Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about buying in Tyrelstown

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭brigadear

Thanks for the info, but I have to wonder does anybody that posted actually live in Tyrellstown, a lot of conflicting opinions, cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

How do you know none of the posters don't live there ? Alot of people like to give out as little information as possible on public forums so a poster or two probably do live there, one does anyway, another used to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

brigadear, unfortunatley, with this type of thread you do tend to get a wide variety of often very conflicting opinions.
    Keep an eye on the thread, but also follow the links someone else posted earlier for more info. Go out to the area during the day, and during the night, and get an impression of the place. (Be aware that this weekend is bedlam all over Dublin, so I would wait a while before doing your night check).

If anyone on here lives in the area, it might be worth stating that when giving your impressions of the area; similarly for those who dont actually live there.

Personally I dont know the area well, so I'm sod all use to you I'm afraid! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

angel01 wrote: »
    The 38C doesn't go to Blanchardstown SC, The 236 does, however I usually get the Urbus to the shopping centre. I think its great and cheap too!

oops, that's right :o

Where do get the urbus from? I have never seen it up here.

creggy wrote: »

It comes right into the estate at the shops, not sure if every scheduled bus does so but that's where it enters the estate anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

creggy wrote: »
    oops, that's right :o

You get it from the 38C stop. check urbus.ie

Well I was up there today and have to say most of the areas seemed nice, especially down in Oakland village where they are still building, although dont think will be buying there with the price they asking. 4 bed asking price is 285k, which seems bit steep since prices are still falling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

My sister used to live there. she shared an apartment with another girl. They never experienced any type of anti-social behaviour.......

I do my shopping in the Lidl there and find it fine.

Have never been in to the Tiger Lily Boutique but it looks nice. Have been in to the kids shoe shop and it seemed to have a good selection.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

i lived in Tyrrelstown up until around a year ago

also worked in the area (ballycoolin) and have many friends who live in tyrrelstown

id strongly advise AGAINST buying there

the houses are really badly built - you can hear your neighbours phones beeping etc

the bus service is terrible and not that frequent / on time

takes forever to get to town

taxi from town costs a FORTUNE (35+ mark at least)

<SNIP>

its just around the corner from mulhuddart etc which is not the best area - lots of robbed cars, shootings etc.. a 23 year old guy was shot outside the shops 5 mins walk from tyrrelstown last week..

anyway just my experience of the place, ive lived in many areas and in a few countries and tyrrelstowns definitely the most depressing place out of the lot

sure we even got clamped for parking outside our hours! and the neighbours even painted their house number on a visitor parking spot and then denied it ! - people up there are proper ***** about parking and theres never anywhere to park, i guess its like that in lots of new places these days tho

as for that tyrrelstown forum, if i posted this up on there id probably get banned - and any people who bought gaffs in the area will be very protective as they dont like people bad mouthing their property prices

Some exaggerated claims above.

I'll start on the time it takes to town, 30-40 minutes at most off peak, haven't got a bus at peak times in a while but it wasn't more than an hour.

From the city centre the distance is about 9-10 miles, depending on what part of the city you're in so the taxi fare will be same for anywhere else in Dublin which is that distance out.

There's very little anti-social behaviour in the area, and what is there is usually acted upon very quickly, people have no problems ringing the gardai and they usually act on any tips etc. Take for example a recent spate of graffiti, residents found out who done it, info was passed onto the community garda and the person was confronted, admitted to it and it was all cleaned up.

If you were clamped outside your own house you were obviously not abiding by the management contract you signed up to and were parked on the footpath, that should have come as no surprise to you and again is no different than many recent developments. However clampers are no longer operational in the area bar around the shops. If you don't have more than 2 cars parking is not an issue, and because you had an issue with one particular neighbour claiming a spot it has no relevance to the rest of the area, you should have complained to the management agent (unless it was Smiths as they're useless).

I can't understand how you found the place depressing, I'm can only assume you didn't get involved in the community, be it the soccer, gaa or local quizzes and events or even your neighbours, the area is as vibrant as an individual wants it to be.

I will concede that noise levels can be a concern in some of the houses, however again that's been a common problem in most new developments in recent years, that apartment complex on the Snugborough Road at the N3 is paper thin for example.

The shooting has nothing whatsoever to do with the area, what happens in one place has no reflection on another.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

i lived in Tyrrelstown up until around a year ago.....................

From your post It sounds more like the actual complex you were in was poor rather than the neighbourhood itself.

There is the nightlink as an alternative.

its just around the corner from mulhuddart etc which is not the best area - lots of robbed cars, shootings etc.. a 23 year old guy was shot outside the shops 5 mins walk from tyrrelstown last week..

This has nothing to do with Tyrrelstown so need to mention it.

As a side Mulhuddart is a much longer walk then 5 mins from TT.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I would take this up with the taxi regulator. You were clearly ripped off. I never paid over €28 to get home to Tyrrelstown.

Which is pretty standard for town to D15 - I live in Clonsilla now and it costs aprox €24 to get a taxi. Which is why I get the nitelink!!!

And on the subject of nitelink. The 39N nitelink to T'stown is great compared to the 70N (to Ongar) which I get now which only runs twice a night.

OP I would suggest if you are thinking of moving to Tyrellstown you go up and drive/walk around and feel the vibe of the place.....

i lived in Tyrrelstown up until around a year ago

also worked in the area (ballycoolin) and have many friends who live in tyrrelstown

id strongly advise AGAINST buying there

the houses are really badly built - you can hear your neighbours phones beeping etc

the bus service is terrible and not that frequent / on time

takes forever to get to town

<SNIP>

anyway just my experience of the place, ive lived in many areas and in a few countries and tyrrelstowns definitely the most depressing place out of the lot

sure we even got clamped for parking outside our hours! and the neighbours even painted their house number on a visitor parking spot and then denied it ! - people up there are proper ***** about parking and theres never anywhere to park, i guess its like that in lots of new places these days tho

as for that tyrrelstown forum, if i posted this up on there id probably get banned - and any people who bought gaffs in the area will be very protective as they dont like people bad mouthing their property prices

I think you are exaggerating quite a bit. Dont know what taxi firm you used, but if I were you I would use a different one next time, 35 euro!!. I have lived in Blanchardstown for the last 10 years and the most I paid has been 25 euro. As for the shooting, as somebody pointed out thats a different area, and I know the area well as I use to live not far from it, cars get robbed everywhere, dosent matter if its Dublin 15 or Dublin 4. I was hoping to get a balanced view from everybody, but I know that I cant take your post serious. I just hope you were also making up about the noise level between houses.

brigadear wrote: »
    I just hope you were also making up about the noise level between houses.

I remember when I moved in there was something on the radio (Joe Duffy or the like) about the bad standard of houses built in D15 and the sound travelling between them etc etc.

My dad was really worried about this when he heard and he was always having a good aul "listen out" when in my aptmt. In the end he agreed that there was absolutely no problem with noise from other houses/aptmts.

I think at the time it was more about other houses/estates being built around the time (not naming any names!) that were built with wood frames rather than Tyrrelstown which is all blocks - I think.

Anyway, long story short I never had any problems with hearing my neighbours when in Tyrrelstown.

My current house is 20 years old and I can actually hear my neighbours plugging plugs into sockets but hey you get used to it lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AndreeaMac

Hi guys, I'm thinking of buying a house in Tyrelstown, but I see quite old reviews, I'm sure some things might have changed since 2009. I was interested in some opinions about the area. Is it considered a safe area? Or which parts of the village are considered better? Family friendly? What's the quality of the houses? What's the general feeling? Pros & Cons?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Goose Reckoning

AndreeaMac wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm thinking of buying a house in Tyrelstown, but I see quite old reviews, I'm sure some things might have changed since 2009. I was interested in some opinions about the area. Is it considered a safe area? Or which parts of the village are considered better? Family friendly? What's the quality of the houses? What's the general feeling? Pros & Cons?

There's a more recent thread, I can't post a proper link because I'm a new user but try this:
    www . boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105436095
    Some talk of antisocial behaviour and ghettos forming in the area would concern me. There are other settled and much nicer areas in Dublin 15 at a similar price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

AndreeaMac wrote: »

Been living here for nearly 15 years and have never had an issue, a few reports of gang violence and cocaine epidemics are ridiculously over exaggerated, it is probably one of the safest places to live in Dublin 15, I have lived in Clonsilla and Mulhuddart over the years and have had a car broken into and gangs hanging around the areas, Tyrrelstown is one of the quieter areas I have lived in

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Kyta

Been living here for nearly 15 years and have never had an issue, a few reports of gang violence and cocaine epidemics are ridiculously over exaggerated, it is probably one of the safest places to live in Dublin 15, I have lived in Clonsilla and Mulhuddart over the years and have had a car broken into and gangs hanging around the areas, Tyrrelstown is one of the quieter areas I have lived in

That's stretching the truth a little.

Andreaa do your own research, there's a facebook group called 'Tyrrelstown Neighbourhood Watch' who are active in trying to fight the crime problems and antisocial behaviour in the area. It's public so you can scroll back through the history to see the kind of problems residents have.

Also search google for 'Tyrrelstown gangs', there's various news articles, garda press releases, forum posts etc. detailing the problems in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭AlanG

Tyrrelstown is a pretty good area and probably still one of the best value for money areas to buy around the city. Public transport to town is a problem but other than that it is fine. There were a lot of stories emanating from one group and the family involved no longer lives in the are so don't waste your time with the now irrelevant "Tyrrelstown Gangs" story. The area has loads of good facilities, great schools, fine large houses and lots of jobs around. The fact that there is such an active neighborhood watch is actually a positive and ironically is usually a a sign of areas with lower crime rates. "Bad" areas generally don't have as much community involvement in activities that are not state funded.
    The village is not as good as it could be but that is more down to the rental prices charged than any other issue.
    Sure the area has issues but for what you pay per square foot you will be stretched to do better anywhere in D15.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Kyta wrote: »
    That's stretching the truth a little.

Andreaa do your own research, there's a facebook group called 'Tyrrelstown Neighbourhood Watch' who are active in trying to fight the crime problems and antisocial behaviour in the area. It's public so you can scroll back through the history to see the kind of problems residents have.

Also search google for 'Tyrrelstown gangs', there's various news articles, garda press releases, forum posts etc. detailing the problems in the area.

There are some problems in the area, Im not denying that, but not to the extent that is being made out mostly on social media and forums like this, a lot of areas in Dublin 15 have had their share of problems over the years but I would even say that Tyrrelstown probably has one of the lowest crime rates in Dublin 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Goose Reckoning

Tyrrelstown probably has one of the lowest crime rates in Dublin 15.

That is simply not true.
    Obviously you are not going to run your own area down, for fear of house prices falling or the stigma associated with being from a deprived area.
    All anybody thinking of buying there has to do (And I would encourage this) is a google search for the crime statistics and antisocial problems in the area.
    There are a lot of sources this info is coming from - people living in the area both past and present, the gardai, local councillors, media, etc.
    But apparently they are all conspiring together and creating fake news, because they have an agenda against the area? Or maybe (shock horror) they are actually telling the truth. You decide.

Are crime statistics published?? Like can you access crime statistics for tyrellstown? Or Cordiff? For example

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭AlanG

Published stats don't go into those details for crime. The best small area resource is probably the Pobal deprivation index which uses a lot of different elements. In it for 2016 Tyrrelstown is classed as above average affluence - similar classification to areas such as laurel lodge etc.
    https://maps.pobal.ie/WebApps/DeprivationIndices/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Show me the money.

If you want to compare area's compare the prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

beauf wrote: »
    Show me the money.

If you want to compare area's compare the prices.

Yeah Castleknock is a real kip compared to Foxrock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I don't get your point. They aren't the same value wise, regardless of how you spin it.

I wouldn't compare Tyrrelstown with Laurel Lodge because the later has vastly better transport options.

I'm not a big fan of crime statistics as they don't seem reliable.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/why-are-ireland-s-crime-statistics-in-disarray-1.2272970

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Well there was a murder there last night.

• Advertisement

Any official source or link for that?

Advertisement