Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Market Square Brasserie - Rant

Options
  • 27-10-2009 9:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

I am going to have a rant – so apologies in advance.

I was looking to book somewhere for Friday or Saturday of this week for dinner. Browsed through the lists on this page and decided it was between Market Square, River Bistro or French Table. I have been to the first two before but not in a long long time.

Decided to check out Tripadvisor for some current reviews. All was OK for the second two but for the Market Square this is what I found:

“Most enjoyable dining experience...friendly staff and value for money” – 26 Aug 2009 posted by ‘fullbelly’ (Limerick). Fullbelly has made only one contribution to Tripavvisor

“Consistency, great restaurant, great value” – 25 Aug 2009 posted by ‘opvdublin’ (Ireland). Opvdublin has made only one contribution to Tripavvisor

“great value and service” – 24 Aug 2009 posted by ‘jkr37’ (Clare). Jkr37 has made only one contribution to Tripavvisor

“Seriously gone downhill” – 2 Aug 2009 posted by ‘pinklady96’ (Galway). Pinklady96 has made 5 contributions to Tripavvisor

“Absolutely top class.....amazing value...” – 13 Jun 2009 posted by ‘twentyseven80’ (Limerick). twentyseven80 has made only one contribution to Tripavvisor

“Avoid if you don't want to be ripped off, Pub Standard Food in a nice but dimly lit room” – 11 Jun 2009 posted by ‘AgDulAmach’ (Dublin). AgDulAmach has made 2 contributions to Tripavvisor

Now, I am all for self promotion but does the restaurant think that we are stupid and cannot see what they are doing?? I know other establishments do this but surely that kind of blatant self-promotion is a bit desperate. Especially since on Tripadvsior the business has a right to respond to any reviews but would be better than just posting fictitious cr@p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Whats the problem?I've only ever posted on tripadvisor once and it was a glowing review for a hotel in Paris, I dont review every hotel I ever stay in, doesnt meant someone made them up

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Considering the fact that most people visit the interwebby to complain about services would stand to reason that their reviews should be a little more balanced.

If you are ever unsure about reviews then you should e-mail support@tripadvisor.com

I have never personally eaten there but I understand it is hard to get a booking which would mean that people will have high expectations of their meal which should mean there should be a higher amount of people feeling let down and heading to the internet to voice their opinions.

Single contribution people are usually, by all internet standards, circumventing the common rules of forums.

Need an example see http://www.boards.ie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I was reading an article about the dangers of trusting Trip advisor etc and they mentioned that one particular hotel in America had three glowing reviews about it on TA, unfortunatly the hotels ingenious plan was rumbled when punters looking to book rooms in the hotel were informed construction of the said hotel wouln't be finished for another 9 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

3 'amazing' reviews 3 days in a row after a bad review? I think that this is a bit coincidental to be genuine

3 'amazing' reviews 3 days in a row after a bad review? I think that this is a bit coincidental to be genuine

Menupages are even worse. They don't print negative reviews of restuarants that advertise with them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

The only place to trust so is Boards!

The only place to trust so is Boards!

Trust no one Tom. NO ONE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭PaddyThai

I looked up Hanratty's hotel on trip advisor out of curiosity. Many negative reviews but the hotel closed down ages ago and TA havn't taken it off their list.

Tripadvisor would put you off going anywhere! just out of interest there I looked up a hotel that me and the missus stayed in last year, its easily one of the nicest hotels e've ever stayed in but there were loads of negative reviews of the smallest things, I got really worried after booking a hotel in Paris earlier this year and read a bad review, when i got there the place couldnt have been nicer, some people are just too hard to please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I looked up the Jasmine and had to laugh at all the glowing reviews.

The food is terrible, as is the service, and way overpriced. Anyone that thinks otherwise can't have ever been to a good Chinese restaurant.

Oh and take a look at the carpet the next time you are there - filthy :eek:

• Advertisement

RonMexico wrote: »
    I looked up the Jasmine and had to laugh at all the glowing reviews.

The food is terrible, as is the service, and way overpriced. Anyone that thinks otherwise can't have ever been to a good Chinese restaurant.

Oh and take a look at the carpet the next time you are there - filthy :eek:

THANK YOU! I hate the place but everyone raves about it, I'd rather get the same food from the Wokking and take it home, same as Luigi Malones, fine for a big group or party but for a quiet meal, you'd be better off in Eddie Rockets, loud,loud,loud and alays full of hen parties

krudler wrote: »
    I'd rather get the same food from the Wokking and take it home,

The Wokking although a different kitchen has the same equipment(on a smaller spec) has the same ingredients and is cooked under the same direction of the Tsangs so buying food in the Wokking is better value.

Now, if they had an all you can eat Sunday Buffett in the Wokking then we would be sorted. :D

The Market Brasserie, dont they have something to do with The Hampstons on Henry St?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

The Jasmine is grand but deffo over rated that and the texas steakout nice food but jesus update the decor

The Jasmine is grand but deffo over rated that and the texas steakout nice food but jesus update the decor

I like the Texas, steaks are great but the menu needs an overhaul, its been the same forever, although as long as they dont get rid of the mushroom chicken mushroom dish I'll be happy :) Luigi's has its buffalo wings as its saving grace, oh and being able to get a long island ice tea with dinner is savage :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    I was reading an article about the dangers of trusting Trip advisor etc and they mentioned that one particular hotel in America had three glowing reviews about it on TA, unfortunatly the hotels ingenious plan was rumbled when punters looking to book rooms in the hotel were informed construction of the said hotel wouln't be finished for another 9 months.

I remember an episode of Gordon's Kitchen Nightmares where a terrible restaurant had great reviews online and Gordon made the owner into admit he had written them all himself.:D

krudler wrote: »
    I like the Texas, steaks are great but the menu needs an overhaul, its been the same forever, although as long as they dont get rid of the mushroom chicken mushroom dish I'll be happy :) Luigi's has its buffalo wings as its saving grace, oh and being able to get a long island ice tea with dinner is savage :D

Been in the Texas for Lunch recently. Very good value and more than 4 things on the menu. Burger for €7.95 including chips. Great Value.

I had a Baguette with Hot Beef, Salad and chips for €9.95. That is good value for an a la carte menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭daca88

had an extremely disappointing meal in Brasserie One
    - portions were tiny
    - service was terrible, was waiting an hour for main course and didn't even receive an apology. was not a busy night either
    - found it very pricey(but i wasn't paying so its all good:p)

the food tasted absolutely savage though!!!

By far the nicest place i have been has been The Hamptons! cant recommend it highly enough

Advertisement