Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LICENCES ARRIVED!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

IWM & Sparks I know what your saying and I know ye're right :eek:

BUT.................sod it lads .................. I don't like golf as much as I like shooting :o

I'm dreading my renewals next time so ............................... :(

I get you bunny, I really do, and amn't looking to argue and be a dick for the funn of it. But unfortunately the law is clear. I don't like it either, for what it's worth. It's way too open to the abuses of small men in unfortunate positions of authority.
    Sparks wrote: »
    I know where you're coming from Bunny. And it's not just shooting - whenever I watch the news these days, half my head just screams obscenities at the box and the other half starts looking into emigration :(
    I know your pain. I did the emigration thing last time. Not going again :(

The idea of upping sticks for greener pastures where you're not treated like a criminal just for liking shooting, where the food and wine run well and the weather's nice has crossed my mind the odd time. I do speak French too...

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

I think the only place we would really fit in is the USA. No oppressive firearms laws. (depending on the state) Maybe we could get there as sports refugees :D:D. Being criminalised because of our chosen sport. Must be a special visa class for that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Well, if you had the money.The land of ,Sig,cuckoo clocks,and good chocolate is a good choice too.Still I'm sure we can fit another 250K worth of gunowners into the USA.No doubt the firearms sales will dramatically rise again once ye all arrive.:D:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭mrbig

The Guards Confirmed that my licence has been aproved and I will recieve the document in the post next week, So looks like I didnt need to remortage my house to asert that I had supplied sufficient documents and they had no reason to deny me my licence, unlike "It wasn't me!" I dont believe we have to encourage unreasonable demands from the Guards.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

mrbig wrote: »
    The Guards Confirmed that my licence has been aproved and I will recieve the document in the post next week, So looks like I didnt need to remortage my house to asert that I had supplied sufficient documents and they had no reason to deny me my licence, unlike "It wasn't me!" I dont believe we have to encourage unreasonable demands from the Guards.:D

Thanks for misrepresenting me there; I love when people do that. I said they're entitled, by law, to make that demand. I then *very clearly* stated that I don't like that as it stands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

Tikkat3 wrote: »
    Never did get that call back, so still waiting, long wait for two renewals especially after meeting the inspector and being told it was all in order way back at the start of October :(

Still waiting for my two renewals unfortunately.............Think I will have to call the Garda that I spoke to the last time and see what the delay is as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Well, if you had the money.The land of ,Sig,cuckoo clocks,and good chocolate is a good choice too.Still I'm sure we can fit another 250K worth of gunowners into the USA.No doubt the firearms sales will dramatically rise again once ye all arrive.:D:D

even the bus inspectors in switzerland are armed with a pistol so i am told ! most of the guards here don't be armed , too afraid it'd "up the ante" :rolleyes: .

But then most of the pouplation in Switzerland is armed,do military service,keep a govt issued assault rifle at home with it's ammo.Nearly everyone who works in the banking sector has a military rank. District Bank managers are usually around Major :eek:in rank[AIB,BOI ,NAMA muppetts take note].They have ranges like we have GAA pitches,encourage their kids to shoot from 10 onwards.
    Some schools have their own air rifle and pistol range.
    Depending on what canton you live in owning full auto isnt too much of a problem.Also they have a hot pursuit law,not to mind shooting at intruders,you can persue them off your property to the boundary using deadly force:eek::eek::eek:.Armed robbery of the person or institution,is a mandatory,no questions asked 20 years non parole sentence,wether you used a bananna or a bazooka.
    The country is clean,tidy,orderly,safe as houses at night,although it is pretty much closed up around 11oclock at night.Even the grafitti what there is of it,is quite tasteful and orderly.
    Got alot going for it.But it is expensive to live there,booze isnt cheap
    [8 euros a pint in Geneva:eek:] Very polite society and well armed as well.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Thanks for misrepresenting me there; I love when people do that. I said they're entitled, by law, to make that demand. I then *very clearly* stated that I don't like that as it stands.

Yes that was a bit unfair but my point still stands we should not just give in to the whims of the Guards and within reason demand that they stick to the actual rules and not add their own personal ones. Any way thanks for the advise which I did take note of and I agree if it the diference between licence and going to Court its probably better to swallow ones pride and just give in (but not to easily):)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

But then most of the pouplation in Switzerland is armed,do military service,keep a govt issued assault rifle at home with it's ammo.
    Bit of an urban myth that Grizzly, it's only about 20-30% of the male population. And from the few I've met and from the time spent there, the whole "polite and well-armed" idea is purely an external observation - over there it doesn't really even come into it, it'd be like describing the Irish as being celtic and bipedal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

But then most of the pouplation in Switzerland is armed,do military service,keep a govt issued assault rifle at home with it's ammo.Nearly everyone who works in the banking sector has a military rank. District Bank managers are usually around Major :eek:in rank[AIB,BOI ,NAMA muppetts take note].They have ranges like we have GAA pitches,encourage their kids to shoot from 10 onwards.
    Some schools have their own air rifle and pistol range.
    Depending on what canton you live in owning full auto isnt too much of a problem.Also they have a hot pursuit law,not to mind shooting at intruders,you can persue them off your property to the boundary using deadly force:eek::eek::eek:.Armed robbery of the person or institution,is a mandatory,no questions asked 20 years non parole sentence,wether you used a bananna or a bazooka.
    The country is clean,tidy,orderly,safe as houses at night,although it is pretty much closed up around 11oclock at night.Even the grafitti what there is of it,is quite tasteful and orderly.
    Got alot going for it.But it is expensive to live there,booze isnt cheap
    [8 euros a pint in Geneva:eek:] Very polite society and well armed as well.

get some of their versions of t.d's over here for a while do you think ? a sort of exchange programme, maybe send over o'dea and ahern :rolleyes:.

i did see a magazine article on a park in geneva where all the junkies congregated , it was pretty shocking even by dublin skanger standards , so its not all wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

rowa wrote: »
    i did see a magazine article on a park in geneva where all the junkies congregated , it was pretty shocking even by dublin skanger standards , so its not all wonderful.
    Wasn't that the park where the government distributed free clean needles and didn't arrest addicts for drug abuse in an effort to stop the spread of disease that was happening at the time from sharing needles and overdosing? Granted, it didn't work, but it was a decent bit of lateral thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

mrbig wrote: »
    I got a phoncall on saturday from a Guard who was insisting that I produce my Countryside alliance membership card, I foolishly mentioned that i had insurance through them, when i asked him why he needed this he said it was a condition of my licence and the applicastion would be rejected without it

Not to beat this point to death, but you must have felt that having the insurance was important enough to mention it to the Gardai in support of your application, so it's hardly surprising that they would then also consider it important enough to ask for it.

In addition to a Superintendent being able to attach conditions to a licence, they also have to consider whether you would be: "permitted to possess, use and carry the firearm and ammunition without danger to the public safety or security or the peace".

Having insurance could be considered a factor in that decision.

And yes, it is annoying, but all the advice here is aimed at saving you money, not at having a go at you.

In answer to rrpc this was not the case.
    I had atached a copy of my insurance. It was the fact that they also wanted a Countryside alliance membership card that I found unreasonable. In short after I went back to the Garda Station for the second time as they requested new Land permissions which I submitted along with my insurance they conacted me again and demanded that I return a third time to the station between 10 and 1 pm
    and present my Membership card. This is what I found unreasonable yes I want a gun Licence but what right have the guards to keep adding conditions after I present the complete documentation that originaly requested. My application was not unusual in any way appart from the fact that it was for two guns.
    BTW the application has been granted so I don't think this was ever a stipulation of the Supertendent but more of a Guard on a power trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Sparks wrote: »
    Wasn't that the park where the government distributed free clean needles and didn't arrest addicts for drug abuse in an effort to stop the spread of disease that was happening at the time from sharing needles and overdosing? Granted, it didn't work, but it was a decent bit of lateral thinking.

Off topic, but........It was in Zurich and known locally as "Needle Park." The junkies/prostitutes took it over, much to the disgust of the local citizenry. Then the city sort of relented when it realised that it was best to keep the skangers coralled in the park. When it reached the stage that the police went in every morning to collect the dead/ODs, etc., the socialworkers launched the needle exchange programme. Park was a no-go area, heard it is now back to normal but I haven't been there for years.

+1 on Sparks 20-30% for firearms at home, but all males at 19 have compulsory mil service. of a few months followed until age 40ish by manouvers every year, paid for by employer. Personal weapon is held at home. Emphasis on guerilla warfare, bombing passes, disruption of tunnels, etc. There was a referendum on abolishing the army (popular idea) but then 911 happened so it got nailed. The guy I used to do business with there was in the Navy reserve, always came over here with his sailing gear on the chance I could get him a berth. Their Navy is mainly FPBs on the lakes and he did some time on a merchantman in teh Med.
    P.

[
    QUOTE=pedroeibar1;64662964]Off topic, but........It was in Zurich and known locally as "Needle Park." The junkies/prostitutes took it over, much to the disgust of the local citizenry. Then the city sort of relented when it realised that it was best to keep the skangers coralled in the park. When it reached the stage that the police went in every morning to collect the dead/ODs, etc., the socialworkers launched the needle exchange programme. Park was a no-go area, heard it is now back to normal but I haven't been there for years.

Pretty much as you describe.Still got the junkies though,but what town in the civilised world doesnt have Heroin addicts nowadays?

compulsory mil service. of a few months followed until age 40ish by manouvers every year, paid for by employer. Personal weapon is held at home. Emphasis on guerilla warfare, bombing passes, disruption of tunnels, etc. There was a referendum on abolishing the army (popular idea) but then 911 happened so it got nailed. The guy I used to do business with there was in the Navy reserve, always came over here with his sailing gear on the chance I could get him a berth. Their Navy is mainly FPBs on the lakes and he did some time on a merchantman in teh Med.
    P.
    To think that a landlocked country like Switzerland has a navy,not to mind a Merchant navy is one thats hard to swallow.Until you actually see one of their merchantmen.An ocean going vessel not much bigger in length than an average Rhine barge,and able to navigate Europes canals,or head out to sea around Europe.Does show inititave and lateral thinking.

Thought it was 65 for the mil service??Still and all it isnt a bad idea.Do your 12 weeks basic,come out once a year for the active service,and go home.Good troop rota,and doesnt require a massive standing army.

Still and all 20to 25% of the male pouplation having arms,thats a damn good percentage.What other country in Europe could come close to that??

Finally after over 6 months of waiting, my grant notice letters arrived today for my two unrestricted renewals. This was after many phone calls to the Garda who took my applications and finally when nothing was happening I called the previous F.O. who has since moved station but is a friend of mine and within the week, I recieved my letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Finally after over 6 months of waiting, my grant notice letters arrived today for my two unrestricted renewals. This was after many phone calls to the Garda who took my applications and finally when nothing was happening I called the previous F.O. who has since moved station but is a friend of mine and within the week, I recieved my letters.

Ah good old Ireland. Its not what you know, but who you know ;):D

Happy shooting ;)

chem wrote: »
    Ah good old Ireland. Its not what you know, but who you know ;):D

Happy shooting ;)

Thanks Chem,

For over 6 months I phone called on several occassions and was promissed call back after call back, none came. Very frustrating when everything had been approved by the inspector at the start during an interview where I explained my requirements, moderator included.

Finally, rang previous F.O. to ask for advice on how to move things forward as I was getting no where and was very conscious of having unlicensed firearms in my home.

He suggested I wait a day or so and follow up with a call to the new F.O. During said call, I asked for a letter of comfort or cover letter stating that they had recieved my renewal applications and that I was covered to legally own said firearms. I was told this was not neccessary :rolleyes: and 3 days later my grant letters arrived.

Just glad to have them now to be honest and hopefully this wont be the same process every 3 years! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Thanks Chem,

For over 6 months I phone called on several occassions and was promissed call back after call back, none came. Very frustrating when everything had been approved by the inspector at the start during an interview where I explained my requirements, moderator included.

Finally, rang previous F.O. to ask for advice on how to move things forward as I was getting no where and was very conscious of having unlicensed firearms in my home.

He suggested I wait a day or so and follow up with a call to the new F.O. During said call, I asked for a letter of comfort or cover letter stating that they had recieved my renewal applications and that I was covered to legally own said firearms. I was told this was not neccessary :rolleyes: and 3 days later my grant letters arrived.

Just glad to have them now to be honest and hopefully this wont be the same process every 3 years! :)

Been on that twisty road myself Tikkat :rolleyes: I could write a book at this stage, but i would have to put it in the fiction section, because noone would believe it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭eireshot

i was told on Thursday that their still only processing November's applications, anyone else told this?.

I'm not surprised.:rolleyes: If it is anything to go by our lot.
    Sent them in a copy of one gun being in storage[Remington1100 shotgun],signed by dealer and a note to say it has been converted to unrestricted both photocopied and sent. Sent back from the supers office,could they have the original letter of conversion?Sent that,wait two weeks,note back they want the original letter of conversion,sent that.Wait three weeks,could they then have the original of the letter of storage ,and the letter of conversion is no good,they wanted this on original letterhead as well,and the original as well.Duely sent...Wonder whats next??proably could they have it As Gailige no doubt.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

FIVE WEEKS of toing and froing which could have been simply done by ONE letter saying they require the originals.Feck that! Even a phone call would do.......:mad: ....Even my local FAO is getting peed off with their attitude.He is still working on Octs batch,because of this pettiness and carry on.Multiply my case by 50 plus people around God knows how many districts in Ireland,and then we wonder why there are no Gardai around on the beat???

Just an update :)

Recieved my grant letters last Friday, paid at post office today.

Came home from work today and had a letter from AGS to tell me that my applications had been recieved and will be processed in the normal 3 month time frame..................over 6 months after I sent my renewals in :rolleyes:

And apparently, I now possess weapons, not firearms.

quote: 'This application is in reference to the following weapon' priceless!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Iv'e got all my licences awhile now, and yet this morning I recieved two letters saying that two of my licences are being evaluated.dunnod.gif Look's like the're going around in circles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

marlin vs wrote: »
    Iv'e got all my licences awhile now, and yet this morning I recieved two letters saying that two of my licences are being evaluated.dunnod.gif Look's like the're going around in circles.

Hello Marlin vs
    Can you post a scan or the exact wording of the letters with personal details removed.

Dvs.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

We seem to be on a magic roundabout in this country at moment the only problem is nobody no`s were the exit is.

Sounds like the same letters I recieved :rolleyes:

Dvs, the wording is:

Dear XX,

Your application for a firearm license has been recieved at XX Garda Station, Tel: XXXX.

Your application number is XXXX. Please quote this number in any correspondence.

Your application will be evaluated in accordance with current firearms legislation which provides for a maximum time of 3 months for this evaluation. A decision will normally be communicated before XXXX

This application is in reference to the following weapon:

Firearm type: X
    Maker: X
    Serial no: X

Your sincerely,

Superintendent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Lads and Ladies, have no fear - I bring you good and joyous news!:D:rolleyes:

The letter you've all recieved is in fact the acknowledgement letter for your FAC application! Go figure!:rolleyes:

As you've already recieved your grant letters and have your licences (from what I understand from the earlier posts), this seems to be some art of admin cock-up.

To be on the safe side, I checked the wording you've given above against my own letters (2) of acknowledgement, and the wording is exactly the same.

So no need to worry or fret!:)

(That is: Unless the PTB are now reviewing and evaluating our applications retrospectively after the granting of the licence - Now that's a horrible scary thought:eek: - But IMHO not the case here.:))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

Given that marlin vs has not posted the text of their letter received yesterday,
    and Tikkat3 does not clearly state if the letters to which they refer,
    were received yesterday as in the marlin vs post,
    after having licence grant letter and license issued already,
    or in the normal chain of events after submitting an application,
    perhaps we should wait until they clarify this before,
    bringing the good and joyous news!

The horrible scary thought would be my concern.

Dvs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

True - Let's wait and see what the text of marlinvs' letter was.
    Dvs, the wording is:

Dear XX,

Your application for a firearm license has been recieved at XX Garda Station, Tel: XXXX.

Your application number is XXXX. Please quote this number in any correspondence.

Your application will be evaluated in accordance with current firearms legislation which provides for a maximum time of 3 months for this evaluation. A decision will normally be communicated before XXXX

This application is in reference to the following weapon:

Firearm type: X
    Maker: X
    Serial no: X

Your sincerely,

Superintendent

That's the text of tikkat3's letter as posted earlier - But you're right, he doesn't say whether this is the exact text of the letter to which marlinvs was refering.

Perhaps when marlinvs can post the text of his letter and tikkat3 can confirm when his letter was recieved, we'll be able to give a more definitive opinion.

But just to point you back to my earlier post and ask you to read it again:
    As you've already recieved your grant letters and have your licences (from what I understand from the earlier posts), this seems to be some art of admin cock-up.

and
    Now that's a horrible scary thoughteek.gif - But IMHO not the case here

(My new italics above to highlight that it seems to be a cock-up and it's only in my humble opinion)
    The horrible scary thought would be my concern

That would indeed be a horrible and scary thought and we would all need to be extremely concerned if that proves to be the case - but based on the scant information we have to hand, I'm going to stick to my opinion - until we hear some more information.

This would be the first mention of any such action (i.e. retrospective license reviews) taking place - and I don't think we should be getting too worried just yet. If it proves to be true - then by all means, unleash hell, but until then, let's keep nice and calm and not be unduly worried.:)

Oh and by the way, you see the two funny little shapes at the end of this sentence:
    Lads and Ladies, have no fear - I bring you good and joyous news!biggrin.gifrolleyes.gif

One indicates a big grin (signifying a humorous, if somewhat facetious, remark) combined with the other funny little face which indicates a level of sarcasm was being used in my response. Look here it is again.....:D;)

;)

Advertisement