Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LICENCES ARRIVED!!!

Options
  • 27-10-2009 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭

Got two in the post a few minutes ago, scans will follow shortly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Fantastic news Rovi. Great to hear. Looking forward to seeing how these turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭shannonpowerlab

Are you form Leinster region?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Front of complete document for my bolt-action .22 Sako:
    The actual 'Firearm Certificate' is embedded in the page, at the bottom left corner.
    sako22front.jpg

...and the back of the same document:
    sako22back.jpg

A few points of note:
    I applied for 1000 round of ammunition, and was issued 750.
    I ticked the 'Silencer' box, and there's no sign of anything about that anywhere that I can see. I've had an authorisation letter for my silencers for years. :(
    On the back of the 'Firearm Certificate', you can see the text "...a Rifle by SAKO of .220 Inches 0.73 bearing the serial number...". The "0.73" bit had me puzzled, until I looked at the shotgun one (see below). This looks like boo-boos are still easily inserted into this shiny new system (I'm pretty sure that's a 'translated' shotgun gauge there), and there's no differentiation between chamberings with the same (or similar) nominal calibre.

Close-up of the Mossberg shotgun Licence (front):
    mossbergfront.jpg

...and back:
    mossbergback.jpg

I applied for this as a "12 gauge", but that appears to have been translated (approximately) into 'metric inches'; 12 gauge = 0.729 inches.
    I also applied for 1000 rounds of ammunition, and was granted 750.

Have to go now, more thoughts will follow shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Woo hooo!

It begins, Rovi gets the gold star :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

when did you post you payment rovi?

I posted mine on wedsday evening via swift post so im hoping to get my license this week so i can pick up my gun this saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Got my 4 this morning also. (posted last Wednesday)

Ammo limit of 750 on both shotguns, applied for 1000.

No sign off the silencer on the .22lr or moderator on the .233. Was never contacted about either. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Disregard.

Are you form Leinster region?
    Yep, Laois.
    stevoman wrote: »
    when did you post you payment rovi?
    These two went in the post this day last week, Tuesday 20th.

More thoughts:
    The 'quality' of the Certificates is pretty disappointing.
    The whole document is printed on heavyish paper stock, and the 'Firearm Certificate' part is 'laminated' with plastic film on both sides, and perforated so that it can be removed. They're identical technology to the Countryside Alliance membership cards, for those that have them.
    They're VERY easy to de-laminate (guess how I know?), so be very careful when removing your own.
    This method of producing a card unfortunately leaves you with an item that is un-sealed around the edges, making it quite fragile and liable to soak up water.

Still, I got them, so that's progress in itself.

Rovi wrote: »
    I applied for this as a "12 gauge", but that appears to have been translated (approximately) into 'metric inches'; 12 gauge = 0.729 inches.

All mine have 0.73 also, even the .22lr and .223

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Congrats Rovi :) Just out if interest, when did you submit your forms?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

Terrier wrote: »
    Got my 4 this morning also. (posted last Wednesday)

Ammo limit of 750 on both shotguns, applied for 1000.

No sign off the silencer on the .22lr or moderator on the .233. Was never contacted about either. :mad:

So what happens then do you take it for granted that the mod is accepted or not :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Got mine this morning, posted grant letter last Tuesday, cheque lodged by An Post on Friday. Same deal as rovi ".22 Inches 0.73" - I have a .22 rimfiire bolt-action. Obviously some boo-boo with the way the data is entered or stored on Pulse. Bray (Wicklow) District.

johngalway wrote: »
    Congrats Rovi :) Just out if interest, when did you submit your forms?
    15th September, or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Congrats lads

Going to give the FO a call this afternoon when he arrives into work. Since certs are now being issued and I've had an application in since early-mid August with not so much as a letter of receipt yet, I'm not that impressed.

Going to give the FO a call this afternoon when he arrives into work. Since certs are now being issued and I've had an application in since early-mid August with not so much as a letter of receipt yet, I'm not that impressed.
    Would be worth a call alright. I submitted my re-application on Sept 18th, got nothing back until the grant letter last Tuesday. Maybe they are prioritising the licences due to expire on 31/10/09? Is yours a new application or a re-application for an existing?

fat-tony wrote: »
    Would be worth a call alright. I submitted my re-application on Sept 18th, got nothing back until the grant letter last Tuesday. Maybe they are prioritising the licences due to expire on 31/10/09? Is yours a new application or a re-application for an existing?

New application. New ones have been granted though from what I've seen.

Have had a look at this with the database hat on.

It appears that PULSE is still carved in the rock that Moses brought down the mountain with him :D

On the old licence there were five fields for describing the firearm: TYPE (Rifle, shotgun etc.), MAKE ('by, ....'), CALIBRE ('of...'), NUMBER (serial number) and CONDITIONS (usually 'None' for rifles).

It appears that these have been reassigned so you have still got the TYPE then MAKE, then you have the CALIBRE which appears to be a text field where they've put in 'single barrel' etc. for shotguns (remember the poster who said calibre was changed from 12 gauge to under and over on his form?) and then you have this extra field which gets the 0.73 for 12 gauge shotguns.

I believe this is the old 'CONDITIONS' field which has been converted for use as an extra calibre field for shotguns and since they're not using it for rifles it's bleeding through with the default value of 0.73. You'll notice the conditions are now printed on the back of the letter, presumably through a seperate operation.

The NUMBER field stays the same and the amount of ammo etc. are all as they were on the old licence.

So effectively we have the same licence but just made smaller.

There's no Pulse ID on the licence or on the accompanying letter. Don't know if this makes a problem for an RFD when you're purchasing ammo?

fat-tony wrote: »
    There's no Pulse ID on the licence or on the accompanying letter. Don't know if this makes a problem for an RFD when you're purchasing ammo?
    Probably not necessary. DOB is what they normally use to find you on Pulse, after all which are you more likely to remember? ;)

• Advertisement

It Wasn't Me - my grant approvals arrived this morning without ever getting any letters of receipt for any of them. Doesn't look like they're compulsory in order for the approvals to go ahead. Might be no harm in making a phone call tho!

LB6 wrote: »
    It Wasn't Me - my grant approvals arrived this morning without ever getting any letters of receipt for any of them. Doesn't look like they're compulsory in order for the approvals to go ahead. Might be no harm in making a phone call tho!

That's good to hear. I did wonder alright. I'll try get a toe in the door when the FO arrives in though and see whether he can shed any light on matters for me. I'd really quite like to get it sorted soon anyway, as an article 7 has to go to the north for approval before I can pick up the rifle, even after I get the licence. May also need to renew Europass actually, must check that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Gortglas

rrpc wrote: »
    Probably not necessary. DOB is what they normally use to find you on Pulse, after all which are you more likely to remember? ;)

Not in all cases, my licence, (still not arrived) was held up slightly at the beginning when it turned out that there is another man bearing the same name and date of birth as me, with a criminal record for aggrevated assualt.. Mothers maiden name and previous addresses sorted it for me, but none the less name and DOB was not enough..

Best of luck with meeting the FO. Now you mention the European Pass- with all this malarkie going on with the licences - I think they should have been issued at the same time - save on paperwork and resources. I know - one step at a time lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

On the issue of European Passes

For the same firearm:

My Irish FAC Expires on 31/10/2009
    My PSNI FAC expires on 10/04/2010
    Mu Euro Pass Expires on 31/07/2011

Obviously the PSNI and Europass licenses are contingent on a valid Irish FAC.

The wait goes on.

B'Man

Gortglas wrote: »
    Not in all cases, my licence, (still not arrived) was held up slightly at the beginning when it turned out that there is another man bearing the same name and date of birth as me, with a criminal record for aggrevated assualt.. Mothers maiden name and previous addresses sorted it for me, but none the less name and DOB was not enough..
    That's a great excuse :D

An inventive variation on the 'evil twin' defence ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Got my 4 this morning ............ beaten by Rovi on delivery time and 1st post here :D

Applied for 1000 rounds got 100 !
    Applied for Moderator on .22lr and as Rovi says nothing on licence

Not impressed ................ have contacted NGB's

• Registered Users Posts: 36 woodcock 52

Got my licence in post today for my Beretta with 700 rounds, sorted for next Sunday, all I need now is too meet some birds!:)

foxhunter wrote: »
    So what happens then do you take it for granted that the mod is accepted or not :confused:

My response to any garda enquiring will be check the forms I submitted (i have a copy also). According to the my grant letter my application had been successful so I'm taking it as approval until i hear otherwise!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Terrier wrote: »
    My response to any garda enquiring will be check the forms I submitted (i have a copy also). According to the my grant letter my application had been successful so I'm taking it as approval until i hear otherwise!

I'm in same boat as in no mention of Moddy and I applied on application etc

I have contacted my NGB's and an going to endeavour to get this sorted as assuming anything could lead to a prosecution :eek:

Advertisement