in showbiz, forget poxy Jedward!

n i think Seamus has a BIG future in the WWE. looks the part, only genuine white guy in there so unique in that sense n cast a that loveable rogue he has classic wrestler stamped all over him tbh - long-term WWE future i hope

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭The Cannibal

And since when is he unbeaten? Hasn't Goldust pinned him?

I actually went through his win/loss last week to see if he was doing a Goldberg. He has 1 loss on Superstars but it was only a DQ cause he kept kicking the crap out of the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Jolt2007 wrote: »

The thing is, Koslov has no personality and sucks on the mic. All he did when in the main event fueds was stare from the stage, then run down, headbutt someone and walk out.

Sheamus is after throwing Cena through a table! He's good on the mic. He has a very unique look and plays a brilliant heel. He has retired Jamie Noble, kicked Jerry Lawler and as I said, threw Cena, the WWE champion, through a table minutes after winning a title shot.

I knew nothing about Sheamus before he debuted on ECW (I'd heard the name, but little else). Okay, he's Irish, but that doesn't matter to me. He's obviously a guy with a lot of passion and respect for the industry. According to HHH, he works really hard and shows a lot of dedication. Irish or not, I'm excited to see what he can do with Cena

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

That match was made by the crowd, not Cena. Cena can have decent matches working with the right opponent, but as a top level star a lot of his performances suck, he still cant throw a convincing punch after what, 7 years in the company? and his selling is awful in nearly every match, he's near death at one stage then sprightly as you like a second later, basic ring psychology but it seems lost on him. I've really enjoyed a lot of Cena's matches, his brawl with Umaga at the 2007 Rumble is his career highlight imo

Ugh, 2005 called, it wants its ill-founded opinions of Cena back. Cena is an amazing performer, he most certainly does not need to be carried to have a good match. How do you explain his great match with Khali? Or are you saying the worst wrestler in living memory carried him?

As for his so called "basic lack of psychology", main event babyfaces from Hogan to Kobashi to Sting to Kurt Angle have been producing similar comebacks for decades. Its nothing new.

With regards Seamus, theres a part of me delighted to see him going so well. What a rise from IWW to maineventing a WWE PPV. But it rrally is just too fast a push. There was total silence at the end of RAW, not one person in the audience saw him as anything close to a threat to the title. You need to give people a reason to care about a wrestler before he's thrust into a feud with your top star. While I'm absolutely delighted to see the focus being put on guys like Seamus and Kofiu, theres also a way to make them seem important. As far as 99% if the audience is concerned, all Seamus is is a new guy who powerbomber Jamie Noble a few weeks ago. they know nothing more about him. They even went so far as to have Cena say as much in his promo.

While I agree in principle with pushing new talent, the execution in this case is horrible and I fear he'll suffer more from this in the long term than benefit from it.

the punch thing, yes, that p*sses me off no end.

you do also realise he's booked as 'Superman'? the selling does get to me, but i genuinely think that's how he is booked. someone needs to realise it's stupid though. imo he'd have been pulled up on it now if he was really in the wrong on that.

ONS was made by the crowd, but also watch Cena's performance through it. he was immense, much better than RVD, who in my opinion pretty much phoned it in.

his Umaga series was good, and in particular that brawl you speak of.

he wasn't carried by Shawn in the one-hour Raw match 2 years ago either.

nor against Khali.

nor in his feud with Edge.

HHH carried him a while back in the day (though that was probably more to do with HHH's ego ;)), as did Shawn at WM 23. Jericho did at the start of his career, and Angle did during their series.

his Orton series has certainly not been all Orton either, although imo opinion he has been the more impressive performer in their feuds.

as i said, the 'Cena can't wrestle' thing is a myth.

in the words of Ric Flair,

"he's the future of this industry. he can drink and he can wrestle!"

• Advertisement

oh he also carried that lump Lashley to easily his best ever match.

i almost gave a sh*t about Bobby by the end.

Advertisement