Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheamus thread. ***most recent Raw/PPV spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

SlickRic wrote: »
    oh he also carried that lump Lashley to easily his best ever match.

i almost gave a sh*t about Bobby by the end.

Great point.

Reading Brets Book and lost count of how many times bret writes vince asked me to make X look good.

Cena may well be getting asked the same questions. Khali, Lashley, even Orton (HHH couldn't make him look good for whatever reason).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

cena can wrestle if they allow him to like they did againist hbk in london for an hour but when hes booked like superman he becomes terrible imo i just think the booking lets him down

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Two things annoy me about Cena, his punches and when he does that annoying dead sell but other than that Cena has been one of the most consistently good wrestlers in recent times. As flahavaj, he carried Khali to a good match (I wouldn't quite go great) and is the only guy in WWE that I can remember that made Lashley look good. Cena deserves every single bit of success he has gotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

hmm.. actually, having just seen the signing - that was f'n great btw, classic Jesse they could do with him on board again - our boy could well be in line for a Vlad style stint. no comeback having rose to prominence / become no.1 enemy too quick.. but surely he's down for a quick champion stint? then relegated back to ECW; can't ask for more than that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,258 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

sky88 wrote: »
    when hes booked like superman he becomes terrible imo i just think the booking lets him down

absolutely.

but this is WWE's fault.

not Cena's.

he can wrestle any match just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

HBK's chops annoy me a helluva lot more than Cena's punches I have to
    say.

Star Bingo wrote: »
    hmm.. actually, having just seen the signing - that was f'n great btw, classic Jesse they could do with him on board again - our boy could well be in line for a Vlad style stint. no comeback having rose to prominence / become no.1 enemy too quick.. but surely he's down for a quick champion stint? then relegated back to ECW; can't ask for more than that ;)

It was an interesting contract signing.

Most of them are fast forward TV. But Jesse was great. Sheamus did his job well too.

I think it was said already but raising Sheamus' profile now could be very smart as he is in a good spot to be in 4 big mathes at the next 4 PPVs. Tables match at TLC, Rumble match at the rumble or a Cena rematch, Elimination Chamber at said PPV and then the MITB ladder match. If WWE did that he could live off his raised profile for sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

am not the greatest at forecasting scripts but yer probably more on the money than myself. i doubt the yanks will want to treat him like a russian of all things.. he still wears a smile n has a fanbase whereas lets face it Khoslov, as a grimacing russian, has... - well; too few in america.

see what happens anyhow. 3 weeks..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

flahavaj wrote: »
    HBK's chops annoy me a helluva lot more than Cena's punches I have to
    say.

hbks weak superkick always did it for me, a hbk superkick will keep HHH down for 10 mins, while stevie richards much more powerful looking superkick wouldn't keep trips down for a 1 count :(

Answer to the question nobody asked

What did JR have to say?
    "Sheamus has found himself in a great spot to help begin building his long term foundation in WWE. I read where some pundits felt the incident between the young Irishman and John Cena was "flat." I disagree. Obviously, the crowd sitting in their seats over three hours is challenging, has an influence but isn't the real reason. However, let's all remember that Sheamus hasn't been on Raw in any significant role for, what, a month, 5 weeks? Sheamus has not even been in a long term personal issue with a main event, Raw wrestler yet...until now. Bottom line is that Sheamus' persona is still evolving and the next two weeks and then TLC is highly important to Sheamus' development. At worst, the WWE has made a new, fresh main event for a PPV and from where I sit that is a good thing.

• Advertisement

I wasn't blaming the talent. Pushing new guys is a long term commitment. My point was that after months of the likes of Swagger and Bourne being treated terribly you can't just turn around and push them to the moon. WWE pushing Sheamus now will mean nothing if they don't continue to get behind him in January and beyond.

its funny you mention bourne, on another site i post on someone worked out the win-loss records of the wwe guys in 2009, amazingly bourne has the second best record after cena

Evan Bourne: 73 singles matches (58-15-0, 79%) (55 clean wins + 3 wins via DQ/CO + 15 clean losses + 0 losses via DQ/CO + 0 draws.)

rossie1977 wrote: »
    hbks weak superkick always did it for me, a hbk superkick will keep HHH down for 10 mins, while stevie richards much more powerful looking superkick wouldn't keep trips down for a 1 count :(

I always loved how HBK would literally hit it out of nowhere though.

Marufuji's Superkick beats them both hands down though.:pac:

Those Bourne stats are stunning. He'd be like Hogan in Gabe's new promotion. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

I think that's definitely a sign that nobody gives a crap about win/loss records, and that winning on Superstars is a waste of time, when Orton/HHH/whomever, pins you in less than two minutes on Raw.

Poor Bourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

its funny you mention bourne, on another site i post on someone worked out the win-loss records of the wwe guys in 2009, amazingly bourne has the second best record after cena

Evan Bourne: 73 singles matches (58-15-0, 79%) (55 clean wins + 3 wins via DQ/CO + 15 clean losses + 0 losses via DQ/CO + 0 draws.)

And yet the crowd really don't give a crap about him. A lot of that came on ECW aswell though and the move to Raw has been terrible for him. He was a star on ECW.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dickmcsavage

I think it's great that Seamus is in the main event... C'mon Ireland! I couldn't believe it when he won the battle royal. I thought it was a given that Kofi would win but I think Kofi V Cena wouldn't make too much sense right now.
    Anyways I don't know if it was mentioned here earlier but this may be the reason that Seamus is getting such a push:
    Powerslam magazine UK: Taken from an interview with Triple H conducted by Danny Flexen
    Finally, are you mentoring any WWE wrestler in particular? And whom do you see the most of a young Triple H?
    The closest to me is probably Seamus, because we always train together on the road. But I try to watch all the young guy's matches and give them advice, if they want to hear it. If they take advice to heart and really want to improve, then I'm wanting to help.
    As for seeing some of myself in someone? That's tough. Seamus just the other day showed up at a show he didn't have to be at. He does whatever he's asked to do without complaining, he goes to every show and is always wanting to work: he does it all, goes above and beyond. That's what I was like.

Also in the same magazine there's an interview with Stephanie where she speaks about the oversea's markets and the WWE's aim to expand in those markets by building stars from those countries. This suggests to me that Seamus is a big part of this and therefore will most likely be kept in the upper mid card once his program with Cena is done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

Ireland really isn't a big enough market for that to hold true me thinks. Why not sign and propell a German to ME?

Ireland really isn't a big enough market for that to hold true me thinks. Why not sign and propell a German to ME?

Or a Chinaman. Sure there's a billion of them.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

If Seamus wasn't Irish I'd probably view him as only slightly more interesting than Kozlov, but just as much out of his depth.

Bt he is Irish, so I hope Big Red smashes Cena through a table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

i wonder does he read boards? or would he ever make a guest apperance back in dublin where he got started?

jayoo wrote: »
    i wonder does he read boards? or would he ever make a guest apperance back in dublin where he got started?

I think that bridge has been well and truly burned.:pac:

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »
    Or a Chinaman. Sure there's a billion of them.:pac:

or an indian, oh wait they did that :p

there are 36 million americans that claim irish ancestry, so i wouldn't say that market is too small

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

there are 36 million americans that claim irish ancestry, so i wouldn't say that market is too small

Also when they think of Ireland they think UK/Ireland.

Means nothing. Next.
    Also when they think of Ireland they think UK/Ireland

So Seamus or any Irish wrestler will increase interest in WWE the UK? You must be taking the piss.

Means nothing. Next.

So Seamus or any Irish wrestler will increase interest in WWE the UK? You must be taking the piss.

irony.jpg

dsmythy wrote: »
    Also when they think of Ireland they think UK/Ireland.

its funny i was conversing with an american fan on another board last night

Him: i much prefer that other irish guy instead of sheamus
    me: you mean finlay
    Him: no, the guy that looks like a young HHH
    Me: drew but he is scottish
    Him: scottish/irish all the same to me

well wwe is on another planet if they think pushing a scottish wrestler will impact on the minds of english people or pushing an irish wrestler will impact on british people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭MickL

Jolt2007 wrote: »
    Like I said in the Raw thread I don't like this at all. The man just does nothing for me. Pushing new guys is all well and good but there's plenty of guys who should've got the push ahead of him. He's done nothing to impress me in the ring. Even the mighty Goldust only got a 'meh' match out of him, his look just looks too forced and cartoonish, weak on the mic and hearing about his new best friend just before this big push doesn't come across well to me.

Oh, and before someone accuses me of "Irish begrudgery", him being Irish has nothing to do with any of my opinions. I'd be saying the same thing were he from Russia/China/Brazil/Timbuktu.. take your pick.

why did you name 3 countrys, and then a city?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Sounds like a pretty ****ty flame war.

Anyway, just finished RAW. AWESOME. I'm a big fan of Seamus, but I'm hugely biased. I dunno, I'm quite happy to see British wrestlers (well, non-American/Canadian/Mexican) because it represents the rest of the world in 'American' wrestling. I enjoyed seeing the Bulldog as tag/euro/ic champion because he was from the other side of the pond, even though I'm not British.

(I don't care for Kozlov or Khali, though...or Alex Wright lol)

I'm so happy for Seamus, to think of him in IWW just a few years ago...now he's in a title shot...I thought his speech wasn't great at the end of RAW (he could've used much more Dub-speak 'I'm gonna batter ya' or something) but overall I'm really happy. I had it kinda ruined by going on to the wrestling page before seeing RAW...when Sheamus' name was up, i knew something big went down :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

well wwe is on another planet if they think pushing a scottish wrestler will impact on the minds of english people or pushing an irish wrestler will impact on british people.

I would tend to agree.

A scots wrestler will not sell in England.
    An Irish wrestler has no chance of making it big in Scotland. This sectarian backwater will not entertain a "celtic warrior" from Dubiln. A certain football clubs fans will boycott the product.
    I dont think an Irish wrestler will increase brand popularity in England.

My experience of Americans is UK=England, Ireland= Ireland 32counties and Scotland is Scotland.

I think the Stephanie discussing wwe expanding overseas would be to untapped and underperforming markets rather than the UK and Irish markets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭smilerf

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Sounds like a pretty ****ty flame war.

Anyway, just finished RAW. AWESOME. I'm a big fan of Seamus, but I'm hugely biased. I dunno, I'm quite happy to see British wrestlers (well, non-American/Canadian/Mexican) because it represents the rest of the world in 'American' wrestling. I enjoyed seeing the Bulldog as tag/euro/ic champion because he was from the other side of the pond, even though I'm not British.

(I don't care for Kozlov or Khali, though...or Alex Wright lol)

I'm so happy for Seamus, to think of him in IWW just a few years ago...now he's in a title shot...I thought his speech wasn't great at the end of RAW (he could've used much more Dub-speak 'I'm gonna batter ya' or something) but overall I'm really happy. I had it kinda ruined by going on to the wrestling page before seeing RAW...when Sheamus' name was up, i knew something big went down :(
    that was my fault im afraid sorry about that i hadnt seen raw and was unaware it was a spoiler

Advertisement