Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about buying in Tyrelstown

Options
  • 27-10-2009 8:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

Am just wondering what it is like to live in Tyrelstown, as am thinking about buying in the area. I havent seen any houses just yet, just been checking them out on Daft, hope to view a few this week. What are the houses like and the general area, is it a nice area, cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

It's relatively quite, not too much goes on and if it does, you'll hear about it through the Tyrrelstown Community website, http://www.tyrrelstown.org/ There's a decent bunch of people there who may be able to help you, but of course there's the odd messer who won't give you a straight answer. There's a decent little village there where you can get most things you need for day to day living but some people will argue that it's 'isolated'. I wouldn't agree with that, it's served by 4 buses I think, 40D, 38C (not too regular), one that goes to the centre (even less regular) and the Ur Bus that goes from Swords via the airport to Castleknock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

I like Tyrellstown!

It is a nicely laid out town! and the amenities are great..... good shops and a nice playground.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Where do you work?
    Have you factored in commuting times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

What part of Tyrrelstown are you thinking about going to?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭theT

need a wee bit of info on Tyrellstown if anyone can help, looking into buying a house up there and hoping someone can give me a feel for the area. schools ,noise, vandilism and that sort of stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I live there. Area is pretty good, very quiet. We got 8 trick or treaters last year for halloween that tells you how quiet it is.

I have seen the odd bit of graffitti here and there, but nothing too major.

There's an educate together right beside Tyrrelstown, thats all I really know about it.

Buses are good to the city centre, once off the road works around Ballycoolin indl estate is complete it should be a lot faster. Buses to the shopping centre are pretty though, they come only 5 or 6 times a day.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

you might get a better response in the Dublin 15 Forum :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Going to be a nice little ghetto in a few years..terrible infastructure and a widely-reported "white flight" from the schools.

Degsy, you quite simply don't know what you're talking about, and it's plainly obvious you've no idea what the area is like.

Any links to these reports, which you say are widely reported, which somehow I have missed despite living in Dublin 15 and read all the local papers and issues. Do these 'widely reported' reports go any further than your head or bar talk ?

OP, take no notice of what the guy has to say, he wouldn't be known as a constructive poster around here, just take a look at his previous posts, he has a fascination with the insult thread which says it all.

Have a look at the previous Tyrrelstown thread on this forum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Degsy, this isnt After Hours so those sort of comments wont be tolerated here. If you've nothing constructive to say, go away.

• Advertisement

Gaspode wrote: »
    Degsy, this isnt After Hours so those sort of comments wont be tolerated here. If you've nothing constructive to say, go away.

Oh you want me to back it up then?
    No problem.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/schools-warn-of--white-flight-of-students-1200203.html

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055168648

http://www.irishtimes.com/premium/loginpage
    http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135370

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUUD7MqxmxE

Is that (and the fact that i was looking to buy there once) enough for you?

references to my previous posts anywhere else arent relevant either.

Jip wrote: »
    It's relatively quite, not too much goes on and if it does, you'll hear about it through the Tyrrelstown Community website, http://www.tyrrelstown.org/ There's a decent bunch of people there who may be able to help you, but of course there's the odd messer who won't give you a straight answer. There's a decent little village there where you can get most things you need for day to day living but some people will argue that it's 'isolated'. I wouldn't agree with that, it's served by 4 buses I think, 40D, 38C (not too regular), one that goes to the centre (even less regular) and the Ur Bus that goes from Swords via the airport to Castleknock.

In the middle of nowhere and the "bus service" is appalling..

Degsy wrote: »

Last video was really interesting. Anyways, new housing development will always attract foreign nationals.

The new developments havnt attracted foreign nationals as such..many of the dwellings were purchased by "by-to-let" landlords and rented through the local authorities or privatley.
    By and large the foreign nationals are renting and not buying so this will always give an intransient feel to a neighbourhood as well as possible delinquency issues etc.
    I also found the tyrellstown property to be hugely expensive given its lack of amenities and its isolated location.
    We were quoted in excess of 500k for a standard 3 bed semi detached house only two years ago.The same money would have bought a mature property in the 4 bed range in somewhere like drumcondra.
    Anybody who bought property at that sort of pricing is going to find them completely unsaleable..tyrrelstown,ongar and adamstown are projects that will never be completed and never equate to good value OR good locations.

It is a pretty quiet area, good shops locally and not far from Blanchardstown shopping centres, few bus routes to choose from and all in all, a very nice area.

Check out www.tyrrelstown.net for a local website.

Degsy wrote: »
    In the middle of nowhere and the "bus service" is appalling..

I hardly think that being roughly 45 mins away from town is the middle of nowhere. The buses run to timetable and get you there on time, how is that appalling? There are 4 routes to choose from too.

<SNIP> Mod Edit - No personal abuse allowed. PLease read the charter</SNIP>

Eh, that's about Dublin 15 in general, and is the same for all of west Dublin.

What further amenities would you like to see in the area that are in this other utopia you seem to have found yourself ? And your claim that you were quoted in excess of $500k for a semi in the area 2 years ago is a gross exaggeration, if it was a private sale the seller was chancing their arm and has no relevance to the area.

SNIP

Okay cheers :D

The 40D is fine, once the road works around Ballycoolin is sorted out, it will be faster. However, the 38C to Blanchardstown SC is a joke.

• Advertisement

And your claim that you were quoted in excess of $500k for a semi in the area 2 years ago is a gross exaggeration, if it was a private sale the seller was chancing their arm and has no relevance to the area.

So i'm a liar now am i?
    It was a new house that they hadnt built yet..this was an off the plans sale..there was almost nobody there and the vendor was sitting there twiddling her thumbs.
    If i remember correctly the exact price was 520k..our budget was just under 500 and even then it seemed like an utter rip-off.
    Check here to see whats happened to the prices since...and look at the "special offers"..they're trying to sell off groups of houses as well as individual lots.

I never said you're a liar, maybe just a little naive. You do realise that every area in the country had ridiculous house prices at the height of the boom don't you, Tyrrelstown was no different than anywhere else at the time. And it's now different no in the developer offering incentives to buy there.

And to save anyone else having to click each of your links, why don't you highlight for us each paragraph etc that concerns Tyrrelstown ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Degsy and Jip - final warning to both of you; please remain on topic, if you want to have a row take it to pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The 40d route isn't bad hell it will get you into the ity centre quicker then the 38/39.
    There are some shops and facilities but you really have to have a car to get to an from everything.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    The 40d route isn't bad hell it will get you into the ity centre quicker then the 38/39.
    There are some shops and facilities but you really have to have a car to get to an from everything.

I think the 40D is a pretty good route. To be honest, I don't have a car and I manage ok :) The Urbus is pretty decent too.

creggy wrote: »
    The 40D is fine, once the road works around Ballycoolin is sorted out, it will be faster. However, the 38C to Blanchardstown SC is a joke.

The 38C doesn't go to Blanchardstown SC, The 236 does, however I usually get the Urbus to the shopping centre. I think its great and cheap too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭brigadear

I work in town, and commute by bus. Was thinking about Bealing mews.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Thaedydal wrote: »

To and from everything? What else do you need of there are shops and facilities.

I used to live there - had an apartment (moved to house elsewhere in D15 when I got married)

I think it is a lovely area. I commuted in and out of town no problem.

TBH I found all the different nationalities living there gave it a wonderful cultural feel....

I'm still up and down to T'stown (to Lidl etc). It is growing into itself well -better than Ongar for example imo.. The builders seemed to invest a lot in planting and it is showing now...

There is a thread from a couple of months here I think, I remember commenting before.

<SNIP> Med edit - stick to the topic </SNIP>

brigadear wrote: »
    I work in town, and commute by bus. Was thinking about Bealing mews.

Its pretty okay by there

• Advertisement

I have merged the 2 Tyrellstown threads started this month into one.
    Please remain on topic, if you have anything to say about this area good bad or indifferent, feel free but stick to the facts.

Advertisement